Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

Wonder why we haven't resigned Tobias. Thoughts?

A lot of guys don't sign until this week. It could be something (I.e. Us playing around with trades) or it could be nothing (I.e. He's just being lazy getting around to it. The same reason why I haven't submitted for travel reimbursement for my business trip last month

I don't think it's laziness. We might be looking to acquire that veteran Henny/Skiles wanted. Don't know how we would do that without giving up an important player though.

I hope we are acquiring a veteran, e desperately need one. At this point I'd take a vet at the PF spot that can provide a little bit of physicality and offense then offer that roster spot to someone coming from the D-League.

But, correct me if I am wrong... we have 2 roster spots up for grabs after trading Harkless right, After Harris and Smith sign we will have 13 contracted players?

If we wanted to go low risk/high reward (ok medium reward), and keep with the Hennigan theme of bringing in guys who are dumb athletic, Tyrus Thomas is trying to get back in the league.

I hope we are acquiring a veteran, e desperately need one. At this point I'd take a vet at the PF spot that can provide a little bit of physicality and offense then offer that roster spot to someone coming from the D-League.

But, correct me if I am wrong... we have 2 roster spots up for grabs after trading Harkless right, After Harris and Smith sign we will have 13 contracted players?

I think it's 13 if you include Dedmon and Marble who are unguaranteed. I assume we'll keep Dedmon but Marble is still up in the air.

If we wanted to go low risk/high reward (ok medium reward), and keep with the Hennigan theme of bringing in guys who are dumb athletic, Tyrus Thomas is trying to get back in the league.

Nah, that's alright.

Rob has had bad luck; for the product he orchestrated we should have gotten better draft picks out of the deal. There are things that could have been done differently that would have likely made us more competitive in the meantime while building a new core, but the specifics on who/what that could be don't really matter at this stage since it would be speculative.

Regardless of the number of young prospects we have on our team our team is still garbage, currently. Skiles is the only real upgrade this year except for hopefully Hedonism, and that aspect largely banks on what happens with Harris. This is the year we need to improve massively or we will have developed the wrong kind of culture-a losing one. We talk about having a new culture on this team, the problem is we don't know what that culture is. Of course any player, particularly young, says they 'want' to be here. If players truly wanted to be with the Magic currently then we would have attained Millsap's services. I don't think Rob has done a 'great' job, I think he has done a slightly above average job thus far.

Ok, well you don't really get what I am saying if you correlate Millsap not coming here with our culture. That's a pretty bad example honestly.

Once again - the magic are building a core of guys who want to stay together. How you expect that to translate to free agency when the team is just coming out of the basement is beyond me. If you are not sure what the culture is, maybe you don't watch the team or don't really understand what the concept is about because it is pretty obvious - Rob drafts gym rats who have high character and leadership qualities. Just read any interview with Aaron Gordon or Oladipo , or even Mario - these guys vocalize this work ethic in every interview. Go ahead and read KOQ's interview about leaving the Magic for further clarity on this. If you find an interview as heartfelt about this team and culture as his, than let us know. KOQ was a great culture fit for the team, but schematically he was not.

As for the things that could have been done differently - as you displayed, no one can really state specifics, which was also my point. The main complaint is that we should have kept Ryan Anderson but the team was in cap clearing mode and that would have not made sense for a guy looking for his payday. The biggest "mistake" Hennigan has made so far is not hiring the right coach, but of the guys he interviewed, none exactly have set the world on fire either. Tough to hire a great coach for a team in year 1 of a rebuild, and he knew this, which is why he took a chance on Vaughn.

Wonder if we could take Steve Novak and Perry Jones from OKC and get some picks. We could even waive those guys afterward if we needed the roster space.

• • If the Thunder trade
Steve Novak and Perry Jones (as I expect), that will trim $5,788,207 in salary, which would reduce their cap number to $92,109,670. That means they would be $7,349,670 over the tax threshold and would get out of the third tax tier altogether, so their tax payment would be $11,611,922. That's $12,532,769 in tax savings. You don't want Perry Jones and Steve Novak costing you a combined $18,320,976 next season.

http://espn.go.com/b...-signing-kanterI

Is saving a small market like OKC $12.5M worth them including Adams, McGary, or Morrow in the deal? We could throw in Nicholson if they need a big back.

You won't get Adams, doubtful on McGary. Morrow, possibly.

I think you could get McGary. They're not going to have a bunch of minutes for him with Kanter, Adams, Ibaka as well as KD playing some small ball 4. They'd probably be more likely and willing to give up picks though.