Sign in to follow this  
TrueBlueDrew

A Draft History

I guess you guys are too young to know much about LaRue Martin.

LaRue Martin (born March 30, 1950) is a retired American professional basketball player. Martin was taken first overall by the National Basketball Association's (NBA) Portland Trail Blazers in 1972, drafted ahead of future Hall of Famers Bob McAdoo and Julius Erving.[1] Martin has been cited as the worst first overall draft pick in NBA history.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaRue_Martin

They're failed draft picks. If Hennigan turned 2, 4, and 5 into Anthony Bennett, Wes Johnson, and Marvin Williams we'd be the worst team in the league and Hennigan would be kicked out of the league.

Lets not pat ourselves on the back yet. We weren't far off W/L wise.

There were a number of duds that were not bolded on this list, including the last 2-3 years where - while it might be too early to predict - were clearly not worth their pick that year.

As for 2013, I do believe we got the only good player out of that bunch in Victor Oladipo. I'm still get a smile on my face when I remember hearing that #1 called and being completely and utterly confused and yet so happy that Cavs blew it. It was "Draft Day" but with basketball and Cleveland got NOTHING to redeem themselves the rest of that day (in fact I'm reasonably convinced that movie was based on the Cav's 2013 draft by a Cleveland sports fan who wanted a happier ending).

No way your completely biased if you think Oladipo is the only good player to come out of that draft. Noel, Giannis, MCW, Schroder, Gobert?

To a lesser degree, Porter, McLemore, KCP, Steven Adams, Olynk.

That draft completely lacked stars but there are plenty of other good players in that draft other than Dipo.

Porzingis has to be picked by the right team. I could see him do well with the Pistons (I think they'll take one of the euros if available)

Milicic Round Two!

Hang on, you think Porter, who just had an excellent playoffs and showed the ability to start for WAS and Noel were dud picks? Or did I read this wrong?

No you read it wrong. someone else said that he thought Dipo was the only talented one to come out of that class.

I said Porter and Noel should be included in the talented portion of that class.

2013, I do believe we got the only good player out of that bunch in Victor Oladipo. I'm still get a smile on my face when I remember hearing that #1 called and being completely and utterly confused and yet so happy that Cavs blew it.

Yeah, that was kinda like getting the 1st pick :D

No you read it wrong. someone else said that he thought Dipo was the only talented one to come out of that class.

I said Porter and Noel should be included in the talented portion of that class.

Yeah thats what I figured. Because those 2 guys are looking pretty solid.