Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

All this talk about getting space to sign a max FA next summer...what unrestricted free agent are people desperate to clear the cap space to get? Do we really think Curry, Westbrook, or Blake Griffin are viable FA targets next summer? I'm not trying to knock anyone, I'm just not sure why we should be overly concerned with trying to get max space next summer when I don't know why we'd be an ideal spot for any max level players in next year's UFA class...

Westbrook without question should be a target. Whether he will leave OKC remains to be seen, but I think PFTW is just pointing out where we are relative to the cap in order to show what would need to happen in order to be in a position to be able to offer him a max contract. Obviously moves to put us in a favorable position would likely be made closer to the deadline or as next years FA approaches and things become a bit clearer.

All this talk about getting space to sign a max FA next summer...what unrestricted free agent are people desperate to clear the cap space to get? Do we really think Curry, Westbrook, or Blake Griffin are viable FA targets next summer? I'm not trying to knock anyone, I'm just not sure why we should be overly concerned with trying to get max space next summer when I don't know why we'd be an ideal spot for any max level players in next year's UFA class...

You're thinking of the team right now not being a FA destination. Next year might be a different issue. If, after this coming season, Orlando looks like a really good team that just needs a star, we may indeed be able to sign a max FA like Westbrook or Griffin (not sure I'd want Griffin, but whatever). Orlando is not too small market to be enjoyable for young players, plus the extra money the taxes puts on the table. Mostly, the really good players want to win; if our defense looks like a top 5 defense (which is certainly possible), and one of our guys makes the All-Star game, we should be at least a solid option for any of the top guys.

You're thinking of the team right now not being a FA destination. Next year might be a different issue. If, after this coming season, Orlando looks like a really good team that just needs a star, we may indeed be able to sign a max FA like Westbrook or Griffin (not sure I'd want Griffin, but whatever). Orlando is not too small market to be enjoyable for young players, plus the extra money the taxes puts on the table. Mostly, the really good players want to win; if our defense looks like a top 5 defense (which is certainly possible), and one of our guys makes the All-Star game, we should be at least a solid option for any of the top guys.

Even if our team is good next year(which I believe it will be), I just don't see a truly max free agent signing with us in next year's class. There is so much cap room around the league still that these guys can go to big markets which is what their sponsors desperately want and incentivize. We would have to be a top two team in the East to make a compelling case that a guy could come here and get us over the top to beat Cleveland. I don't see that happening next summer and wouldn't want us to make a cap clearing trade at the deadline purely for that hope.

Next summer is the year to upgrade our PG position if Payton doesn't take a big step forward this year. But that means guys like Teague and Jrue. Not Curry and Westbrook. And the good news is that we should have the space for that second tier guy without trading assets away for cap space like we did with Tobias Harris.

Even if our team is good next year(which I believe it will be), I just don't see a truly max free agent signing with us in next year's class. There is so much cap room around the league still that these guys can go to big markets which is what their sponsors desperately want and incentivize. We would have to be a top two team in the East to make a compelling case that a guy could come here and get us over the top to beat Cleveland. I don't see that happening next summer and wouldn't want us to make a cap clearing trade at the deadline purely for that hope.

Next summer is the year to upgrade our PG position if Payton doesn't take a big step forward this year. But that means guys like Teague and Jrue. Not Curry and Westbrook. And the good news is that we should have the space for that second tier guy without trading assets away for cap space like we did with Tobias Harris.

Your assertion that we would need to be a top two team to make a compelling case to a max FA is purely conjecture. Would it help? Certainly. Is it a must? Not necessarily. The reason a guy like Westbrook might (and notice I use the word might) consider a team like Orlando would likely be multi-faceted. Does Westbrook believe it's in his best interest to get out of the Western Conference to avoid GS? Does he believe that his addition to our up and coming squad puts him in a favorable position to compete for championships in the near future? How highly does he covet playing in a large market? Does his relationship with Ibaka and, to a lesser extent, Hennigan factor in? Of course no one knows the answer to any of these questions, but there's certainly a chance and the likelihood is that the better we play next season the better that chance gets.

If Payton sucks we need to have room to sign a point guard.

There's several good point guards available

In negotiations we want to be able to offer the max.

If not Westbrook, maybe Chris Paul. Or Lowry. Or holiday. Or Teague. Or maybe Derrick rose rebounds. Or maybe we find out Gordon can't play the 3, Hezonja is a bust, and we want to go after Gordon Hayward.

Edit: or Blake Griffin

Can we start another CP3 to Orlando thread? To soon lol

I'll give you permission to start a cp3 to Orlando thread the second it turns 2017.

If you start it now it's just going to fizzle out. 1/1/17 gives us like 25 games to review Payton

Yes, we have some time to evaluate the PG and SF positions. If EP or AG don't look ready to be starters or studs, we go for a PG or SF. I'd obviously love to see Westbrook here, but I also think someone like Hayward would be great.

We should be looking to ugrade our team every year. We should be shooting for top names every year. If someone is available that would help your team you go after them.

If we don't trade Vucevic, this is ultimately our team. Resigned ibaka, Biyombo, Vucevic, resigned gordon, resigned Payton, Fournier, Hezonja is going to put us 12-16 million under the luxury tax with rookies and bench guys to sign

In 2018

Can we start another CP3 to Orlando thread? To soon lol

CP3 is getting old. If he isn't winning a trophy with Blake Griffin, he ain't winning one with us. Better to hope the best for Payton and AG as rising stars in the right system. I'm gonna give this Magic team the final litmus test this year. In Henny I trust one more year. If no cigar, then like a DC movie -- reboot baby reboot!