Q5Magic

2016 Off-Season Thread

I agree. I think it's been a truly amazing month for us. I haven't felt this positive about the team and the direction in a very long time. That includes coach, draft day trade and FA

I'm satisfied with what we did for the most part, but I can't get all that excited for D.J. Augustin and Jeff Green.

I'm satisfied with what we did for the most part, but I can't get all that excited for D.J. Augustin and Jeff Green.

Be excited that we didn't give 4/70 to rich man's Keith bogans like Atlanta

• Upvote 1

I think it is fine not to get too excited about these guys- they are, for the most part, role players. The good thing is that they are all on moveable deals and/ or expiring next year. We should be able to win more next year while having the space to bring in one of the free agents the following year.

There is zero chance Mario starts out of the gate and equally zero chance Fournier does not start. Come on guy. We just paid the dude 17 mil.

I think my favorite thing about this roster is that none of us have any idea what the lineup is going to look like. We have many players who are flexible in what positions they play. Whatever lineup starts out the season might be vastly different from the one that ends the season. We did not have that luxury at all last season. Basically, it was do we bring Oladipo or Fournier off the bench? Honestly Ibaka is probably the only one with a guaranteed chance of starting. I've heard people mention Elf getting benched for Augustin. I could see that. Fournier, Green, and Mario could play as SG or SF, Green could probably even play PF. AG could play either forward spot. I think Ibaka and Vuc could play either PF or C.

Not only is this exciting because it might create some friendly competition and cause no one to get comfortable with their role, but I think it protects our team from one or two injuries taking us out of the playoff picture. If anyone gets hurt, we FINALLY have a team with enough depth to have a solid replacement step in. Maybe the 9 man rotation goes down to 7 or 8, but we wouldn't be screwed.

I think my favorite thing about this roster is that none of us have any idea what the lineup is going to look like. We have many players who are flexible in what positions they play. Whatever lineup starts out the season might be vastly different from the one that ends the season. We did not have that luxury at all last season. Basically, it was do we bring Oladipo or Fournier off the bench? Honestly Ibaka is probably the only one with a guaranteed chance of starting. I've heard people mention Elf getting benched for Augustin. I could see that. Fournier, Green, and Mario could play as SG or SF, Green could probably even play PF. AG could play either forward spot. I think Ibaka and Vuc could play either PF or C.

Not only is this exciting because it might create some friendly competition and cause no one to get comfortable with their role, but I think it protects our team from one or two injuries taking us out of the playoff picture. If anyone gets hurt, we FINALLY have a team with enough depth to have a solid replacement step in. Maybe the 9 man rotation goes down to 7 or 8, but we wouldn't be screwed.

This is pretty spot on

I see this offseason (so far) as kicking the can down the road. We made moves that put us nowhere near championship contenders, but they'll put us right in the sweet spot of mediocrity where we also don't get a high pick. It looks like desperation on Rob's part, put a bunch of mid priced role players together, hope they'll grab at least the 7th or 8th seed in a very weak conference, and then use that as a selling point to FA's next summer. I don't like it, and 100 percent of the people who are on record as liking it would have laughed anyone off the board who recommended this exact same "haul" a few weeks ago. "We didn't clear cap room to go after THOSE players", yep, that would have been the standard response. But now that we've done it, Rob is a genius again. The fact is, our rebuild is going horribly. Pretending it's not is a personal choice I guess, but if you think Rob didn't call many or most of the top FA's you're only fooling yourselves.

But no one knew how crazy things were going to go in FA. We avoided getting involved with so many of these horrible deals while also re-signing Fournier to probably the best deal of FA so far. Add to that some more smart deals and we've had a great FA so far with all things considered.

This team is hands down better than we were last year. Ibaka, Green, and Augustin bring a winning attitude and confidence this team hasn't had in a while. We got better at the 3 and now have a defensive presence down low. All while not overspending. Not to mention we landed the best coach we have had in a while.

I can't fault those who are not happy. They want us to be a championship contender and it has been a long rebuild. Asking for more patience is tough. I also see that Rob did what he could to improve this team. He signed experienced guys who contribute on really good deals keeping future options open.

I still wouldn't rule out a deal going down if not before training camp maybe before deadline.

One of the reasons I think Hennigan did a good job today is because he managed to increase our depth and competition without committing significant long term cap space or minutes beyond this year. If we had gone out and paid a guy like Barnes or Batum max over 4 years it would've limited Mario and/or Gordon's development for several years because we'd potentially have a max guy at their position. Instead we have guys to help us get to the playoffs next year without taking all the minutes from our young talent and if they show the development we want this season we have flexibility next offseason to address our remaining weaknesses but this time as a playoff team.

Remember our free agent signings the last few years? Ben Gordon, CJ Watson, Jason Smith, Luke Ridnour, Willie Green, Channing Frye, Jason Maxiell.

I just want to puke after typing that out. These guys we just got have been much better roll players coming from much better teams. Things are looking better.

If we don't make the Eastern Conference playoffs space with this roster, then something is seriously wrong

I think the most likely lineup is Vucevic/Ibaka/Green/Fournier/Payton. Gordon is the only guy on the bench with a legit shot of getting a job, but I don't really know if he can play major minutes at SF successfully in the NBA.

I'm not sure how I feel about this team right now, the roster looks to be well rounded out on paper but it still is missing something. I do like we didn't go crazy over spending, but I still just feel meh about it right now. Let's see how things continue to go and how the season turns out.