Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Yup. We are going to be huge with AG focussing his energies at the 3 ya'll.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2016/7/29/12319088/Aaron-Gordon-future-here-Orlando-Magic

I hate to say it, but this article is not very informative or interesting. It's basically blowing smoke up the fans' asses and hyping Gordon, which is fine. But it also reeks of pure optimism and more of the same excuses I've heard all off-season. Two things in particular made me question the writers' intelligence and motives.

First, the line about no one developing under Skiles is a joke. Vic and Fournier both developed well under Skiles, as did Gordon, just not as a 3. Gordon, by year's end, was a really solid 4, which is tremendous for such a young kid, especially one whose rookie year was stolen by injury. Fournier developed as a leader and a defender, while becoming more consistent with his scoring. Vic rebounded from a terrible offensive start to finally become an efficient player on offense, while becoming a legitimate beast on D. Skiles helped with all of that, clearly. Hell, even Vuc developed, growing as a passer and late-game scorer, and rebounding as a shot-blocker. Dedmon grew by leaps and bounds (pun intended). The only young guy who didn't really develop much was Payton.

Second, the last line comes out of nowhere. Why take shots at Oladipo? At what point was Oladipo anything but a model teammate and hard worker? He handled being benched mid-season with class and played his way back into the starting lineup. To try to paint Oladipo as some prima donna is disrespectful and absurd.

Other than that, the article was fluff. Gordon is going to be a new player as a full time 3, according to the writer. Okay. Awesome.

I hate to say it, but this article is not very informative or interesting. It's basically blowing smoke up the fans' asses and hyping Gordon, which is fine. But it also reeks of pure optimism and more of the same excuses I've heard all off-season. Two things in particular made me question the writers' intelligence and motives.

First, the line about no one developing under Skiles is a joke. Vic and Fournier both developed well under Skiles, as did Gordon, just not as a 3. Gordon, by year's end, was a really solid 4, which is tremendous for such a young kid, especially one whose rookie year was stolen by injury. Fournier developed as a leader and a defender, while becoming more consistent with his scoring. Vic rebounded from a terrible offensive start to finally become an efficient player on offense, while becoming a legitimate beast on D. Skiles helped with all of that, clearly. Hell, even Vuc developed, growing as a passer and late-game scorer, and rebounding as a shot-blocker. Dedmon grew by leaps and bounds (pun intended). The only young guy who didn't really develop much was Payton.

Second, the last line comes out of nowhere. Why take shots at Oladipo? At what point was Oladipo anything but a model teammate and hard worker. He handled being benched mid-season with class and played his way back into the starting lineup. To try to paint Oladipo as some prima donna is disrespectful and absurd.

Other than that, the article was fluff. Gordon is going to be a new player as a full time 3, according to the writer. Okay. Awesome.

Agree with pretty much everything you said. The article reads like a 9 year old Magic fan wrote it.

Agree with pretty much everything you said. The article reads like a 9 year old Magic fan wrote it.

Actually, pessimistism is an very common trait amongst adults with immaturity issues.

The article gives an general positive but cautious approach to the possibilities of AG in an new role as our "guy".

The line about Vic? Who knows? I didn't understand it either.

Actually, pessimistism is an very common trait amongst adults with immaturity issues.

The article gives an general positive but cautious approach to the possibilities of AG in an new role as our "guy".

The line about Vic? Who knows? I didn't understand it either.

It just wasn't filled with anything of substance. It was mostly conjecture.

It just wasn't filled with anything of substance. It was mostly conjecture.

I know and that's usually what makes an good article but sometimes, a good general positive article can be a nice addition as well.

Off topic but I'm bored and it's my annual 'no Magic basketball so let's go look at draft prospects for hours' phase: I wish we could both make the playoffs and draft Markelle Fultz. Dude looks legit. Like a more bouncy Exum with a flashier handle.

Well, the world is kinda horrible of you're not pretending.

Well, the world is kinda horrible of you're not pretending.

Ehh, there's always good and bad. The bad just keeps the audience in tune. The media giants know this. Profits....

The grass is greener on the side one wants to water the most.

A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn’t see the clouds at all – he’s walking on them.

– Leonard Louis Levinson