Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

The cap should go up each year, but not like it will over the next couple...basically enough to counter inflation is what you can expect from a sound business model, too much more and you will find teams complaining about viability...which is already being expressed by Adam Silver. It does not go up each year though, a simple history lesson would show that. Just because I don't agree does not mean I am not grasping MM28, I grasp better than most. And no, we are built nowhere near the same way as SAS. Just about every player that matters gets drafted, that's the only correlation. Now, if we ended up with Wiggins, Towns, Saric, Hezonja, and some random second rounder that bursts onto the scene then I would get where you are coming from. We are more in the GSW build mold than SAS or OKC.

?

You really think you have a better grasp on the cap situation than Rob and the rest of the league?

Dude, we didn't get the number 1 pick. Rob had nothing to do with that. He did what he was paid to do. Get the best player with pick you have and we'll see if that's the case. Personally, I 'm pretty amped about Hezonja and I wonder what kind of my player he'll be compared to Wiggins.

Btw, you did see what GS just did right? Guess how long their build took?

?

You really think you have a better grasp on the cap situation than Rob and the rest of the league?

Btw, you did see what GS just did right? Guess how long their build took?

I'm not saying that, I'm saying I have a better grasp on it than people like you. I better not have a better grasp on it than the GM of the Magic, though I did compared to the prior GM...not saying much there.

I used GSW as a POSITIVE comparison example. Get with it.

Aside from the underlined speculation I agree with this. My entire point was that this probably wasn't a good deal for us, everyone is countering why it isn't necessarily a bad deal...doesn't address why its a good deal. You touched on the one good aspect I've heard so far, preserving an asset. He is not the same asset now that he was before he signed his contract though. It's still a diminished asset, by way of being a bargain contract to being a top 15 contract.

But there's no alternative to it. He's either an asset by resigning him or not an asset because he left in free agency.

This year he's the 20th highest paid player but if you organized his contract in a typical order (I.e. Base year salary being the lowest) he'd be the 30th highest paid player.

Also, there's a zero percent chance the salary cap doesn't jump as anticipated considering it's calculated based on revenue and the contract is already signed for the new tv deal.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying I have a better grasp on it than people like you. I better not have a better grasp on it than the GM of the Magic, though I did compared to the prior GM...not saying much there.

I used GSW as a POSITIVE comparison example. Get with it.

Better grasp than me? I can't tell...I'm not an cap expert by any means but if I agree with Rob's decision, but you don't agree with it, but you have a better grasp than me but not Rob....Your talking out your you know what bud.

You grasp NEGATIVITY it seems. I'll let you keep that.

• Upvote 1

Aside from the underlined speculation I agree with this. My entire point was that this probably wasn't a good deal for us, everyone is countering why it isn't necessarily a bad deal...doesn't address why its a good deal. You touched on the one good aspect I've heard so far, preserving an asset. He is not the same asset now that he was before he signed his contract though. It's still a diminished asset, by way of being a bargain contract to being a top 15 contract.

You say that he is not the same asset now that he was before he signed his new contract. Brilliant deduction. Other than David West, nobody else was either.

I'll respect the opinion of anyone who suggests that tobias isn't a long term piece for this team. There is enough history/analytics that can support him being a mediocre player as there are being a great player. I'm not sold on him either (though I do support betting on youth).

But to act like signing him is going to prevent us from doing anything in the future is asinine. Next offseason we have 9 players committed and ~29 million in cap space. Enough to sign an elite player if we wish. The following season, even after resigning Fournier, we should have something like 35 million in cap space (less for potential free agent signings the previous year).

It's really going to have no impact.

• Upvote 3

I'll respect the opinion of anyone who suggests that tobias isn't a long term piece for this team. There is enough history/analytics that can support him being a mediocre player as there are being a great player. I'm not sold on him either (though I do support being on youth).

But to act like signing him is going to prevent us from doing anything in the future is asinine. Next offseason we have 9 players committed and ~29 million in cap space. Enough to sign an elite player if we wish. The following season, even after resigning Fournier, we should have something like 35 million in cap space (less for potential free agent signings the previous year).

It's really going to have no impact.

^

The cap should go up each year, but not like it will over the next couple...basically enough to counter inflation is what you can expect from a sound business model, too much more and you will find teams complaining about viability...which is already being expressed by Adam Silver. It does not go up each year though, a simple history lesson would show that. Just because I don't agree does not mean I am not grasping MM28, I grasp better than most. And no, we are built nowhere near the same way as SAS. Just about every player that matters gets drafted, that's the only correlation. Now, if we ended up with Wiggins, Towns, Saric, Hezonja, and some random second rounder that bursts onto the scene then I would get where you are coming from. We are more in the GSW build mold than SAS or OKC.

it's great that we have a poster who understands the cap than people who work in the league

I have looked up salaries, my complaints aren't ridiculous, and it won't seem ridiculous when the cap stops going up exponentially and the free money dries up and we were left with Harris

This is, I think, the cornerstone of why your arguments are ridiculous: By the time the CAP stops going up dramatically from year to year, Harris will be a free agent, and he'll either have proven he's worth re-signing, or he won't. Either way, it won't hamstring us going forward. And we know the CAP will keep rising, because the CAP number is directly tied to revenue, and we can easily project what's happening with the revenue thanks to contracts for the future where ink is already put to paper.

There's simply no scenario where his contract ends up being an albatross to this team, because the earliest we could possibly be struggling for CAP room is the last year of his contract, and that's based on the assumption that Oladipo, Payton and Gordon all demand huge amounts of money AND that Harris hasn't improved at all in that time frame. And in that case, we're simply trading away a pretty good player on a 16m expiring or whatever it is three years from now, (I remember hearing his contract had a funky breakdown) which will be the same year Channing Frye's contract clears. That's like, the opposite of a difficult problem to have.

Vuc needs a new contract? Fine, don't re-sign Harris. Hezonja needs a huge new contract. Fine, don't re-sign Harris.

This is, I think, the cornerstone of why your arguments are ridiculous: By the time the CAP stops going up dramatically from year to year, Harris will be a free agent, and he'll either have proven he's worth re-signing, or he won't. Either way, it won't hamstring us going forward. And we know the CAP will keep rising, because the CAP number is directly tied to revenue, and we can easily project what's happening with the revenue thanks to contracts for the future where ink is already put to paper.

There's simply no scenario where his contract ends up being an albatross to this team, because the earliest we could possibly be struggling for CAP room is the last year of his contract, and that's based on the assumption that Oladipo, Payton and Gordon all demand huge amounts of money AND that Harris hasn't improved at all in that time frame. And in that case, we're simply trading away a pretty good player on a 16m expiring or whatever it is three years from now, (I remember hearing his contract had a funky breakdown) which will be the same year Channing Frye's contract clears. That's like, the opposite of a difficult problem to have.

Vuc needs a new contract? Fine, don't re-sign Harris. Hezonja needs a huge new contract. Fine, don't re-sign Harris.

His contract goes 16-17.2-16-14.8

Also I need to keep pointing out that if we are strapped for cash and can't find a trading partner for Harris we can stretch his contract. That last year could be changed to 3 years of 4.9 million on the cap.

There really isn't a way to issue a crippling contract for the next few seasons.