Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

I think I'd prefer Skiles over D'antoni for this group.

If Thibs is available, I think he would be our top target, with Skiles as more of a back up plan. I don't think Skiles would be a guy who could take us all the way, but I think he'd be able to help set the defensive tone this group of guys needs to adopt, help show off their potential and then after a couple years, move aside when a top tier coach is available.

I agree with this position with the exception of D'antoni, not that he would be the worst of the group, but for his system he would need a veteran team that can really understand his concepts, for example, transitioning on defense! Our players have to many defensive warts to entertain that brand of basketball.

I really hope that we can attract Thibbs, he is the only coach in that could implement the required changes we need, as soon as he walks through the door!

We need that level of coaching intensity/urgency to turn the corner and direct this team to the next 2 levels of progress.

With Thibbs, I can envision, with the right draft pick and FA signing........ round 1 of the playoff's in his 1st year and the ECF by year 3 or 4!!

smile_headbang.gifsmile_headbang.gif

D'antoni has gone to 2 conference finals. People think he is "not good" because he got a massively raw deal in LA and was focusing on offense over defense in the 90s (too early - he was a little ahead of the curve there).

His belief in pace and space helped change the league. To me he is an intriguing option, especially as an Asst.

Yes, let's sign the coach who decided to prepare for San Antonio in the playoffs by showing a highlight package of Amaré dunks

Josh Robbins @JoshuaBRobbins · 8h 8 hours ago

The Magic have not had talks, informal or otherwise, with Scott Skiles. I believe the team will talk with him in the future, though.

I think I'd trust Josh Robbins with this over Marc Stein. He is the only Orlando Sentinel reporter I have any respect for, but that's another story.

Yes, let's sign the coach who decided to prepare for San Antonio in the playoffs by showing a highlight package of Amaré dunks

You talk about it like you were there and know the actual truth instead of some one sided bias from a jaded player.

Not everything on the internet is real.

You talk about it like you were there and know the actual truth instead of some one sided bias from a jaded player.

Not everything on the internet is real.

Sure, jalen rose, Amaré stoudamire, Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, and magic Johnson all have unfounded criticisms of d'antoni. Gotcha.

I played for the Phoenix Suns. 2007. My last season. As were playing against the San Antonio Spurs. And I remember us coming to our first practice before Game 1. And we brought it in. And we were excited about our playoffs getting started. And Coach D'Antoni put in some film. It was Steve behind the back. Amare slam dunk. Shawn Marion with the block. Raja Bell with the charge. It was a highlight film of our team. They have showed me making a shot on there, and I was barely even playing.

So after that he as like all right, we're going to run and down, go through our set plays and whatnot, and we're going to get out of here.

And I looked at Kurt Thomas. I hit him with an elbow. I'm like hold on. I gotta say something.

So I did my Arnold Horshack from "Welcome Back, Kotter."

I'm like "ooh, ooh, ooh, hey coach. I gotta ask a question. Are we going to talk about how we're going to defend Tim Duncan on the post? Are we going to talk about Manu Ginobili in pick and roll? Keeping Tony Parker out of the paint?"

He looked at me in front of the entire team and coaching staff and said: "We're not worried about what they do. If we play to the best of our abilities, and do what we're supposed to do, there is no way they can beat us. We don't mind if Tim goes off. If Tim goes off, that means everybody else is quiet."

So, people gave us a pass. And we were a great team. And Robert Horry did knock my guy Steve Nash into the scoreboard. And Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw got up off the bench and I should have been paying attention and being a vet, and grabbed Amare -- maybe I'd have a ring to this day.

They walked out on the floor, they get suspended late in the series, and we did lose that game.

But we really lost the series in Game 1. When the guy that couldn't beat us by himself -- Tim Duncan -- he only had 40 and 20 in Game 1. [Ed. note: Actually 33 and 16.]

Evan Fournier: " Do not try and tell me Boston has better players or is a better team than us "

I agree

Roll on next season already!

Yes Thibs has to be the #1 guy to go after.

Thibs isn't going anywhere, especially not after the Bulls win the East.

Evan Fournier: " Do not try and tell me Boston has better players or is a better team than us "

I agree

Roll on next season already!

Gotta love that attitude. Need to have that mindset all off-season.

Say all you want about that highlight reel thing, but the Suns were the better team that series and would have won if not for Horry assaulting Steve Nash. Everything went downhill for Dantoni after that. His system absolutely worked with the right players though. He probably would not be an effective coach now because basically every team uses his concepts