Sign in to follow this  
The Neighborhood Bully

OFFICIAL GAMETHREAD: PORTLAND @ ORLANDO

Mario is Raw as hell! He's a turnover machine and has generally been bad on defense. He's not doing what is asked of him yet.

I get it we all want to see Mario play(myself included) but he needs to show that he's ready. He's not, Fournier is still much better than him even in his slump or regress to the means or whatever we are calling it.

He is not raw like Harris was at all. He also is not a turnover machine. His defense has been up and down , but fine for most young europeans. His offense is not raw though, we just don't run plays for him so he is adjusting. Skiles is the only coach that wouldn't play him consistently because he is anal with rookies in general.

He is not raw like Harris was at all. He also is not a turnover machine. His defense has been up and down , but fine for most young europeans. His offense is not raw though, we just don't run plays for him so he is adjusting. Skiles is the only coach that wouldn't play him consistently because he is anal with rookies in general.

I think this is the main reason Skiles is hesitant to play him.

http://hoopshype.com/2015/12/15/scott-skiles-is-not-amused-by-mario-hezonjas-nutmeg-attempt/

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/12/14/10154920/mario-hezonja-has-no-chill-tried-to-nutmeg-a-nets-player-during-a

That would have looked really cool if he pulled it off though. Skiles looks like he wants to murder him.

I care about the future and the playoffs, where shooting like this from 3 gets you beat. We hardly get calls now, just imagine when it gets physical. We have a long way to go still and Hezonja is a huge part in taking the next step.

I agree with you 100% about the three point shooting being a huge issue in today's league as well as the lack of fouls being a concern, but we don't know whether Henzonja is a huge part of our future or not. I think he should be taking some of Fournier's minutes but I guess Skiles has his reasons.

I would have thought guys like the Gasol's, Divac and Kirilenko(if you count Russia as Europe. I guess that one's kinda iffy but you get the idea.) would have broken this weird stigma against Europeans not playing defense.

I think this is the main reason Skiles is hesitant to play him.

http://hoopshype.com/2015/12/15/scott-skiles-is-not-amused-by-mario-hezonjas-nutmeg-attempt/

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/12/14/10154920/mario-hezonja-has-no-chill-tried-to-nutmeg-a-nets-player-during-a

That would have looked really cool if he pulled it off though. Skiles looks like he wants to murder him.

The first clip is funny as heck. Mario looks like the kid who knows he made an mistake and Skiles looks like the dad who's giving him the wtf were you thinking face.

The thing is, other than him missing shots, he did perform. He created offense in other ways. He was second highest in assists and had 2 steals. Plus we know he's capable of knocking those shots down anyways.

I want Mario in there asap and balling too but Mario has some things to learn and Fournier for the most part has been important to our success. Let's not bring down his value by acting like he's other wise.

Exactly. Fournier doesn't just shoot.

Skiles plays rookies who are better than the players he already has in the rotation -- he's not just going to hand minutes to rookies just to do it -- the man is into winning games and will do what's necessary to accomplish that. Your asking him to do what no competent coach would do.

But he plays rookies when they are ready. Ben Gordon became the only rookie to win the NBA Sixth Man of the Year while taking 14 shots per game for Skiles' 2004-05 Bulls. Did you also forget Brandon Jennings, who nearly won Rookie of the Year under Skiles?

I don't get why as soon as the team is doing well, and just about every player is playing well, suddenly we want to trade? For what purpose?? I understand its always fun to speculate. With that said, sometimes the best trade you can make is none at all, at least for now. Keep doing what you're doing while trying to keep work on your weaknesses, and lets see how far this group can go. At least until the trade deadline. The way the bench guys are playing may give Henny a bit more confidence to pull the trigger on a deal with someone like Frye or Fournier, but that doesn't mean they should actively search for the first thing that comes along.

Mario is J.J. Redick 2.0, just as far as circumstances go. Clearly this year and maybe next, much like J.J., he's going to struggle for heavy minutes due to the established guys in front of him. It may take time but he'll be just fine. His defense is already far better than J.J.'s was when J.J. was a rookie. He's taller and more athletic, not to mention still only 20 years old. I see him thinking out there a lot, he just needs more time in Skiles' system and he'll be good to go.

I think Magic fans should enjoy the winning and remember just how young our youngest guys are, their time will come. It's hard for all the players to get the minutes they deserve when a. everyone is playing decent-to-great and b. everyone is healthy.