Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

Nobody was talking about our starting line-up

pretty sure Murphy 13 said that our most talented line up does not involve Tobias.

Maybe i worded it wrong. Tobias is a sure starter in our most talented line up & he will start.

I think it would have to be before Watson officially signs as well, right? I haven't looked at the numbers.

I think I remember seeing we had 17 million available varejao makes 9.6 this year so I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have to worry about Watson.

Of course, there are minutia of the salary cap workings that just isn't available to the public or is at least unreliable. So who knows.

I mentioned the varejo trade yesterday and am still hoping we can snag him

He has become injury prone.. The idea of him healthy backing up Vooch is a nice thought though.

The Orlando Magic are turning the corner

As recently as 2012, the Orlando Magic were considered a team on the rise. The franchise was routinely booking 50 win campaigns and had even reached the NBA Finals back in 2009. However, Dwight Howard, the team’s franchise player during this time period, was dealt to the Los Angeles Lakers before the start of the 2013 season.

Not surprisingly the team won just 20 games in their first season without Howard roaming the paint and have only posted 48 victories combined the last two campaigns.

But even though the losses have been adding up, there is a strong bit of positive momentum starting to surround the Magic’s young core of guys. Center Nikola Vucevic has developed into a nightly 20/10 threat. Elfrid Payton appears to be the floor general of the future. 2015 lottery pick Mario Hezonja is oozing with potential. Victor Oladipo continues to develop into an above average two-way player.

The architect of the Magic’s current rebuilding plan is general manager Rob Hennigan, who has earned the trust of his young core, especially Payton as it relates to Orlando’s new coach hire Scott Skiles.

“I trust Hennigan,” Payton told Basketball Insiders during Orlando Summer League. “I think it was a great move. You know I’ve heard a lot of great things about what Scott Skiles has done with point guards. We’ve already been talking and getting on the same page so I think he can just help me elevate my game, help me see how he saw the game, and use what I got to help us.”

The Magic finished with the third worst record (25-57) in the Eastern Conference last season, but Payton is already talking about getting over the hump and possibly reaching the playoffs in 2016.

“Yeah definitely,” Payton replied when asked if the Magic have a strong young core of talent. “We need to get into the playoffs this year, you know there’s no more time for next year. I think the time is now and we all have to step up our games and be ready to play.”

The Magic’s playoff hopes could hinge on how quickly Hezonja adapts to the NBA game, but he already has a fan in Payton.

“I think he’s very talented,” Payton said. “He could help us space the floor, he could shoot the ball, and is another guy I could drive and kick to. He’s also athletic so when we get the ball out on the wing, I know he’s going to finish it. He can go get a lob so I think it was a great pick up for us.”

The Magic are rising steadily but are still very young at key positions. The playoffs may be a goal in the locker room, but the reality is the Magic may need another year or two before the young guys are seasoned enough.

He has become injury prone.. The idea of him healthy backing up Vooch is a nice thought though.

Also, wasn't CJ Watson hurt a lot last year? I went on Pacers forum and they all spoke highly of him but wished he could stay healthy more.

pretty sure Murphy 13 said that our most talented line up does not involve Tobias.

Maybe i worded it wrong. Tobias is a sure starter in our most talented line up & he will start.

Our most talented lineup =/= starting line-up

Also, wasn't CJ Watson hurt a lot last year? I went on Pacers forum and they all spoke highly of him but wished he could stay healthy more.

Not to the extent or seriousness of Varejao

Yes. Regardless, Murphy was incorrect. There is no stat that supports Tobias should not start on the this current roster. I posted multiple stats that illustrate this.

@NYPost_Berman Despite denial, it's true max offer made by Kings to Tobias Harris. Factor in no state income tax, Tobias didn't take less to stay in Fla.