Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Gamethread: ORL @ CLE

You'll have to ask him. It's what he said at the press conference, though, or at least strongly implied. It was in the context of how badly the Magic are starting games and starting third quarters where the discussion about changing the starting line up came up.

I think Skiles is going to watch the tape, realize he left guys out of position based on bad coaching, and probably make no changes.

He benched Fournier for poor play but he left Fournier on a guy he can't defend and Fournier was at least playing excellent on offense.

He's probably thinking right now that it's lazy defense that caused Payton to leave dellevedova open and Harris to let love get wide open shots time after time.

No. It's having guys playing weakside defense shifted all the way into the paint. You can do that against teams with average shooters and average passing. You can't do that against LeBron.

I think Skiles is going to watch the tape, realize he left guys out of position based on bad coaching, and probably make no changes.

He benched Fournier for poor play but he left Fournier on a guy he can't defend and Fournier was at least playing excellent on offense.

He's probably thinking right now that it's lazy defense that caused Payton to leave dellevedova open and Harris to let love get wide open shots time after time.

No. It's having guys playing weakside defense shifted all the way into the paint. You can do that against teams with average shooters and average passing. You can't do that against LeBron.

You may be right. We'll find out Wednesday. One thing for sure, with the Knicks and Milwaukee coming up at home, this is no time to get into a funk. Those are potentially winnable games for us. I could see Skiles changing the starters up a little just to see if he can get more intensity to start the game and 3rd quarter, even if everyone still winds up playing about the same number of minutes.

Unrelated note: I thought Turner was even worse than usual, and he's probably the worst color guy in the league. He was absolutely abysmal tonight, chuckling the whole fourth quarter when the Magic were getting their backsides handed to them, and never once making even a single comment about what they could do better.

You may be right. We'll find out Wednesday. One thing for sure, with the Knicks and Milwaukee coming up at home, this is no time to get into a funk. Those are potentially winnable games for us. I could see Skiles changing the starters up a little just to see if he can get more intensity to start the game and 3rd quarter, even if everyone still winds up playing about the same number of minutes.

Unrelated note: I thought Turner was even worse than usual, and he's probably the worst color guy in the league. He was absolutely abysmal tonight, chuckling the whole fourth quarter when the Magic were getting their backsides handed to them, and never once making even a single comment about what they could do better.

Agreed.

I've been watching most games I my phone while the fiance watches something else so I don't get the full commentary.

I'm not a huge fan of Turner though. Nice enough guy but he's too jon Gruden without the collective internet jokes about jon Gruden that make him tolerable.

Honestly if this is Andrew Nicholson now, I don't see Gordon starting. I see Payton being benched because Victor plays D the best of all our guards.

Starters: Oladipo, Fournier, Harris, Nicholson, Vucevic

Next 5: Payton, Hezonja, Gordon, Frye, Smith

Shabazz is not a starter and not as versatile as Watson or good as Payton running the team. Because his defense alone you can not bench Oladipo, and unlike Payton he has some offense versatility.

Payton still gets heavy minutes and is second off bench, but with Frye, Watson, Hezonja, Napier, Smith has better shooters around him, also when he comes in and as the first unit filters back in he gets time with Fournier, Harris, and Vucevic.

Gordon's energy is needed for second unit and he can be first off the bench for Harris or Nicholson.

When Watson is healthy he backs up Hezonja, or if Mario becomes a liability replaces him.

When Oladipo or Payton is bad Napier plays

When Vucevic is bad on D or foul trouble then Smith plays and Dedmon backs up

My reasoning for Nicholson is he can play inside at times and step our to the 3 point line. Vucevic can post up or hit midrange jumpers. With the big guys being able to shoot away from the basket Harris and the guards can slash and Dipo and Harris can help get boards. I think Vic will be better with the ball and can drive and distribute. Vucevic is a good passer and can be used up high for pick and rolls. Then you have two good passer/slashers up top and Harris and Nicholson in corners and they can move in to post up. The posting player has Vuc up top who can swing the ball or shoot and either Vic or Evan to kick to. The other option is Vucevic posting with the 4 others on perimeter. Put Harris on the side with Evan because you will post Harris more than Andrew, so you put te better. And Victor and Andrew on the other side.

This is contingent on Andrew becoming consistent and duplicating recent results. This gives Skiles his passing and slashing, and allows 3 good post players chances down low.

I think everyone is in too big of a hurry to start Gordon. He is just not to that point yet until he shoots better.

Watching Skiles press conference he said " we are searching for combos that work "

I reckon that does mean Elf or Dipo to the Bench ( More than likely Elf ) and / or possibly a new starting PF.

As it stands Payton and Oladipo shooting is bad enough to not play them together ( at least starting anyway )

Gonna be interesting to see but i think maybe like this:

Dipo

Fournier

Harris / Gordon

Gordon / Harris

Vooch

The Harris / Gordon combo we all wanna see could now be the time to try it?

Payton

Watson

Hezjona

Nicholson

Dedmon / Frye ( If we want 4 good shooters surrounding Elf )

Skiles said Orlando’s starters versus Cleveland’s starters resembled ``men against boys’’ and he wants to mix up the lineup to start games.

Yeah I'm willing to bet it's Payton too unfortunately. Delladova had 9 first half points and Elf wasn't a presence at all.I think he'll start Dipo/Evan together. Now what he does with AG or Nicholson, I dunno.

I'm not saying this should be the starting lineup necessarily, but I would like to see: Oladipo, Fournier, Gordon, Nicholson, Vucevic. This would give us decent defense on the wing and just enough offense to keep things interesting. Give Oladipo the chance to be a playmaker on D and distribute on O, less focus on scoring for him will eventually open up his own scoring opportunities I believe. Nicholson possesses exactly what we need at the 4, he just needs to put it together until someone better comes along. Nik has got to get it together.

I'm not saying this should be the starting lineup necessarily, but I would like to see: Oladipo, Fournier, Gordon, Nicholson, Vucevic. This would give us decent defense on the wing and just enough offense to keep things interesting. Give Oladipo the chance to be a playmaker on D and distribute on O, less focus on scoring for him will eventually open up his own scoring opportunities I believe. Nicholson possesses exactly what we need at the 4, he just needs to put it together until someone better comes along. Nik has got to get it together.

I'm not sure why we haven't played this lineup for a stretch.

Payton not good enough on offense? Shabazz not good enough on defense? Just play Oladipo while Watson is injured.

I'm not sure why we haven't played this lineup for a stretch.

Payton not good enough on offense? Shabazz not good enough on defense? Just play Oladipo while Watson is injured.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vuc is bench too. The front court struggled to keep the Cavs front court off the boards. Wouldn't be surprised if Smith starts.