Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Payton you don't even think we're a good team yet. I think we're a top six team in the East right now with our roster. I think people are underestimating how good we're going to be. We have a good balance on our roster than what we've had in a long time. A good mix of defense, shooting, athleticism, and veteran presence with playoff experience. I believe Ibaka is going to be huge for us and I really like our second unit coming off the bench. Just a prediction but having Biyombo, Green Hezonja, Meeks, and Augustin coming in is pretty good.

We are in theory but I'd like to see us play basketball first

I dont think we are done yet. There is clearly not enough offense in this team yet. We need more offense in order to secure a spot in the playoff.

We are definetely a better team with a better coach but other teams in the EAST also got better this offseason.

This is who I see it:

Boston, Cleveland, Toronto are clearly better.

Charlotte, Detroit, Bucks are strong teams that will compete for a playoff run and in my opinion are better overall teams. A

Atlanta, Chicago,New York, Indiana and Orlando got better this offseason. This 5 teams I have a really hard time ranking. Either of This five teams can be a top 5 or a bottom 5 team in the East.

-Atlanta has a big question mark in my book. They still have Millsap which was clearly their best player last year and the Addition of Howard should make them in theory a better defensive team. It seems as DH is healthy and this can be good for this team. The rest of the roster is very similar except that now Schroeder will be playing most of the minutes at the PG position. Schroeder is better, younger and likely the future PG of this team. Success of this team will depend on Korver's and Bazemore shooting. I think they can be better this year with the addition of DH. Horford and Millsap were both playing outside the paint a lot last year as they were shooting a lot of 3's. DH will remain in paint more time spreading the offense giving more ample space for Korver and Bazemore. Their rotation is poor with no really much depth at the bench.

I can see us going ahead of them.

-New York improved their defense with the addition of Noah and Lee. The combination of Lee, Carmelo, Porzingis and Noah is interesting not to mention The addition of Rose. The offense is there for sure. They have a very good defensive team with a clearly better offense than us. It will be interesting how Noah, Jennings and Rose play this season. It all depends on their health. If they are healthy they will be better than us.

-Chicago also improved in my opinion. The addition of Rondo is clearly and upgrade over Rose not because he is a better player but because he can create for other players and his offense is truly not needed. His defense should be better as well. Rondo, Wade, Butler, McDermott, Lopez, Mirotic, Portis and Gibson makes it a very interesting rotation. Not to mention Denzel Valentin. He can easely take over any time Wade will be out. He will be very good. They have a very decent Defense with also a better overall team offense than Orlando.

-Indiana has been good over the past few years. I am not sure if the addition of Teague is any better than HIll. Teague is clearly a better player in my opinion but Hill is a better teamate. Al Jefferson is a good offensive player who is declining. He lacks defense in my opinion can hurt them in the front court. I see him more in the bench. They are and extremetly good offensive team with George, Teague, Ellis, Young and Jefferson as potential starters. Their defense seems to be an issue here. Their bench is much better this season with Lawson, Turner, Miles, Evans and Allen coming off the bench. Turner is a stud and extremely good defensive player. Their success will depend on their bench and Turner can easily makes them win or loose games. I see us a tiny bit ahead of Indiana just because of coaching. Vogel knows their system well.

what's with the payton hatred on this board... payton is good man, good dribbler, good penetrator, plays defense, can pass too... scott skiles system ruined payton...

skiles system on offense was dumb and dull... just constantly having ppl running to the top of the key to either shoot or drive... kinda like how the global trotters run their offense.... payton was being used the wrong way... payton is a creator and needs to be played like the old gary payton/jason kidd..... glad skiles quit man, waste of time on that dude, clueless as a head coach, so predictable on offense, jac vaugn was a better offensive coach than scott was, yes, that's how sad he was

Dear God, man... just stop. Please, people. Stop blaming Skiles for Payton sucking. He sucked under Vaughn as well, people were just more willing to ignore his faults as a rookie, hilariously, for the same reason they are now: because they blamed all his faults on the coach. Did Skiles' system cause him to shoot Dwight Howard level bad from the FT line? Did Skiles cause him to half-ass it on both sides of the floor for most of his minutes? Did Skiles cause him to shoot poorly from every spot on the floor except right under the basket? But you're right. Skiles did use Payton the wrong way. The right way would have been off the bench. But Skiles didn't have another healthy NBA point guard on the roster, so he was forced to start him.

But making comments like 'Jacgue Vaughn was a better offensive coach' is indicative of a lack of understanding of basic basketball knowledge, or even the ability or willingness to read statistics. Skiles' offense was better in PPG, ORTG, Pace, basically everything, while also being better defensively, which added up to a ten win improvement over Vaughn's best team. Hate Skiles all you want, man. I hate him, too. But hate him for quitting on the team, not being a bad coach. Because at worst Skiles showed himself an above average coach for Orlando last season.

Despite the questions surrounding the Magic entering the season, there seems to be the establishment of an identity. The Magic can play bigger than their opponents and devote themselves to offense without giving up defensive balance by playing Vucevic alongside Ibaka.

In addition, they can go small by either sliding Ibaka to the center position alongside Gordon or Green or by using Biyombo at center with similar combinations. Despite not being well-rounded, the Magic roster does have some versatility.

The Magic’s new additions make the Magic interesting again. They give the Magic a mystique that they haven’t had in recent memory. They make the Magic different than other NBA teams. They give the fans a reason to watch the Magic after suffering through winning just over 31 percent of their games over the past four seasons.

If the Magic find cohesion, they will take a step forward this season.

http://amicohoops.ne...into-solutions/

Kinda off topic, but:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/17102719/draymond-green-golden-state-warriors-says-plan-change-recent-incidents

What is with this guy? Trying to realize your faults and remedy them is a part of life(most people twice his age will agree they are still a work in progress if they are being honest with themselves). I can understand if he's saying he'll still be a tough guy on the court(he should probably stop hitting people in the nuts though), but it's pretty foolhardy to think he doesn't need to examine his behavior off the court after the East Lansing incident.

Yeah it's gotten you this far but what's going to get you further?

what's with the payton hatred on this board... payton is good man, good dribbler, good penetrator, plays defense, can pass too... scott skiles system ruined payton...

skiles system on offense was dumb and dull... just constantly having ppl running to the top of the key to either shoot or drive... kinda like how the global trotters run their offense.... payton was being used the wrong way... payton is a creator and needs to be played like the old gary payton/jason kidd..... glad skiles quit man, waste of time on that dude, clueless as a head coach, so predictable on offense, jac vaugn was a better offensive coach than scott was, yes, that's how sad he was

Skiles was part of the problem but Payton was inconsistent even defensively. Not just offensively. There were games where he just didn't show up.

It sounded more like he was going to play small forward more this year, so he is a small forward. Otherwise, it didn't sound like he much cared what position he was playing, as long as he got to play.

It sounded more like he was going to play small forward more this year, so he is a small forward. Otherwise, it didn't sound like he much cared what position he was playing, as long as he got to play.

Yeah I know but what he's working this off season on shows he going to be more perimeter oriented.

I think we're molding him in the Tmac/GHill mold. Not saying he'll have the same stats or results.

Yeah I know but what he's working this off season on shows he going to be more perimeter oriented.

I think we're molding him in the Tmac/GHill mold. Not saying he'll have the same stats or results.

No doubt. Just thought his attitude on his position seemed to be very healthy- he will play anywhere required. Too often, I read or hear players claim that they play ____________ position, and they seem unwilling to play at other positions.

If his skills improve, as I think they should, he should be well suited to be our Swiss army knife that can be played anywhere to take advantage of the other team.