Sign in to follow this  
ShefGator2

It's time to start winning and quit talking about "potential"

True. It is generally accepted that more money on a contract means a guy is ready to go basically. Look for Vucevic to be waived at any moment. We really want to build around Harris considering that he has no future years on his contract. I bet hennigan is already looking to put his home on the market after receiving news of an imminent extension.

Thanks for that, saved me from having to post something similar in response to the nonsense.

You just seem to have a really...inexperienced...view point on this so please don't take what I'm saying the wrong way, I just feel you are a couple steps behind.

Thats a pretty bold statement coming from a poster who's pretty much said nothing based on fact.

I've given you real examples of Robs accomplishments and you've given us speculatory ideas on what you "wouldve" done as a GM.

This plays into the very last thing I said in the previous post to you, one day you'll know that the fated extension offer is a 'put on notice' letter. It is common for someone in the nba coach or otherwise to get an extension right before they are canned (<12 months). This accomplishes two things: first it lets the public know that management is holding all people accountable, but in a positive manner conducive for the employee to do what they feel is right with the rest of their time-instead of getting desperate for their job and end up doing Otis things. Second, it also sets a good organizational precedent by showing that even if it didn't work out, we will pay you anyway. This reads well on players and others. This is something the Magic have always done well, but good for them for making a point to do so at a critical time for Rob.

So while it most certainly doesn't hurt (shouldn't hurt) anyone, it does prove that Rob is indeed on notice however.

I'm at a loss for words. Maybe you should sit the next couple of plays out

So the general arguments that I tend to hear from people complaining on this board are as follows:

1. This team cannot attract premium free agents because of the small market problem.

2. Teams cannot build title contenders through the draft.

I have no doubt that if I had the time and patience to read through various people's post history, I could find at least 10 people posting in this thread who have made both of those complaints. And for those people, I have an honest question:

Do you realize that if both of those things are true, then it follows that watching NBA basketball in Orlando is a 100% futile endeavor? Like, if both of those things are true, then the game is rigged against the team, so why bother?

And as a follow up question, if you DO believe those things, why would you bother still watching? Is it some weird thing where you think the NBA is predetermined, like pro wrestling or soccer?

And as a follow up question, if you DO believe those things, why would you bother still watching? Is it some weird thing where you think the NBA is predetermined, like pro wrestling or soccer?

Oh no you didn't!!! smile_shardhappy.png

Concerning your point 1, if the premium free agent has endorsements there will be a financial incentive to go to the bright lights of the big city, especially NYC or LA because some of the endorsement contracts pay more if they do.

Your point 2 has a tie-in to your point 1. How many times have we drafted outstanding talent, only to watch that talent bolt to the bright lights of the big city at the end of the first contract? Why would premium free agents come to Orlando, if there is not going to be a solid and experienced team to join?

My question: will the league ever see another San Antonio Spurs? That organization has an excellent front office, an excellent coaching and scouting staff, and extremely talented players who chose to stay put and be an actual team. Will Orlando ever draft talent that chooses to stay put, and doing so causes the premium free agents to consider coming here?

So the general arguments that I tend to hear from people complaining on this board are as follows:

1. This team cannot attract premium free agents because of the small market problem.

2. Teams cannot build title contenders through the draft.

I have no doubt that if I had the time and patience to read through various people's post history, I could find at least 10 people posting in this thread who have made both of those complaints. And for those people, I have an honest question:

Do you realize that if both of those things are true, then it follows that watching NBA basketball in Orlando is a 100% futile endeavor? Like, if both of those things are true, then the game is rigged against the team, so why bother?

I would cry and declare our franchise as insane.

Have we not learned anything from last years tanking session?

Let's see, last year's tanking session got us Payton. One of the brightest up and coming players in the league and a franchise PG.

Remember when everyone was begging for a franchise PG? I sure do. Everyone wanted a tall guy who could defend and they all salivated over Rondo. Well, we got one. And it happened as a result of the trades Rob made to get Dwight out of here. He also got a pretty solid C out of the deal as well.

So know we have a C who averages a double double and a PG who has had 2 triple doubles back to back.

We have a legit starting SG as well and a very young guy who looks at worst, to be be an elite defender in the league, and potentially a beast at SF/PF in a couple years.

Furthermore, we have not yet hired our next coach, have not made any moves in free agency yet.

And oh yeah, we have a ton of cap space. Remember when we had no cap space and couldn't make any moves?

It's crazy how many problems Hennigan has solved, but people complain because he signed Frye. It's just a clear indicator of how narrow visioned fans can be when they don't look at the big picture and understand that NBA rebuilds take 4-5 years. It's just how it is. It sucks, but if you watch the NBA you know this, and should be prepared for it already.

Let's see, last year's tanking session got us Payton. One of the brightest up and coming players in the league and a franchise PG.

Remember when everyone was begging for a franchise PG? I sure do. Everyone wanted a tall guy who could defend and they all salivated over Rondo. Well, we got one. And it happened as a result of the trades Rob made to get Dwight out of here. He also got a pretty solid C out of the deal as well.

So know we have a C who averages a double double and a PG who has had 2 triple doubles back to back.

We have a legit starting SG as well and a very young guy who looks at worst, to be be an elite defender in the league, and potentially a beast at SF/PF in a couple years.

Furthermore, we have not yet hired our next coach, have not made any moves in free agency yet.

And oh yeah, we have a ton of cap space. Remember when we had no cap space and couldn't make any moves?

It's crazy how many problems Hennigan has solved, but people complain because he signed Frye. It's just a clear indicator of how narrow visioned fans can be when they don't look at the big picture and understand that NBA rebuilds take 4-5 years. It's just how it is. It sucks, but if you watch the NBA you know this, and should be prepared for it already.

I think people understand that 2-3 years is a short time in sports but living in it makes it seem like forever. That's how I'm rationalizing people freaking out and have their opinions of players go from ultimate highs to ultimate lows over just a few weeks. An 82 game season has 5 times the amount of instances for people to freak out when compared to the nfl. So watching a 4 game bad stretch from player x seems like you've been watching the guy suck for a month when in reality its been a week.

The sky is falling people lack proper perspective.

Yep. The other mistake is the comparison thing -

"Look at Milwaukee..Boston..etc, they are SO FAR AHEAD of us.".

That never a good line of thinking.

Yep. The other mistake is the comparison thing -

"Look at Milwaukee..Boston..etc, they are SO FAR AHEAD of us.".

That never a good line of thinking.

Especially when Boston and Milwaukee were led by quality veteran players during their swoons

Frye, Ridnour, Ben Gordon and Willie Green.... Henry is a good evaluator in the draft but these signings aren't his best work.