Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

So we got tired of marble getting a decent chance to produce yet missing shots and traded him for a guy who might not be an nba player but can at least shoot.

That's about all you can hope for in a deal like this.

Exactly, he probably won't even play. The Clippers are expected to cut Marble, which is the same thing we would have done.

Rob has had an eye on Wilcox and almost got him at the deadline. I think he'll be a Meeks replacement when/if not retained next summer.

Wilcox has also spent 2 yrs working with Redick, so hopefully he picked some things up.

Decent move. Wilcox is a capable young player who can shoot. His addition could see us use Hezonja more at SF...

SG: Fournier / Meeks / Wilcox

SF: Gordon / Green / Hezonja

From the looks of it we may be best off using them in this way because all three SGs can shoot and knock down three pointers. Leaving us with Gordon who does more damage as a finisher at this point , and with more minutes and development, Hezonja could add a shooting threat from the SF position which would be useful if we go with a Ibaka and Biyombo pairing.

The awkward one here is Jeff Green. A one year $15 million deal suggests he's going to get minutes, perhaps even starts. I don't want to see him reduce AG or Mario's minutes, so perhaps he shifts to more PF minutes unless we strengthen that depth chart in the coming days.

Decent move. Wilcox is a capable young player who can shoot. His addition could see us use Hezonja more at SF...

SG: Fournier / Meeks / Wilcox

SF: Gordon / Green / Hezonja

From the looks of it we may be best off using them in this way because all three SGs can shoot and knock down three pointers. Leaving us with Gordon who does more damage as a finisher at this point , and with more minutes and development, Hezonja could add a shooting threat from the SF position which would be useful if we go with a Ibaka and Biyombo pairing.

The awkward one here is Jeff Green. A one year $15 million deal suggests he's going to get minutes, perhaps even starts. I don't want to see him reduce AG or Mario's minutes, so perhaps he shifts to more PF minutes unless we strengthen that depth chart in the coming days.

No way Mario's role/minutes gets pushed down so much because of CJ Wilcox.

There's plenty of flexibility

This new iteration of the Magic is flawed, there's not doubt about that. The good news is that there are some interesting trade chips at general manager Rob Hennigan's disposal. Vucevic is on a very team-friendly contract and Meeks and C.J. Watson are on expiring contracts. If someone gets buyer's remorse after this offseason of crazy spending (the Mavericks and Harrison Barnes? The Trail Blazers and Allen Crabbe?) Orlando could pounce and add another piece that fits them better.

If they don't, next offseason they could have as much as $24 million in cap space, even accounting for Ibaka's cap hold. It's hard to see them getting a premier free agent but someone like Danilo Gallinari or any other addition who could help on offense could allow for incremental improvement. The Magic can still get better.

If the mandate from ownership was to improve, Hennigan likely pulled that off. The way he did it might not have been the best but the roster he assembled seems well-suited for Vogel's strengths, should win more games than last season and could sneak into the postseason.

If that seems like a modest goal, it's because it is. Not every team can compete for a title, though, and the Magic seem ready to be content with returning to relevance. After five years of bad basketball, it's hard to blame them

http://www.sbnation....bismack-biyombo

No way Mario's role/minutes gets pushed down so much because of CJ Wilcox.

Unless we see Hezonja as a SG (?), I suspect his main minutes will be at SF, most likely backing up Gordon, with Green getting most of his minutes as the backup PF with some minutes at SF. I don't expect Hezonja to see his minutes reduced overall, but he might see less minutes at SG unless that is seen as his primary position.

In hindsight I should have put Hezonja in front of Green at SF, and put Green as the back up PF, with Gordon getting some minutes there as well in certain line ups.

Unless we see Hezonja as a SG (?), I suspect his main minutes will be at SF, most likely backing up Gordon, with Green getting most of his minutes as the backup PF with some minutes at SF. I don't expect Hezonja to see his minutes reduced overall, but he might see less minutes at SG unless that is seen as his primary position.

In hindsight I should have put Hezonja in front of Green at SF, and put Green as the back up PF, with Gordon getting some minutes there as well in certain line ups.

hezonja is going to get whatever backup SG minutes are available after whatever Meeks gets. Wilcox is going to be a garbage time guy/filler in case of injury.

http://orlandomagicdaily.com/2016/07/15/nikola-vucevic-i-still-believe-im-the-starter/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"That’s how it was for me. i was starting. I don’t expect that to change. I think I have proven I am definitely a starter in this league and I believe one of the best centers in this league. I don’t believe there is any reason for me to come off the bench. I have spoken to the Magic about it. They know that. That’s no disrespect to Bismack and he proved a lot last season and had a great playoff. But I believe I will still be a starter and one of the main guys on the team going forward as well.”'

http://orlandomagicdaily.com/2016/07/15/nikola-vucevic-i-still-believe-im-the-starter/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"That’s how it was for me. i was starting. I don’t expect that to change. I think I have proven I am definitely a starter in this league and I believe one of the best centers in this league. I don’t believe there is any reason for me to come off the bench. I have spoken to the Magic about it. They know that. That’s no disrespect to Bismack and he proved a lot last season and had a great playoff. But I believe I will still be a starter and one of the main guys on the team going forward as well.”'

:panicworker: :panicworker: :panicworker: :panicworker: :panicworker: :panicworker: :panicworker: