Soul Bro

Official 2015 Offseason Thread

My biggest hope is that Tobias waits a week or so to sign an offer sheet. If he does that it gives us some time to throw some money around at other FA's before going over the cap to match and resign him.

I like Alexis Ajinca for a backup center

I think we already have a backup C in Dedmon. We should be targeting a PF that can also play C, instead of just a C.

Hilarious quip on ESPN 5-on-5 article:

5. Which free agent is most likely to be overpaid?

Elhassan: Tobias Harris. There's still a strong contingent of NBA folks who are enamored by points per game, and Harris definitely checks that box. He's not a great perimeter shooter, a well below average defender, and a bit of a ball-stopper on offense. But hooray points!

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13171973/nba-free-agency-preview

Liklihood Kyle O'Quinn is back next year?

I'm actually giving it a 75% chance. I think he's a hard working leader whose a great locker-room guy and already has a bond with a lot of players on the team. He won't get much playing time, but that's EXACTLY the type of guy you want at the end of your bench.

The Magic have to stick to their philosophy, they only want players that want to be here. Rob and Alex has said that multiple times. If Tobias walks the Magic will have around $27 mil to work with.

Edit:Magic salary situation

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/orlando-magic-team-salary/

I think we already have a backup C in Dedmon. We should be targeting a PF that can also play C, instead of just a C.

I agree. I'm just spitballing. If we go for acy at 4 we'll still need a 5

Zach Lowe says Harris is the player that comes up most often in chats he has with nba executives because they are so back and forth in their evaluations of him. Don't really know what to make of him. Zach says we're better off matching everything they offer him "as crazy as that sounds" if we think his shooting isn't a fluke.

I think it's interesting that other gms are having the same issues we are when looking at Harris.

Probably sign me up for keeping him now.

Some guy who covers the Knicks comes out with a rumor that "sources" say Tobias doesn't want to pay for our new coach, and people on here are accepting it as gospel. My suggestion would be to wait and see if somebody credible comes out with who "sources" are.

Some guy who covers the Knicks comes out with a rumor that "sources" say Tobias doesn't want to pay for our new coach, and people on here are accepting it as gospel. My suggestion would be to wait and see if somebody credible comes out with who "sources" are.

Well I mean I hate Kyler but he said he spoke to Harris and he says he's sick of losing and doesn't feel wanted.

Generally I'll ignore what he says, but when you literally take it from the guy's mouth that's another story

Well I mean I hate Kyler but he said he spoke to Harris and he says he's sick of losing and doesn't feel wanted.

Generally I'll ignore what he says, but when you literally take it from the guy's mouth that's another story

Link? I didn't see this posted.

For what it's worth Steve Kyler on Twitter said the report was BS. He said he spoke to Harris directly and that Skiles is not a factor but the $$$ and commitment to him long term.

The reason people want harris here is because he will be a tradable asset on a "cheap" max deal.

If you can keep a guy like this for 13mm or so a year in 2015, you do it. It's a very good value in a trade.

Even if Harris comes off the bench he will still be a huge value add for this team, as our bench was god awful last year.

The linked ESPN piece is one analysts opinion. Others called him a valuable FA in the exact same article.

The chances of Harris being worse in a functional offense and defense are very slim.

exactly

even if he is slightly overpaid, you can later trade him for a player that may also be slightly overpaid but fits a bigger need for the team