Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

I don't know if I'd give Barnes a max but if we did I'd be ok with it because it's a signing that at least fits our general philosophy. Barnes can replace Fournier's production in shooting while upgrading on defense.

You'd think we'd also lose some sort of playmaking but statistically, Fournier didn't do that consistently. you figure payton and oladipo could cover any gap there.

You all remember Jeff Green, right? How he teased Boston with what looked to be tantalizing potential for a few years? Right. That Jeff Green. Now, how did that turn out?

Well, Barnes would essentially be Green, Pt. 2.

This is a guy who flashed incredible talent at North Carolina, and then during his rookie year in 2012-13, he exhibited more of the same.

The problem? Barnes is now four years into the league, and he has shown little to no improvement.

He owns a lifetime true-shooting percentage of 53.5 percent and an effective field-goal percentage of 50.1 percent, so he is not exactly the most efficient player out there. To make matters worse, his career PER is 11.6.

In this year’s playoffs, he has a true-shooting percentage of 49.4 percent, an effective field-goal percentage of 46.2 percent, a PER of 8.7 and is averaging just .065 win shares per 48 minutes.

And this is on a team with Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson.

Barnes does not excel in any one particular area, possessing an inconsistent jump shot, very little passing ability and is only average defensively.

This is a guy who is probably going to ask for a max deal, which is ludicrous given his production (or lack thereof).

http://www.todaysfas...-celtics-avoid/

While I agree with the general assessment (i.e. Barnes might be comparable to Jeff Green), that's a pretty negatively slanted view of barnes (particularly the idea that he's an inconsistent shooter and he hasn't improved)

He's had two bad shooting months over the past two years. This year he had a weird 7 game stretch where he went 0/14 from three but that means he shot 41% for the other 59 games this year.

While I agree with the general assessment (i.e. Barnes might be comparable to Jeff Green), that's a pretty negatively slanted view of barnes (particularly the idea that he's an inconsistent shooter and he hasn't improved)

He's had two bad shooting months over the past two years. This year he had a weird 7 game stretch where he went 0/14 from three but that means he shot 41% for the other 59 games this year.

I could have made it a lot uglier.

If you like PER, Barnes has ranked #46, 52, 31, and 39 at small forward his first four years. His PER was 11.08 his rookie year, followed by 9.85, 13.41, and 12.32.

How did he do in his individual opponent match ups? He won 22 and lost 25 his rookie year, followed by 15-25, 21-45, and 21-39.

http://www.hoopsstat...rofile/16/9/137

I'm not sure he's more than a marginal upgrade over Moe Harkless.

If you like PER, Barnes has ranked #46, 52, 31, and 39 at small forward his first four years. His PER was 11.08 his rookie year, followed by 9.85, 13.41, and 12.32.

How did he do in his individual opponent match ups? He won 22 and lost 25 his rookie year, followed by 15-25, 21-45, and 21-39.

That is exactly who i compared him to as well. Slightly more talented Moe.

I see Moe putting very similar numbers if he play next to klay and Curry.

Maybe im wrong but my point is that he is worth no more than 16 per year. Then again I see some teams desperately offering the 20 per range.

And that's the argument against Barnes. Guys who explode in new situations are generally high efficiency, low minute guys.

Barnes is a high minute, low usage player.

Though I'd argue if harkless shot 40% from 3 he'd be talked about the exact same way.

Watching these playoffs, I really don't think we can win with Vooch starting at center. He's far too slow and soft to defend well. He either needs to toughen up and work on his angles or we need to trade him. I think he could be a centerpiece in a nice deal. If Henny thinks there's a young stud at the top of this draft, I wouldn't even mind trading him for a pick (e.g. Number 3).

• Upvote 1

Watching these playoffs, I really don't think we can win with Vooch starting at center. He's far too slow and soft to defend well. He either needs to toughen up and work on his angles or we need to trade him. I think he could be a centerpiece in a nice deal. If Henny thinks there's a young stud at the top of this draft, I wouldn't even mind trading him for a pick (e.g. Number 3).

I never like copying another teams blueprint. Vuc is such an offensive threat, we'd have trouble to score.

Until our perimeter guys show they can creat/score in a half court setting consistently, I wouldn't do it.

If that were to happen, who would you replace Vuch with?

Still not personally sold maxing Horford who's defensive numbers are dropping at 31 could give more than an younger Vuch who still has room to learn and improve.