CTMagicUK

2016 NBA Draft Thread

Yes please. And Aj Hammond later. Both are ready to contribute now.

I agree with this, No more projects. Being a 4-year college player I'd love to see us get him at #11. There wouldn't be much growing pains in him and he's not a project like our recent picks. We're 1 or 2 good players away from being a really good basketball team. With Valentine and the right free agents I could see us being a top four team in the East.

Sure, assists are a ridiculous stat. which is why it's kinda weird to focus on them at all when discussing a player.

Yeah, we're naming 15 players with more experience than Elfrid because we're discussing "top nba point guards" otherwise we're operating in a hypothetical realm where you believe Elfrid Payton is going to be a star. Its the same realm where 2011 Brandon Jennings was a future MVP and late February 2014 where Terrence Ross was an elite player. Many players flash something special and just turn into average players.

Payton isn't garbage. Payton isn't amazing. Payton is a flawed player with a wide range of potential career outcomes that likely depend on the next few years. The main question is "Should we continue to bet on Payton when there are already established players that are more or less available" the answer to that question is "it depends"

Fair enough. But don't believe stats can determine worth.

I've said it before. It's pointless to talk about Payton to his fanboys. I just hope they're all right, and he becomes the mix of Penny Hardaway and Tony Parker they seem to think he already is. Because at this point it looks like Hennigan is in their camp.

I've said it before. It's pointless to talk about Payton to his fanboys. I just hope they're all right, and he becomes the mix of Penny Hardaway and Tony Parker they seem to think he already is. Because at this point it looks like Hennigan is in their camp.

More like Nash and Curry. Lol. If hennigan believes in Payton then who am I to doubt it. That is if Rob even thinks that way, which none of us truly know.

I'm a lot warmer on Thon Maker than I thought I'd be. I don't want to take him at 11 but I think if you don't go big at 11 then using a 2nd rounder or trading up to get him makes sense. Essentially just red shirt him his rookie year while he bulks up and learns the schemes etc and then see what you've got after that.

Sure, assists are a ridiculous stat. which is why it's kinda weird to focus on them at all when discussing a player.

Yeah, we're naming 15 players with more experience than Elfrid because we're discussing "top nba point guards" otherwise we're operating in a hypothetical realm where you believe Elfrid Payton is going to be a star. Its the same realm where 2011 Brandon Jennings was a future MVP and late February 2014 where Terrence Ross was an elite player. Many players flash something special and just turn into average players.

Payton isn't garbage. Payton isn't amazing. Payton is a flawed player with a wide range of potential career outcomes that likely depend on the next few years. The main question is "Should we continue to bet on Payton when there are already established players that are more or less available" the answer to that question is "it depends"

I agree that payton has flaws. His biggest is shooting the open shots and gravity. I do think it is hard for payton to get in rhythm because of the unstable coaching position. PG is the hardest position to learn for younger players.

With that being said. I do think we can make the payoffs with payton. I will even go as far to say we make the playoffs this last year (2015-16); if payton does not go down. Our bad month was caused because of the injuries to both pgs (payton and cj watson). This new offense should help payton, because it is heavy pick and roll read.

I think Thon Maker is going to be really good when he grows into his body.

I have no idea what to expect from him because we've never seen anything like him

I agree with this, No more projects. Being a 4-year college player I'd love to see us get him at #11. There wouldn't be much growing pains in him and he's not a project like our recent picks. We're 1 or 2 good players away from being a really good basketball team. With Valentine and the right free agents I could see us being a top four team in the East.

I'm with you. If we keep the pick, I want Valentine. No more projects, get a proven guy. He averaged 20, 7, and 7 as a senior and played against some of the best competition in the country. What more do you need to know? He could be our back up 2 right away. He could have a Courtney Lee type impact for this team, ala 2008. All these bigs at #11 are going to be projects.

I have no idea what to expect from him because we've never seen anything like him

What the heck are we talking about here? Maker looked really good for a 16 year old but never got any better. He's an ultra thin guy with tiny hands. He's not a first rounder. He's a few years away from being dedmon.

I'm with you. If we keep the pick, I want Valentine. No more projects, get a proven guy. He averaged 20, 7, and 7 as a senior and played against some of the best competition in the country. What more do you need to know? He could be our back up 2 right away. He could have a Courtney Lee type impact for this team, ala 2008. All these bigs at #11 are going to be projects.

Courtney Lee played early because he played defense. Valentine doesn't play defense