Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

Good 30 mins podcast from Dante & Jeff Turner talking about our moves over the summer and an interview with Aaron Gordon. AG says Vogel sent him a clip of him grabbing a rebound and bring the ball up the court to initiate the offense; signifying AG will be used as a point forward. He's also very excited to play the 3 this year.

GHill part duex

I loved seeing that part of AG's game last season and happy to see Vogel wants more of it. Every time I saw him do that I was thinking this will become something really effective in the future. It's such a great weapon to have someone grab a rebound and as they are landing they are already sprinting towards our hoop. It opens up so many possibilities on the fast break compared to the conventional big man grabbing the rebound with their back to our ring and looking to dish to the PG.

I loved seeing that part of AG's game last season and happy to see Vogel wants more of it. Every time I saw him do that I was thinking this will become something really effective in the future. It's such a great weapon to have someone grab a rebound and as they are landing they are already sprinting towards our hoop. It opens up so many possibilities on the fast break compared to the conventional big man grabbing the rebound with their back to our ring and looking to dish to the PG.

It is most effective when he plays pf. There are a lot of small forwards that can do it.

I wonder if we will even have a chance to sign a max guy next offseason. The CBA will be opted out of and the league is going to try and prevent this kind of player movement

I dont think the league can afford doing that considering the tv contracts they got. The NBA players association will not allow it. They cant afford a strike.

The Cap will continue to increase as scheduled. The can regulate the increase which might affect few teams but will conitbue to increase nevertheless.

We can sign a max player next year considering minor tweaks.

I dont think the league can afford doing that considering the tv contracts they got. The NBA players association will not allow it. They cant afford a strike.

The Cap will continue to increase as scheduled. The can regulate the increase which might affect few teams but will conitbue to increase nevertheless.

We can sign a max player next year considering minor tweaks.

what they should do is limit the salary cap growth from year to year at 10%. then redistribute any excess money to the players similar to what happens when a team doesn't reach the salary floor.

what they should do is limit the salary cap growth from year to year at 10%. then redistribute any excess money to the players similar to what happens when a team doesn't reach the salary floor.

I can see that happening just to avoid more of super teams building, specially in the major cities.

They need to increase the rookie salary as well. This will prevent some teams over spending or having multiple first round picks like philadelphia has been doing over the past few years.

First round picks should be around 7 millions to start.

I wonder who our 14th player is going to be.

I'm kinda hoping for Kendrick Perkins, quincy acy, Christian wood, Elton Brand

I see a veteran fa signing for a 1 year contract. Im not sure if they are still available but I a guy like mike miller or james jones come to mind.

It could be argued that Ibaka was brought in to mentor Gordon. Ibaka has only one year remaining on his contract before becoming an unrestricted free agent. Perhaps the Magic just want to bring in a veteran power forward to take Gordon under his wing while still splitting minutes and easing him into a bigger role.

That’s what’s gotten lost in the Ibaka trade and what it means for Gordon’s future. It is possible that it’s a short-term move which enables Orlando to see what it has before next year’s free agency. If Gordon flourishes in 2016-’17, the team won’t have to re-sign Ibaka next offseason. However, if Ibaka is clearly a better fit for Vogel’s plans for the franchise, the Magic can trade Gordon while he still has value. However, it’s likely he’ll have an expanded role regardless of which forward position he plays in 2016-’17. Despite limited playing time, he improved in every statistical category — except free throw percentage — from his rookie season in 2015-’16.

Moreover, Gordon’s performance in last year’s Slam Dunk Contest made him a budding NBA star. That’s something the Magic haven’t had since Dwight Howard left town in 2012. Oladipo was the player who seemed most capable of filling that void, but he’s gone now. It’s all on Gordon to be the face of the franchise.

To do so, however, he can’t be stuck on the bench, especially in his third season. There is no room for excuses anymore. He needs to get more minutes in his third season and perform like a high-end lottery pick. However, Orlando will need to figure out his role before that can take place.

http://www.todaysfas...on-fit-orlando/

I can see that happening just to avoid more of super teams building, specially in the major cities.

They need to increase the rookie salary as well. This will prevent some teams over spending or having multiple first round picks like philadelphia has been doing over the past few years.

First round picks should be around 7 millions to start.

I really don't care about superteams. that happens so rarely and its impossible to prevent them. Not when guys take paycuts to make it happen.

any sensible increase in rookie salary isn't going to prevent teams collecting multiple first rounders. that's just the smart way to rebuild.

the number 1 pick should start around 7 million then decrease from there to about 1.2 million. right now it's at 4.9 million to 976k

Nice reading. Thanks!

We can say the same thing about Biyombo. Im sure they want Ibaka to take him under his wing and get him ready.

We have two guys that can benefit from Ibakas presence.

If the Gordon/Biyombo combo works well, then I can see the magic not in major need of signing Ibaka. They can however sign him with the intention of trading him for a guy like Paul George next year. The same thing we can say about VUC.

We are in a very good position with our bigs. It opens the doors to eventually trading one of VUC, signed Ibaka or Biyombo. Either during the 2017 season or summer of 2018.

I DONT SEE US TRADING GORDON.