Soul Bro

Official Head Coach Search Thread

I'll ask this since I don't watch Florida basketball enough to really give a good opinion.

Do people really think Donovan is a good enough coach to make the jump to the NBA? He doesn't seem to be great at Xs and Os or mid-game adjustments like a Gregg Marshall has appeared to be on several occasions.

I think Donovan had a great run with great players for 4 years but after that he hasn't been able to keep it up. I personally wouldn't put him much higher than JV. He's a great guy, but probably not head coach material on an NBA team for his first experience in the NBA. I'd also be worried about his ability to garner pro-players respect.

Those are just some of my thoughts? Am I way off base from what you see?

I'll ask this since I don't watch Florida basketball enough to really give a good opinion.

Do people really think Donovan is a good enough coach to make the jump to the NBA? He doesn't seem to be great at Xs and Os or mid-game adjustments like a Gregg Marshall has appeared to be on several occasions.

I think Donovan had a great run with great players for 4 years but after that he hasn't been able to keep it up. I personally wouldn't put him much higher than JV. He's a great guy, but probably not head coach material on an NBA team for his first experience in the NBA. I'd also be worried about his ability to garner pro-players respect.

Those are just some of my thoughts? Am I way off base from what you see?

I'm trying to figure out what for years you are taking about. In 2000 he took a squad to the national championship. The next five years he has a bunch of teams who were good in the regular season but choked on the tourney. Then was the back to back squad. Then he lost all those players, missed the tourney two years, and then took a new team to the whole eight. Then all those players left and he took a new team to a couple elite eights and a fourth final four appearance. (Then of course the debacle this year.)

I don't know which, if any, college coaches are qualified to make the jump (I personally wouldn't hire from college) but I know that there were posters on here who said they want Shaka, who runs the same system, and Tony Bennett, who is like Billy but without an offensive scheme. Neither are as good coaches, though, and neither as good at what they do as Billy

I do not understand why Magic are interested in him after screwing the Magic? If Magic hires him, I will be pissed

While we were all mad at the time, it kind of worked out in our favor since we got SVG to take the job instead. No reason to be pissed about it at this point.

I would rather see the team get a head coach that can properly discipline the group of young guys rather than coaches like Vaughn or Borrego. Skiles and Thibs fits the profile, as much as everyone hates it.

I do not understand why Magic are interested in him after screwing the Magic? If Magic hires him, I will be pissed

I would be more annoyed that he has no NBA experience rather than that he spurned us eight years ago. That's all water under the bridge by now.

I'm trying to figure out what for years you are taking about. In 2000 he took a squad to the national championship. The next five years he has a bunch of teams who were good in the regular season but choked on the tourney. Then was the back to back squad. Then he lost all those players, missed the tourney two years, and then took a new team to the whole eight. Then all those players left and he took a new team to a couple elite eights and a fourth final four appearance. (Then of course the debacle this year.)

I don't know which, if any, college coaches are qualified to make the jump (I personally wouldn't hire from college) but I know that there were posters on here who said they want Shaka, who runs the same system, and Tony Bennett, who is like Billy but without an offensive scheme. Neither are as good coaches, though, and neither as good at what they do as Billy

1999-2000 -- 29-8 (5-seed, lost in Championship game to Michigan State)

2000-2001 -- 24-7 (3-seed, lost in 2nd round to Temple)

2001-2002 -- 22-9 (5-seed, lost in 1st round to Creighton)

2002-2003 -- 25-8 (2-seed, lost in 2nd round to Michigan State)

2003-2004 -- 20-11 (5-seed, lost in the 1st round to Manhattan)

2004-2005 -- 24-8 (4-seed, lost in the 2nd round to Villanova)

2005-2006 -- 33-6 (1-seed, National Champs)

2006-2007 -- 35-5 (1-seed, National Champs)

2007-2008 -- 24-12 (2-seed NIT, lost in semi-final to UMass)

2008-2009 -- 25-11 (1-seed NIT, lost in quarterfinals to Penn State)

2009-2010 -- 21-13 (10-seed, lost in 1st round to BYU)

2010-2011 -- 29-8 (2-seed, lost in Elite Eight to Butler)

2011-2012 -- 26-11 (7-seed, lost in the Elite Eight to Louisville)

2012-2013 -- 29-8 (3-seed, lost in the Elite Eight to Michigan)

2013-2014 -- 36-3 (1-seed, lost in the Final Four to UConn)

2014-2015 -- 16-17 (No post-season play)

There is what Billy Donavon has done since 2000. I really respect Billy and if he stays at UF, I hope he brings them back to a team of prominence again like he did in 04-07. I'm concerned that he won't be able to make the jump. I think my reasoning for questioning the move (outside of the obvious lack of NBA experience) is that it seems like he is unable to make any type of impact unless he has a solid starting 5. Unless he has a core group of 4-5 guys, then they struggle.

Someone else said the reason they like a coach from a non-power conference school is because they have to be self-motivated and are able to coach Xs + Os because they're not bringing in elite talent. I agree with that. So, I think Billy is a worthy candidate for an NBA coaching position (heard today that the Thunder would be interested in him if they split with Brooks) but I don't think he should be leading any lists.

Scott Brooks might get fired soon. Keep eyes out for that.

Scott Brooks is the equivalent of us keeping Borrego. He's an interim coach that benefited from elite players beginning to gel