Sign in to follow this  
The Neighborhood Bully

GAMETHREAD: ORLANDO MAGIC @ BOSTON CELTICS

Should he take blame for things he's not responsible for?

No. He should take responsibility for poor rotations and an adherence to a defensive scheme that opponents have figured out. He's put way too much focus on starting lineups and not enough on both in game strategy changes and mid season wrinkles to prevent teams from running a script on us.

Every team since the Philly game has forced Fournier to defend a point guard.

Also, his punitive benchings for sporadic poor individual defense from Hezonja, Oladipo, Payton, and Gordon while ignoring chronic poor defense by Harris, Fournier, Vucevic, and Shabazz is infuriating.

So back to what I was saying. It's easy for someone to say "this is the players fault" or "this is the previous guys fault" but a good leader says "I need to figure out how to do _____". that's one reason why Stan was such a good coach.

Well said P4W. There are things that the coach can and can't control, but there's been an awful lot of rotational miscues by Skiles that he deserves some of the blame for this losing streak.

Well said P4W. There are things that the coach can and can't control, but there's been an awful lot of rotational miscues by Skiles that he deserves some of the blame for this losing streak.

Yeah. And it's all correctable. And once it is corrected we get closer to our ceiling (which is a borderline playoff team with a flawed roster.

Great, but means nothing. I'll believe it when I see it.

He needs to start rewarding his players that play hard and with intensity and start benching those who don't.

I agree with the sentiment but he has taken out the whole starting unit and replaced them with 5 different players a few times. It seemed to work once but not really since. When your top 10 aren't performing, there's not that much left.

John Denton ‏@JohnDenton555 5m5 minutes ago

.@OrlandoMagic G Evan Fournier said changes to approach were made on Sun. "We're the same team we were 5 weeks ago. We can be great again."

John Denton ‏@JohnDenton555 11s11 seconds ago

.@OrlandoMagic coach Scott Skiles said he still believes ORL has "a winning team." He blamed himself for "not getting his point across."

I agree with the sentiment but he has taken out the whole starting unit and replaced them with 5 different players a few times. It seemed to work once but not really since. When your top 10 aren't performing, there's not that much left.

I'm talking about when he was benching Payton AG and Mario for defensive miscues even though they were putting forth quite a lot of effort.

Skiles needs to develop a balance between developing players and holding them accountable. But don't make an inferior and losing substitution just because you want to send AG and Mario a message; keep them in there, yell at them their mistakes, and let them make up for it.

Don't put in players like Shabazz.

I'm talking about when he was benching Payton AG and Mario for defensive miscues even though they were putting forth quite a lot of effort.

Skiles needs to develop a balance between developing players and holding them accountable. But don't make an inferior and losing substitution just because you want to send AG and Mario a message; keep them in there, yell at them their mistakes, and let them make up for it.

OK, I see your point now.

Question.........What is really wrong with CJ Miles?? We could have grown a new calf in the lab in all this time!!!!

Really....what is it?? Does anyone know?

Question.........What is really wrong with CJ Miles?? We could have grown a new calf in the lab in all this time!!!!

Really....what is it?? Does anyone know?

Yeah, that jerk decided to play for the pacers!

So, the key to stopping this losing streak is to keep players in there even when they're playing poorly? Don't get me wrong, Shabazz' defense is awful, and he gets out of position, so I get not wanting him to see much playing time. But Payton is wildly inconsistent too, on both ends of the floor, and it has everything to do with focus and effort. The times I've seen Skiles pull Elf out is when he wasn't putting in the effort, or when 'bazz was hitting shots and Elf was doing bupkis. And Mario gets handled by almost every player we put him on, because he's a twenty year old kid who played exclusively in a league where no one plays defense and no one is physical going at defenders. He needs to learn, he needs to build muscle, he needs to toughen up. AG is getting burn, now that he is making fewer mistakes.

Don't get me wrong; I like our young guys as much as the next fan. But you can't have your cake and eat it too. Not pulling guys when they're making stupid mistakes or aren't focusing is going to result in losses. If you think we should just accept the losses and stick to development, well, that's like, your opinion, man, but it is disingenuous to criticize the coach for his contribution to our losses, then say he should do things that will give us more losses.

So, the key to stopping this losing streak is to keep players in there even when they're playing poorly? Don't get me wrong, Shabazz' defense is awful, and he gets out of position, so I get not wanting him to see much playing time. But Payton is wildly inconsistent too, on both ends of the floor, and it has everything to do with focus and effort. The times I've seen Skiles pull Elf out is when he wasn't putting in the effort, or when 'bazz was hitting shots and Elf was doing bupkis. And Mario gets handled by almost every player we put him on, because he's a twenty year old kid who played exclusively in a league where no one plays defense and no one is physical going at defenders. He needs to learn, he needs to build muscle, he needs to toughen up. AG is getting burn, now that he is making fewer mistakes.

Don't get me wrong; I like our young guys as much as the next fan. But you can't have your cake and eat it too. Not pulling guys when they're making stupid mistakes or aren't focusing is going to result in losses. If you think we should just accept the losses and stick to development, well, that's like, your opinion, man, but it is disingenuous to criticize the coach for his contribution to our losses, then say he should do things that will give us more losses.

Mario was the sole reason we were in the Milwaukee game. Skiles pulled him for one bad rotation.