Sign in to follow this  
TheNameIsOrlando

Preseason Thread

I don't think Hezonja should even be classified as rookie at this point. His game is too clean and he doesn't make major rookie mistakes. Its like we drafted a 3 to 4 year player.

Statements like this are where this board loses me completely.

Hezonja does a lot of nice things, but he gets lost on defense a lot and his shooting, his calling card going into the draft, had been somewhere between mediocre and bad going into last night's game.

I think Hezonja will be a decent role player for us by the All-Star break, and might be even better going forward from there, but the idea that he isn't a raw rookie because he had a nice game last night is silly. Hezonja is going to have some very good games, but he's also going to have games where he shoots 1 for 9 and turns the ball over a bunch.

You know: like a rookie.

Hezonja does a lot of nice things, but he gets lost on defense a lot and his shooting, his calling card going into the draft, had been somewhere between mediocre and bad going into last night's game.

I think Hezonja will be a decent role player for us by the All-Star break, and might be even better going forward from there, but the idea that he isn't a raw rookie because he had a nice game last night is silly. Hezonja is going to have some very good games, but he's also going to have games where he shoots 1 for 9 and turns the ball over a bunch.

Dude! Can't you let a person be a homer sometimes?! Jeez!

It hasn’t always been easy for the Orlando Magic, transitioning between the Dwight Howard era and, well, whatever you want to call the franchise’s past three seasons. Since the 2012-13 campaign, no team — not even the tank-tastic Philadelphia 76ers — has recorded more losses than the Magic, which averaged nearly 60 defeats per season over that span. Departing amidst the mounting failure was Jacque Vaughn, in hopelessly over his head as a first-time head coach, along with one-time cornerstone guard Jameer Nelson, forwards Hedo Turkoglu and Glen Davis, sharpshooter J.J. Redick and various other stalwarts of the Howard regime. But with all the churn comes the hope of rebirth, and that’s exactly what the Magic might have this season, thanks in no small part to the talented young backcourt duo of Victor Oladipo and Elfrid Payton. CARMELO doesn’t go so far as forecasting a .500 finish — it says Orlando will go something like 37-45 — but our projections do consider the 2015-16 Magic a marked improvement over the team’s recent iterations, perhaps enough so to even make a playoff bid in the mediocre East. While it took several years of relentless losing, the dark clouds of the post-Howard period may finally be clearing in Orlando.

http://fivethirtyeig...-magic-preview/

No!!!! Hezonjas is not rookie to the Magics. He's been a pro since he was 10 years old in Euro league. When he plays, it's like mix of white Michael Jordan and Hedo Turculoo from 2009. I think Hezonjas will be an all star by this December and will be a Finals MVP some day. I think by next year he will be the best Magics scorer since T-Mac. Plus he can pass like white chocolate but taller.

So no...

• Upvote 1

Make no mistake, Oladipo and Payton have had plenty of attention since they came to the NBA, and they’ve both flashed incredible potential. Vuc should be on the verge of becoming one of the league’s few elite centers, too. But the real buzz surrounding this team is the flashy and super cocky Croatian, Mario Hezonja. I still can’t believe that the Magic drafted this guy, because he is just oozing with personality on a team that has had none. This team went from Howard farting on people and (allegedly) begging Mary Carey for sex, Hedo Turkoglu grabbing pizza at downtown Orlando joints at 1 a.m., Big Baby freaking out in hotel lobbies, and handsome J.J. Redick and his gorgeous lady looking like the City Beautiful’s Kennedys, all while Stan Van Gundy hammed it up to the delight of local reporters, to what? Payton’s hair? Oladipo’s beautiful singing voice? Melvin Ejim’s Canadian citizenship?

Hezonja won Magic fans over the moment that he simply arrived in Orlando, since this is a town that still flinches at the mention of Fran Vasquez. But now he brings a heavy dose of charisma and trash talk with him, jogging down the court with a pair of concrete ‘nads dangling at his knees as he jacks up threes and finally offers this team what it has desperately needed for two seasons – someone who can make a f*cking jumper. Is Super Mario the missing piece that will allow this roster of ragtag roundballers to finally come together and become Hennigan’s East Coast Spurs? F*ck it, yes. Yes he is. Six-seed, here they come. (Ed. Note: now Skiles just needs to get over his allergy to rookies and give him some reps)

http://uproxx.com/di...season-preview/

Anyway, realistically (for the sake of interstellar hallelujahs), I mentioned earlier in the preseason that Hezonja's defense was going to needed work. He's so exciting to watch on offense that he's defense has gotten a pass lately. Maybe because its preseason. Maybe its because everyone wants something to be excited about for a change when it comes to this organization.

Hezonja's defensive troubles are evident. He has trouble rotating on various hammer plays and horns around screens. His lateral quickness against smaller guards is unreliable. His help defense is constantly late and he sometimes gets lost. Hezonja's length will help him unless he learns to utilize it. Occasionally, he'll wrestle the ball out of the opponents hands or come up with a steal on anticipation for a clear path to the basket.

The offensive hype is understood so I won't get into that.

------

On the articles, the Magic have gone a long way in washing away the dirt of their front organization's overall perception. The Super Mario nickname is cheesy and tastelessly trite for me. I despise it with great disdain.

I love "The Gauntlet" for Payton since last year but that isn't catching on. Its fine. It'll be my nickname for him. Now we need one for Hezonja. Maybe I should look up his last name for historical reference and significance.

The rest of the article is rehash Payton blah blah can't shoot blah blah how to use him in the offense etc etc compare/contrast Skiles, statistics, shut the ***** up.

Other than that, thanks for posting it.

--------

Question for the forums: Who do you believe are past their "potential"?

I believe Vucevic, Harris, Dedmon and Nicholson are. They'll work out some kinks and refine their current style of play but I don't think they'll evolve into any other dynamic they aren't currently consistent at.

Anyway, realistically (for the sake of interstellar hallelujahs), I mentioned earlier in the preseason that Hezonja's defense was going to needed work. He's so exciting to watch on offense that he's defense has gotten a pass lately. Maybe because its preseason. Maybe its because everyone wants something to be excited about for a change when it comes to this organization.

Hezonja's defensive troubles are evident. He has trouble rotating on various hammer plays and horns around screens. His lateral quickness against smaller guards is unreliable. His help defense is constantly late and he sometimes gets lost. Hezonja's length will help him unless he learns to utilize it. Occasionally, he'll wrestle the ball out of the opponents hands or come up with a steal on anticipation for a clear path to the basket.

The offensive hype is understood so I won't get into that.

------

On the articles, the Magic have gone a long way in washing away the dirt of their front organization's overall perception. The Super Mario nickname is cheesy and tastelessly trite for me. I despise it with great disdain.

I love "The Gauntlet" for Payton since last year but that isn't catching on. Its fine. It'll be my nickname for him. Now we need one for Hezonja. Maybe I should look up his last name for historical reference and significance.

The rest of the article is rehash Payton blah blah can't shoot blah blah how to use him in the offense etc etc compare/contrast Skiles, statistics, shut the ***** up.

Other than that, thanks for posting it.

--------

Question for the forums: Who do you believe are past their "potential"?

I believe Vucevic, Harris, Dedmon and Nicholson are. They'll work out some kinks and refine their current style of play but I don't think they'll evolve into any other dynamic they aren't currently consistent at.

Vucevic, Harris, Dedmon, and Nicholson are all under 26 years old. I personally don't think they've reached their ceiliing. A winning culture plus a thriving system under the right coach will bring out the best in these guys. I do believe, however, that Nicholson is the odd man out and will likely get phased out, especially if Frye continues to play as well as he has this preseason.

Hezonja did not get lost on defense a lot last night. He hit most of his assignments and only missed a few. This is still preseason and he already is showing improvement on that end compared to his first few games.

In other words, he is improving rather quickly on D.

I agree that he will have some off shooting nights, but with technique and talent as good as his is, he is always a threat to catch fire any time he is on the floor.