CTMagicUK

2016 NBA Draft Thread

Darko

You think so? Nahh man. what if he just had a bad year up there. He's someone I'd invest tons of background checks on. Kid has all the tools, just didn't click yet.

You think so? Nahh man. what if he just had a bad year up there. He's someone I'd invest tons of background checks on. Kid has all the tools, just didn't click yet.

There are dozens of players who had tools but lack something to use those tools. The success stories are the minority

Skal is old for a freshman and fouls way too much. He doesn't have any game that shows what he could be. Let another team make that mistake

here's what I would do.

Trade 11 to boston for 23, 31, and 35.

Take one of the young promising Euros at 23. Zubac, zizic, Zhou Qi, Hernangomez, Cornelie. keep them overseas for a year.

you have 31, 35, 41 and 47 you take four of Brice Johnson, Dejounte Murray, Diamond Stone, Onuaku, Thon Maker, Brogdon, Hammons, Bentil, LeVert, Selden, Siakam, Barber, Felder, Whitehead. you try to get a guard, a wing, a four, and a center so if you take Murray you don't take Felder. if you take Johnson, you don't take Bentil.

so you have these four guys on non-guaranteed contracts and you can bring them into camp and hope 2 or 3 stick. Now you have positions 12-14 of your roster tied up with inexpensive lotto tickets that might develop into something or you can cut them with little penalty.

You have Vucevic, Gordon, Oladipo, Payton, Watson, hezonja plus 3 second rounders (or maybe 2 and Marble). that's 9 players.

So you have 5 roster spots left to fill in the gaps. Backup C, Backup SG, Starting SF, and solid veteran miscellaneous position (x2).

here's what I would do.

Trade 11 to boston for 23, 31, and 35.

Take one of the young promising Euros at 23. Zubac, zizic, Zhou Qi, Hernangomez, Cornelie. keep them overseas for a year.

you have 31, 35, 41 and 47 you take four of Brice Johnson, Dejounte Murray, Diamond Stone, Onuaku, Thon Maker, Brogdon, Hammons, Bentil, LeVert, Selden, Siakam, Barber, Felder, Whitehead. you try to get a guard, a wing, a four, and a center so if you take Murray you don't take Felder. if you take Johnson, you don't take Bentil.

so you have these four guys on non-guaranteed contracts and you can bring them into camp and hope 2 or 3 stick. Now you have positions 12-14 of your roster tied up with inexpensive lotto tickets that might develop into something or you can cut them with little penalty.

You have Vucevic, Gordon, Oladipo, Payton, Watson, hezonja plus 3 second rounders (or maybe 2 and Marble). that's 9 players.

So you have 5 roster spots left to fill in the gaps. Backup C, Backup SG, Starting SF, and solid veteran miscellaneous position (x2).

It's a cool idea. I definitely think that you could get at least 2 role players with those 2nd round picks in this draft. You might get more value out of moving back in stages though rather than jumping back 12 spots in one deal.

EDIT: Also Zhou Qi is about as close to being "Euro" as Brandon ingram is.

My A, B, C & D plans for the draft:

A) Trade the pick in a package deal for a proven player.

B)Trade up to select Murray or Dunn (I say those 2, but really trade up for any of the more higher rated prospects)

C) Stay put and draft BPA (11th isn't a bad spot, some guy always falls a little further then people think, a la Myles Turner)

D) Trade back as PFTW suggested, and draft Thon late first. I want Thon at some point. We already have 2 second round picks.

It's a cool idea. I definitely think that you could get at least 2 role players with those 2nd round picks in this draft. You might get more value out of moving back in stages though rather than jumping back 12 spots in one deal.

EDIT: Also Zhou Qi is about as close to being "Euro" as Brandon ingram is.

Same difference. Euro is shorthand for "not a college player". Because it gets complicated when you have a player from Tunisia who grew up in France but is playing in Turkey.

Same difference. Euro is shorthand for "not a college player". Because it gets complicated when you have a player from Tunisia who grew up in France but is playing in Turkey.

This is the life I go through from being a Hockey fan too. Super confusing.

This doesn't seem like a good draft

you're very likely to find a useful player in this draft but not very likely to find a mid-tier starter. I don't think there's any real difference between the player you get at 10 and the player you get at 35.

almost everybody has flaws that could keep them out of the league and almost everyone has something that you could use to argue them being higher. I don't think this is the draft to go after potential (in the first round). I think our best bet is looking for a guy who has one translatable skill and the requisite athleticism to play in the league.

The second round you can go after whoever the heck you want because they don't have a cap hold until you sign them. So they don't impact free agency. You can also make their contracts non-guaranteed which allows you to keep flexibility moving forward. Guy sucks? cut him.

That's why, in a draft like this, I'm pro trading for more second rounders. low risk, comparable reward.

good bets at 11:

Chriss (Brandon Bass i.e. low bball iq foul prone guy who can play some defense and hit some shots and is athletic but foul prone)

Luwawu (Pietrus i.e. hyper athletic guy who is turnover prone but can defend three positions and hit set threes)

Korkmaz (Fournier i.e. euro guard who is a fantastic shooter and can put the ball on the floor and attack the rim with floaters but not a good defender)

The guy I cant figure out if we would want him is Valentine.

On one hand the positives:

Voted a Big Ten All-Conference Player as a junior, Denzel Valentine took his game to an entirely new level as a senior, emerging as one of the most skilled and productive players in all of college basketball. He was named Big Ten player of the year, and is currently neck and neck with Buddy Hield for most of National Player of the Year honors.

Valentine is the only player in our extensive college basketball historical database (dating back around 30 years) to average over 19 points, 7 rebounds and 7 assists per game. The only ones to come close are Penny Hardaway (23, 8+6 as a sophomore at Memphis in 1993), Evan Turner (20, 9+6 as a junior at Ohio State in 2008) and Michael Anderson (24, 6+7 as a senior at Drexel in 1988).

Unfortunately, Valentine's season came to a premature end when Michigan State was shockingly upset in the NCAA Tournament's Round of 64 at the hands of #15 seed Middle Tennessee State.

From a physical standpoint, Valentine has good size for either guard position, standing around 6'6 in shoes, with a long 6'10 wingspan. He has a heavy set frame that he's done his best to maximize, but will continually require toning as his career moves on, and is not a great athlete by any stretch, lacking much in the way of quickness and explosiveness.

Valentine was Michigan State's point guard this season for all intents and purposes, and his best attributes revolve around his prodigious court vision and passing ability, which are incredibly unique at his size. Valentine may have the highest basketball IQ of any player in this draft, as his timing and instincts as a playmaker are simply off the charts. Able to see over the top of the defense at all times, he can make every type of pass in the book, and is especially good at making reads in transition and early offense situations, finding shooters in the corners, big men cutting to the rim, and everything in between, particularly on the pick and roll. Valentine is the first college player over 6'5 since 1988 to average over 9 assists per-40 minutes, so it might be a while until we see another player his size who is able to distribute the way he can.

Valentine is also a tremendous shooter on top of that, making the second highest volume of 3-pointers among DX Top-100 prospects (behind only Buddy Hield), but doing so at an incredible 45% clip. Only five players in college basketball made over 100 3s this year and did so while shooting so accurately, while none did so last season.

On the other hand, the negatives:

he's an extremely poor defender that needed to be hidden constantly at the college level in order to not emerge as a liability. While somewhat of a combo guard offensively, he's best suited guarding small forwards who don't have much in the way of ball-handling ability or explosiveness on the other end. His lateral quickness is very poor, he doesn't cover ground well, and his effort really comes and goes, as he often looks fairly lazy closing out on shooters or trying to keep his man in front. Valentine relies heavily on reaching and grabbing his man to try and slow him down, which simply will not work at the NBA level.

Another concern is his lack of burst offensively, as he often has a tough time turning the corner against better defenders in the half-court. His size, strength and ability to change speeds works to his advantage at the college level, but there are concerns about whether he'll be able to do the same against NBA-level defenders, where everyone is much bigger, longer, stronger and more athletic.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Denzel-Valentine-58739/

I don't know if his positives are worth screwing up our plan to collect a bunch of athletic strong defenders or if Valentine is the exact prospect you take with our roster as we might be able to hide him.