Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Grade Our Draft

58 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give the Magic for their draft?

• A - Amazing
    • B - Solid
    • C - Not So Good
    • F - Awful

Wow at all of you debating if Rob wanted or didnt want Mario.

We didnt have 1 or 2 guys that we were interested in, but a lot more. Do you seriously think if Towns somehow got to pick #5, we wouldnt pick him? Draft is a list, not 1 or 2 players. We had our list, and when our time came, we looked at the top of our list and got the guy.

Of course we are not gonna say to Mario, sorry you were our 2nd, 3rd or 5th choice in the draft. Only relevant thing is that he was the guy we wanted when it was our turn.

Some of you just seem to look for some kind of drama instead of enjoying the fact we got an awesome player, who will hopefully love the Magic and Orlando city more than you do. Stop playing the what if game and enjoy the moment and results as they are. There is no going back and changing anything.

Well BJ is using faulty logic as usual. He is assuming that we were not happy to get Mario and the reaction was fake. I don't believe that one bit. In fact the rumors coming out stated that the Magic would pass on KP and his workout was bad. Everyone also says that he is 2-3 years away from being a great player and the Magic insisted that they didn't want to get younger.

I firmly believe the Magic had been scouting Mario for years and wanted him. I even posted this half a year ago - that we had scouts in Europe the entire year watching him. Rob said at the press conference he had been scouting Mario for years and he was clearly very educated on that player when asked about him.

Furthermore, the #1 draft resource in DraftExpress had us picking Mario the majority of the time. This is a guy who knows Rob and is pretty connected in the draft process. Chad Ford is the guy many teams BS since his board is mainstream and read by everybody.

It is very easy to argue that KP was a legit smokescreen by the Magic. It would ensure no one would take Mario at 5.

Finally, if you are going to use fan reaction to a draft pick to try and prove a point, you are a lost cause. Who cares if a kid cried that the Knicks didn't take Winslow. If you are an old man and need to use a 10 year old kids reaction to a draft to try and prove that Henny is wrong, you are already grasping at straws and should probably stop embarrassing yourself.

Well BJ is using faulty logic as usual. He is assuming that we were not happy to get Mario and the reaction was fake. I don't believe that one bit. In fact the rumors coming out stated that the Magic would pass on KP and his workout was bad. Everyone also says that he is 2-3 years away from being a great player and the Magic insisted that they didn't want to get younger.

I firmly believe the Magic had been scouting Mario for years and wanted him. I even posted this half a year ago - that we had scouts in Europe the entire year watching him. Rob said at the press conference he had been scouting Mario for years and he was clearly very educated on that player when asked about him.

Furthermore, the #1 draft resource in DraftExpress had us picking Mario the majority of the time. This is a guy who knows Rob and is pretty connected in the draft process. Chad Ford is the guy many teams BS since his board is mainstream and read by everybody.

It is very easy to argue that KP was a legit smokescreen by the Magic. It would ensure no one would take Mario at 5.

Finally, if you are going to use fan reaction to a draft pick to try and prove a point, you are a lost cause. Who cares if a kid cried that the Knicks didn't take Winslow. If you are an old man and need to use a 10 year old kids reaction to a draft to try and prove that Henny is wrong, you are already grasping at straws and should probably stop embarrassing yourself.

Eh, there's nothing wrong with saying Hezonja wasn't #1 on our boards and it's probably likely that Porzingis was higher. No big deal though. It's not like we picked at 9 and got stuck with a leftover. We picked at 5 with about 6 guys that were feasibly on the same tier (Porzingis, Hezonja, Johnson, Winslow, Mudiay, wcs) and when we picked, 5 of those guys were still available so we still obtained the top guy on our list who was available.

The real interesting thing I'd want to look at is where Hezonja fits on the board overall. Do you think Hezonja was 5th? Maybe our draft board went towns, Porzingis, Hezonja, Russell, Okafor. That would be interesting to see.

Porzingis still has the highest ceiling in the draft. I mean, if everything breaks the right way he could be like Durant. But I still feel more comfortable betting on Hezonja providing the best return on our investment.

Eh, there's nothing wrong with saying Hezonja wasn't #1 on our boards and it's probably likely that Porzingis was higher. No big deal though. It's not like we picked at 9 and got stuck with a leftover. We picked at 5 with about 6 guys that were feasibly on the same tier (Porzingis, Hezonja, Johnson, Winslow, Mudiay, wcs) and when we picked, 5 of those guys were still available so we still obtained the top guy on our list who was available.

The real interesting thing I'd want to look at is where Hezonja fits on the board overall. Do you think Hezonja was 5th? Maybe our draft board went towns, Porzingis, Hezonja, Russell, Okafor. That would be interesting to see.

Porzingis still has the highest ceiling in the draft. I mean, if everything breaks the right way he could be like Durant. But I still feel more comfortable betting on Hezonja providing the best return on our investment.

Im not saying Hezonja was #1 overall but I believe he was #1 at pick 5, not KP.

I also think KP could be really good, and the Knicks will probably be very active in free agency and plan to trade KP or develop him over the next few years. But I'm not sold on the Magic wanting him over Mario. I'm not sure if that is the case.

All I know is I did not want skinny man, aka KP. That dude scares the daylights out of me. At our spot, I had Winslow higher but am excited to see crazy Mario do his thing with our young pups. We desperately needed shooting and got it.

All I know is I did not want skinny man, aka KP. That dude scares the daylights out of me. At our spot, I had Winslow higher but am excited to see crazy Mario do his thing with our young pups. We desperately needed shooting and got it.

KP looks very breakable. I don't know how he's going to do against heavier PFs and taking charges from LeBron

KP looks very breakable. I don't know how he's going to do against heavier PFs and taking charges from LeBron

Maybe being thinner will help him. You can't cut a blade of grass with an axe. Palm trees survive hurricanes.

Just to be clear in what I think...

I think Henny wanted a big at 5...hence the Porzingus insinuations already mentioned here...ala rim protection.

For those that aren't aware Henny had WCS in for a workout just before the draft.

Scott Anez was reporting either the day of or the day before the draft that word was passed to him that Wiilie had a poor attitude for his workout.

Which tells me he wanted Sac and Sac wanted him....hence Henny went with Mario.

Hennigan doesn't make lotto picks by position, so that is not correct - he goes by celling.

There is zero evidence that he wanted WCS over Mario, and only went with Mario because of an interview - none.

Hennigan doesn't make lotto picks by position, so that is not correct - he goes by celling.

There is zero evidence that he wanted WCS over Mario, and only went with Mario because of an interview - none.

You're crazy man. Every team in the top 5 wanted wcs. They just wanted to do him a solid and let him go to the team he wants. You know just like how we let Hezonja drop to 8.

Sacramento drafted wcs because he was the best player, not as an appeasement process for cousins.

DX had WCS as our pick for a while, maybe 2 weeks. Then they made the switch to Mario about a week before the draft. I think WCS' ankle really played a role in our decision, and we opted for the player with less injury risk down the road. Both filled a need.