Soul Bro

Official Head Coach Search Thread

Meh, I think you might be missing what he's proven so far

Yup. A rebuild and culture change don't happen in the first 2 years. Not to mention, this summer will be the first one where we are really free of all the other nagging contracts.

I love what Henny has been doing and I do believe in his vision. I'm torn on Skiles, I think I'd rather see Monty Williams come be our coach instead of Skiles. Would that make sense to anyone else?

Yup. A rebuild and culture change don't happen in the first 2 years. Not to mention, this summer will be the first one where we are really free of all the other nagging contracts.

I love what Henny has been doing and I do believe in his vision. I'm torn on Skiles, I think I'd rather see Monty Williams come be our coach instead of Skiles. Would that make sense to anyone else?

Skiles will give us an identity. I'm not sure Monty would. I just hope his mental issues are behind him. Players don't seem to warm to him.

Maybe Orlando should hire Reggie Miller. Or Chris Webber. Better than giving Skiles another chance to pull a team out of the bottom of the league. I mean, if history repeats itself with Skiles, we all know Vuc will start getting hurt every time he steps on the floor, then get traded for J.R. Smith, or Vic will start jacking up every shot he sees, or Hennigan will trade Payton for Trey Burke. That's what we know from historical evidence will happen with Skiles. Better to hire a guy with no coaching experience. It worked for Golden State.

I sense sarcasm, but really, why not? I would rather take a chance trying to aspire to greatness than resign ourselves to mediocrity. We have seen recent non-standard hires be successful: Mark Jackson from TV, Kerr from TV, Jason Kidd straight from being a player. But even beyond that, there have been plenty of assistant who have been successful in making the jump to head coach, we just happened to get a dud in Jacque Vaughn (who was an all-together uninspiring hire at the time anyway).

But hey, maybe Skiles can be our Mark Jackson. They are similar enough. Just have to wait even longer to get the next Kerr and compete for a championship

Honestly I don't think Skiles gets enough credit on this forum. He's turned around multiple teams during his coaching career and he's a hard nosed coach which is what this teams needs.

You're right, but here is why a lot of us don't support it. It seems like an inevitable firing in 2-3 years. That makes me (and others) feel hopeless about the current rebuild.

After JV, I think we were all hoping for a coach to come, give us an identity, and hopefully have some success and remain with us long term.

Now, it obviously isn't a guarantee that another coach won't be fired after 2-3 years. We know that. But hiring Skiles isn't giving me a sense of a long term direction with the team; it just means were settling for what we can get right now at this very moment.

If Skiles is really our guy then why isn't he hired already?

Which leads me to believe that this is a smokescreen for now. Thibs is always going to be #1. Skiles is likely #2 with Brooks out of the picture.

The Bulls are determined to hold on to Thibodeau until the remaining coaching vacancies have been filled, meaning that if they then fire him, it would likely leave him out of coaching for the 2015/16 season, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports

"The Bulls are determined to hold on to Thibodeau until the remaining coaching vacancies have been filled, meaning that if they then fire him, it would likely leave him out of coaching for the 2015/16 season, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports"

Bulls trying to screw Thibodeau, that is not cool of the Bulls to do that

"The Bulls are determined to hold on to Thibodeau until the remaining coaching vacancies have been filled, meaning that if they then fire him, it would likely leave him out of coaching for the 2015/16 season, Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports"

But if Thibodeau gets a different coaching job, then the Bulls don't have to pay him, correct? If they do what is being said, and then fire him, then they wind up paying for two coaches. I wonder how much they're paying Thibs? Seems like a lot of money to spend if it's just spite.

Meh, I think you might be missing what he's proven so far

What he has accomplished/proven has been exaggerated more than under appreciated thus far.

• Upvote 1

But if Thibodeau gets a different coaching job, then the Bulls don't have to pay him, correct? If they do what is being said, and then fire him, then they wind up paying for two coaches. I wonder how much they're paying Thibs? Seems like a lot of money to spend if it's just spite.

they own him 9 mil over 2 yrs. I believe

All coaches available include huge question marks.

Brooks may have just enjoyed having 3 All Stars and rode that wave like 90's Brian Hill. Like Brian Hill, it may turn out he's not a good coach at all... Or a genius developer.

Thibs can be a huge jerk, rides his players hard, and doesn't seem to get along with ownership when there's a difference of opinion. Also doesn't seem to be good at taking advice. And of course all this can be part of his growth as a coach and things will be different at his next stop.

Skiles can also seem like a jerk, and some may say he wears his players out, but he's proven how he can turn mediocre teams around... Plus read some player interviews from around the league and other than Harris and Udrih I can't seem to find much negativity about him. Some go as far as saying they placed Skiles with Larry Brown as best coaches they've played for.

But you know... The same case about both Skiles and Thibs can be made for SVG. He was also a hardass that seemed to have lost some of the players near the end (like Skiles). He also did things at times that didn't sit well with management (like Thibs).

I think if one calls hiring Skiles as settling then one can do the same for about 25 other teams in the league. Pretty much not hiring a championship experience coach would be considered settling.

Everybody tries to get the best coach available for whatever position their team is in. That's why we got Van Gundy instead of Sacramento that one time. We had the pieces to lure a coach of that caliber even after we initially passed on him for a college guy with no NBA experience.

Whether it's Skiles, Thibs, Brooks or anyone else. Can't wait till they name someone and we can move on.

• Upvote 1

Posturing