Soul Bro

Official Head Coach Search Thread

Please tell you me you are joking and if you are not, you are overreacting about going bankrupt and Magic will leave the city to Las Vegas, it will never happen so stop worrying about it

Come on you really couldn't tell that was a joke? After I quoted CT in the first place and said how I agree with everything he has been saying?

The amount of crap people are coming up with to make Larry Brown/Rick Carlisle not seem so bad of an option is making me nauseous. I'd rather go with another promising young coach than waste time with a retread looking for his FIFTH/THIRD NBA coaching gig. Why is nobody else in the league looking at Larry Brown/Rick Carlisle? Because he sucks and his players hate him. Of all the names I hear he is literally by far the worst option, but of course the most likely hire. It's just not good times to be a Pistons/Mavericks fan these days.

Signed, angry 2003 Detroit Pistons fan/2008 Dallas Mavericks fan

The amount of crap people are coming up with to make Skiles not seem so bad of an option is making me nauseous.

Crap like things that actually happened instead of conjecture about what might happen because YOU don't think he's a good coach. Yeah, you might want to get some Pepto for that nausea man.

I'm just 100% anti-Skiles, because I know his crap will get old fast and two years from now we're going to be talking about another coaching change.

You know that. Holy crap, hire this guy immediately, Henny! He knows the future.

Signed, angry 2003 Detroit Pistons fan/2008 Dallas Mavericks fan

Comparing Carlisle to Skiles is just dumb. Skiles has only coached a team to at least 50 wins ONCE in his whole career. Carlisle did it the first 3 years of his coaching career, including a 60 win team. He had a falling out with the Pistons FO and settled in nicely with Indiana before the talent level deteriorated and has obviously found a nice home in Dallas. He also isn't a total hard head that has had his players turn on him.

I can't predict the future, but I can look at Skiles' mediocre success and the fact that players hated playing for him and can take that as a very bad sign. I don't feel like trying to convince myself this is a good hire this time around. I don't like the idea at all, and unless Skiles proves me wrong I'm not going to be very positive about this if the rumors are indeed true.

FWIW Alvin Gentry has been the Head Coach of 4 teams (more than Skiles) has spent more than 3 years at only one of his 4 jobs (worse than Skiles) and has a career winning percentage of .474 (worse than Skiles) and he seemed like the consensus 3rd choice behind Thibs and Brooks.

People don't want to hear facts.

Comparing Carlisle to Skiles is just dumb. Skiles has only coached a team to at least 50 wins ONCE in his whole career. Carlisle did it the first 3 years of his coaching career, including a 60 win team. He had a falling out with the Pistons FO and settled in nicely with Indiana before the talent level deteriorated and has obviously found a nice home in Dallas. He also isn't a total hard head that has had his players turn on him.

I can't predict the future, but I can look at Skiles' mediocre success and the fact that players hated playing for him and can take that as a very bad sign. I don't feel like trying to convince myself this is a good hire this time around. I don't like the idea at all, and unless Skiles proves me wrong I'm not going to be very positive about this if the rumors are indeed true.

Can we please, please look at the character of the guys who were on the Bulls and Milwaukee teams that "quit" on him?

I've found some articles from way back when that discuss his feuds with players:

Ben Wallace - http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2006/11/27/1214840/headband-gate-ben-wallace-and

--> Cliffnotes: Ben essentially didn't like the team rules (some fair, some a little over the top) and essentially mutanied / became a cancer in the locker room.

Ben Gordon - http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/showthread.php/5678-Scott-Skiles-Comments-on-Ben-Gordon-GOOD-STUFF

--> Cliffnotes: Bulls fans recall the Ben Gordon and Scott Skiles era back in 2009 (2-3 years removed from Skiles being there) and every one of them have excellent things to say about Skiles.

Chicago Tribune writer talks about Scott Skiles the Coach - http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/fullcourtpress/scott_skiles/

--> Cliffnotes: Despite public perception, he was "a coach who had learned from his tenure in Phoenix and perhaps had become too loyal to players." He never yelled, taught well, and was very direct. He kept players accountable, but was very honest about what expectations were of every player and kept them to that standard and pushed them.

Why Scott Skiles left the Bucks - http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/scott-skiles-milwaukee-bucks-agree-part-ways-effective-170538871--nba.html

--> Cliffnotes: Ownership reportedly still wanted him (didn't love him, but wanted him) and he was the one who left because he "hated the team" he had been given by the GM. Ownership was fond of him, but the players he was given was just something he didn't enjoy coaching in the least.

From what I've just read of these four articles, I'm not sure how you can make the exact claim that he burns out players and people don't like being coached by him. I bought into the notion when I heard it, but now - I just don't buy it.

Carlisle had much the same reputation as Skiles before going to Dallas. He was a defensive coach who supposedly struggled to connect with a locker room and had clashes with management. Skiles' first year would have been a 50-win season as well (.645 winning percentage), but he was not the head coach at the beginning of the year. Carlisle did win 50 games in each of his first three seasons, then managed to win only 120 over the next three combined (that's an average of 40, meaning under .500 in an 82 game season). The comparison is not perfect, because they are in fact two different people. But the comparison is apt, whether or not you refuse to see it.

Peter Vecsey

Peter Vecsey – Verified account ‏@PeterVecsey1

Not surprisingly, Skiles will be named Magic coach this wk, I am informed. He was favorite f outset. CEO did PR 4 team when SK starred 4 'em

I wonder if this is true. Damn it.

Well, here's to mediocrity for the next 3 years.

Peter Vecsey

Peter Vecsey – Verified account ‏@PeterVecsey1

Not surprisingly, Skiles will be named Magic coach this wk, I am informed. He was favorite f outset. CEO did PR 4 team when SK starred 4 'em

I wonder if this is true. Damn it.

Well, here's to mediocrity for the next 3 years.

Scott is an upgrade over Jacquez and mediocrity is an upgrade over terrible