Fultz4thewin

The Official 2015-2016 Regular Season Thread

Oladipo is flirting with being a great player if he can learn to finish at the rim, create contact and take higher % shots.

He currently is shooting at way too high of a volume, but these are things that he can potentially fix. The thing is that we have been waiting to see this for three years so I hope he can turn the corner. If so, he will be an all star.

I really like how hard he is working this year, especially in the 4th quarter.

I see a lot of harshness on here for a guy who just had a triple double and what should have been a game winning shot. Right now Oladipo is struggling with his long range shot, but that will get better, even if he’s never going to be consistently a great shooter. His woes driving actually have a little to do with everything people here are saying. He doesn’t draw fouls well, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t getting fouled. And his % on drives will go up as he and the rest of the team start hitting some outside shots and keeping people from crowding the lane. It’s amazing that people complain both that he takes too many 3’s and that he struggles on drives. He takes the 3’s because they’re open. They’re open because teams know this is a bad outside shooting team and they cluster inside. He misses on a lot of drives because so many of them are into traffic. The refs don’t call the fouls because they see a guy trying to cut into that traffic and figure he deserves whatever contact he gets down there. People say he should give it up more to Vuc and Harris, which is fine in theory, but in the end someone has to be willing to take open shots and drive the lane, or the cluster in the paint will just get worse. Always passing inside to two guys who are not good at making their own shot is not going to consistently get points, because it’s too easy to stop when there’s no threat of drives or outside shots. Dipo basically does all the stuff no one else on this team is capable of or willing to do, because he’s the only guy who can do all of that stuff at least a little. Now, if Payton’s shot continues to fall, and Fournier starts hitting more of his 3’s (the latter at least we all know will happen), and Dipo is still taking too many 3’s, then by all means bring out the pitchforks. But until then, I think we should probably appreciate that Dipo is willing to suffer through tough statistical games to keep the offense from stagnating into 48 minutes of passing around the perimeter or tossing it in to Vuc.

Justin thats a pretty big wall of text but I don't agree with much of what you are saying at all.

Nobody is really being that harsh about Victor anyway. He is just taking a lot of shots at a low % rate and not controlling his body well enough on drives to the rim - hence the lack of foul calls.

To say that the refs see him driving into traffic and figure he deserves any contact he gets is so insane I am not sure how to respond to that, except to say - thats not how basketball works.

You also said Vuc and Harris are not good at creating their own shots. That's ludicrous. Vuc is one of the best C's in the league when it comes to this and Harris is one of the most efficient offensive post players in the league,

I know Oladipo isn't shooting well at all in spite of this but in the Thunder game there were 4 or 5 times at least when the shot clock was getting low and the offense was stalling where Oladipo was practically forced to take a tough shot. And I'm in the camp that believes Dipo doesn't get the calls he deserves when going to the rim.

He needs to earn the calls. Its all about body control. There is no anti Victor conspiracy that the refs have.

Watch Aaron Gordon tonight. He is very young but already knows how to draw fouls.

He needs to earn the calls. Its all about body control. There is no anti Victor conspiracy that the refs have.

Watch Aaron Gordon tonight. He is very young but already knows how to draw fouls.

For sure, when I was watching AG in OKC game, those drives / drawing fouls looked perfect. Absorb impact and draw foul together with a shot attempt.

I think what Vic is doing is that he sees defender getting in position, so instead of going right at them, he makes an adjustment and tries to aviod the defender. That causes him to lose the direction, and then obviously he cannot draw foul, and instead just goes flying together with a bad shot attempt.

I think if AG will continue to draw fouls like that, it will show Vic how to do it effectively himself too.

He just needs to start reading defense better and go right at them instead of going around them, once he reaches the rim area.

I think he will figure it out, if there is one thing you can be sure about Vic is that he will put in hours until he will master it.

I rewatched the whole game in vlc at 3.30x sppeed in VLC and everything..........and now real time...feels much slower than it should. This is unnatural.

I counted 2 drives in the first and 2 in the third where Oladipo was fouled and didn't get a call. He finally received a call with less than a minute left in overtime. He was fouled once on a fast break. Luckily Harris was there. Oladipo had two drives in which he had to adjust mid air against their bigs. He ended up on the floor but finished . To be fair, one of his drives ended up as a pass and turnover. The other was a turnover and frustration foul after being fouled and stripped. He had a shot blocked and I believe it counted as a turnover.

Oladipo had about 11 drives by the end of regulation. That's nearly half were fouls. Its whatever.

That's about third of his drives of his drives. I'm still watching it. Oladipo was forced into taking various shots late in the shot clock because of bad execution. Most of his attempts came within the flow of the offense. He just didn't make the shots. .

It was exasperating to watch this game over again. Oklahoma City Thunder rely on elaborate cheap attempts to get the opponent in foul trouble early and when that isn't working, they struggle just like they did in the finals in Miami and in the playoffs against the Spurs. In critical moments like these, you execute. They folded.

They don't execute plays throughout the game like the Warriors Spurs Heat and Dallas did throughout the playoffs. OKC relies early on a bait play off of a wing screen to get the trailer to hit them from behind, (for dom) no homo. They don't really execute well but rely on their sheer scoring ability and explosiveness just like they did at the end.

Both Durant and Westbrook ended up with 91 points total. Everyone else ended up with less than a fourth of that.

The Magic had them until they took Aaron Gordon out of the game. They should have kept Elfrid Vic Harris Gordon, Vucevic on the floor. Gordon was the best chance we had at stopping that play and OKC knew it when they ran it late in the third. They tested us. Vucevic can't guard that play and turns into a deer.

Immediately at about the three minute mark the Magic had a 10 point lead, OKC went to the high screen and drive with Steven Adams and Westbrook. It was a play that ended up with 7 points total and got vuc into foul trouble.

Seemingly everytime Gordon was on the floor, he was always looking to do something. The score would always go up. He was seemingly everywhere and focused off the ball. Elfrid was pissed at the ref in overtime. Surprised he didn't get a tech.

I'm going to watch the Wizards game next week or something cause ain't nobody got time for this. It feels like people are pretending to not see this stuff. I just did because I'm tired of people pretending to not see this. I haven't looked at his drives in overtime yet so there's that. I just came here to say this. It not difficult to find recorded games. Google it. Even Tobias was raked but here and there.

My head hurts from 3:30 speed. My clock perception has been thrown off.

Anyway, we need to look forward to tonight game against Chicago.

With perseverance, we should be able to win this game. We're more than capable of beating the Bulls and after last years hiccup against them, the Magic need to take a stand.

Anyway, we need to look forward to tonight game against Chicago.

With perseverance, we should be able to win this game. We're more than capable of beating the Bulls and after last years hiccup against them, the Magic need to take a stand.

If we play as good as we did in last 2 games, I think we got this easily. Looking at the way Chicago played so far, our default game plan will counter them nicely.

Cant wait to see what 3rd game brings. in first game, it was Mario and Aaron that made a big difference, and in 2nd one it was our starters that controlled the game for most of the night. I have also been really impressed with Vuc. Dring summer, everyone talked about how he cant play defense, and he has shown a lot so far. Yes they exploited us with Westbrook, but I wouldnt blame that on Vuc, we just werent prepared to defend that high pick&roll.

Justin thats a pretty big wall of text but I don't agree with much of what you are saying at all.

Nobody is really being that harsh about Victor anyway. He is just taking a lot of shots at a low % rate and not controlling his body well enough on drives to the rim - hence the lack of foul calls.

To say that the refs see him driving into traffic and figure he deserves any contact he gets is so insane I am not sure how to respond to that, except to say - thats not how basketball works.

You also said Vuc and Harris are not good at creating their own shots. That's ludicrous. Vuc is one of the best C's in the league when it comes to this and Harris is one of the most efficient offensive post players in the league,

Sorry about the wall of text, meant to break it up. We can disagree on why Dipo is not getting calls. I do think refs have a harder time calling fouls when small guys drive into heavy traffic (harder to see than, say, a 6-9 forward doing the same thing), but if you disagree, that's okay. My comments on Vuc and Harris are more about creating shots from the perimeter on drives, so obviously I should have explained that. Rushed post.