Sign in to follow this  
Jay Magic

The Orlando Magic Sack Jacque Vaughn

Mike Woodson should also be considered, after all, this guy had to make lemonade with limes in New York....and that was with with worst talent than what they have now!

My point is, Woodson, Jackson, Skiles would be an upgrade and probably get us to the playoffs, but Woodson checks his ego at the door!

Woodson reminds me of Brown, no thanks

On a personal level I'm really gutted for Jacque. He seems like such a nice guy. Like he'd never say a negative word about anybody or anything and he comes off as genuine and humble and classy. It's a real shame that he just wasn't cut out to be our coach.

I don't understand why you fire the assistant coaches unless you're bringing in a guy and his staff soon (which, from the sounds of it, we're not). Like James Borrego has lost the majority of his colleagues and has never been a head coach before. How is any of this fair on him? Unless he performs outstandingly well he loses as much as Jacque and co. in this whole ordeal.

I see your point, and I have a funny feeling that Borrego is the band-aid that will get us to the all-star break and then the Skiles/Jackson/ Karl will be brought in! IMHO

Woodson reminds me of Brown, no thanks

I can see the comparison to a small degree, but Woodson is a better all around coach than Brown! But he should get a look! Good point!

I don't understand why you fire the assistant coaches unless you're bringing in a guy and his staff soon (which, from the sounds of it, we're not). Like James Borrego has lost the majority of his colleagues and has never been a head coach before. How is any of this fair on him? Unless he performs outstandingly well he loses as much as Jacque and co. in this whole ordeal.

No way he loses as much as JV or the assistants that were canned today. He is a head coach in the NBA for a team that is in a huge slump. If they don't improve, he still has experience as a head coach. If they start playing .500 ball, he's a success even if they don't sign him for next year.

On a personal level I'm really gutted for Jacque. He seems like such a nice guy. Like he'd never say a negative word about anybody or anything and he comes off as genuine and humble and classy. It's a real shame that he just wasn't cut out to be our coach.

Hey CT!!!! I can agree with you here Borther, JV is a really good guy, but as far as his coaching skill set is concerned, he either needs to be a player development (FO) guy, or Get a good Division 1 school to fine tune his talents!

See ya in the chat room tomorrow!

Skiles may be the frontrunner, which wouldn’t be a surprise since he has been linked to the job for awhile. He and Magic assistant general manager Matt Lloyd worked together on the Chicago Bulls, and Lloyd has quite a bit of influence in Orlando.

Some of Skiles’ assistant coaches that worked with him during his latest stint with the Milwaukee Bucks have been coaching the Magic’s D-League affiliate in Erie this season

hmmmm

JV Says:

“I would like to thank Mr. DeVos and family for the opportunity of representing the Orlando Magic as head coach,” Vaughn said in a statement. “I am a stronger and wiser man and coach because of the opportunity. I look forward to seeing this group continue to grow. God bless, good luck.”

Thank you also Jacque.

Wish you all the best.

• Upvote 1

Hey CT!!!! I can agree with you here Borther, JV is a really good guy, but as far as his coaching skill set is concerned, he either needs to be a player development (FO) guy, or Get a good Division 1 school to fine tune his talents!

See ya in the chat room tomorrow!

I've always thought Jacque would make a good D1 coach. He'd be in charge of recruitment so there wouldn't be any wasted talent like Harkless or Nicholson and he'd get all guys he likes. He's a decent teacher it seems (Tobias, Dipo and Vuc all improved under him at least) and he's just an enthusiastic guy who seems to care about his players as people. Not sure where he'd fit though. It'd likely have to be a high profile school to afford him but it couldn't be his alum because Bill Self isn't going anywhere. He could easily be an assistant under Roy Williams (his own college coach) at North Carolina or he could go back to being an assistant in the NBA somewhere pretty easily I think but as far as HC jobs in college I don't know if there's a good fit out there for him currently.

Yea I'll be in chat tomorrow! I haven't watched any of the last few Magic games but it'll be interesting to see how Borrego does.