Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

GAMETHREAD: ORLANDO @ Memphis

I dunno. We looked much better on defense but Vuc had like 2 points in the paint with him in the game. Driving lanes were also non existent.

At the very least it highlights how bad frye and o'quinn have been on defense. How good would we look if we had a PF who could defend like dedmon and hit elbow jumpers.

ya man, exactly my thoughts tonight

great D by dedmon, but it clogged the lane pretty bad

Another problem I saw tonight is that Vaughn can't really utilize our players strengths -- saw some nice plays with KOQ passing to Harris -- need more plays drawn up more plays involving KOQ at the elbow either shooting the jumper or making the pass to guys going through screens.

No plays being drawn up for Fournier - dude should be running through screens to get open at the 3.

Most of Harris' offense looked ugly and forced - never once saw him take an open shot.

Oladipo was pretty much free lancing it at the rim. Need plays for him to drive and dish to guys like Fournier and Harris to get them open looks.

Willie Green was...well anything he does right is usually a surprise anyway.

Bottom line: there's no structure to most of our offense.

ya man, exactly my thoughts tonight

great D by dedmon, but it clogged the lane pretty bad

Another problem I saw tonight is that Vaughn can't really utilize our players strengths -- saw some nice plays with KOQ passing to Harris -- need more plays drawn up more plays involving KOQ at the elbow either shooting the jumper or making the pass to guys going through screens.

Most of Harris' offense looked ugly and forced tonight.

No plays being drawn up for Fournier.

Oladipo is pretty much free lancing it at the rim.

There's no structure to most of our offense.

Did you miss o'quinn throwing the ball to the other team with horrible passes?

O'Quinn is a great passer. Few turnovers dont change that.

I think what he was highlighting is this: almost 50 games in and we still have zero identity or a game plan. We do not utilize our players strength and weaknesses.

Certainly a problem I'd say....

you mean the 1 TO he had?

please....

O'Quinn is a great passer. Few turnovers dont change that.

I think what he was highlighting is this: almost 50 games in and we still have zero identity or a game plan. We do not utilize our players strength and weaknesses.

Certainly a problem I'd say....

definitely. each of our guys has a unique strength and not one of them is being utilized properly except maybe Vuc or Payton.

How do you have a guy as offensively talented as Harris and have him looking as bad as Moe? Jesus christ man.

and this is coming from a guy who defended vaughn early on its getting to a point where i cant defend his crappy coaching.

Oladipo has been just as bad as Harris if not worse

Rule of thumb: when a player has 18 points on 11 shots to go with 7 rebounds and pretty good defense, you don't complain about them just because they went kind of cold late.

I'm still trying to figure out where this myth that Kyle O'Quinn is anything more than an average passer came from.

Just because he's terrified to do anything with the ball if he's not open enough to clank a jump shot other than look for someone to pass to doesn't mean he's magically a good passer.

you mean the 1 TO he had?

please....

definitely. each of our guys has a unique strength and not one of them is being utilized properly except maybe Vuc or Payton.

How do you have a guy as offensively talented as Harris and have him looking as bad as Moe? Jesus christ man.

and this is coming from a guy who defended vaughn early on its getting to a point where i cant defend his crappy coaching.

Glad to see you are coming around.

Memphis Grizzlies coach Dave Joerger said prior to Monday night’s game that if Orlando can just weather the tough times as Oladipo and Payton learn the ins and outs of surviving and thriving in the NBA that the Magic could ultimately have major boon on their hands.

``(Payton) and Oladipo are going to be one of the most feared backcourts here when you look four or five years out – maybe two or three years, I’m sure that’s what they would like,’’ said Joerger, who knows a thing or two about judging talent considering the success of his Grizzlies. ``They are very athletic and they are a part of the new wave of guards in this league who are big, athletic and can get in the lane and finish. Both will work on their jump shots and get better at that.

``But when you talk about a good, young combination of guys, those two are going to be wrecking some people in the next couple of years,’’ Joerger added.

Oladipo, the runner-up for the Rookie of the Year award last season, has played well while splitting time at both shooting guard and point guard and is averaging 16.5 points, 3.9 assists and 3.7 rebounds a game. Payton, whom the Magic traded for on draft night back in June, has blossomed into an attacking and play-making point guard while averaging 7.7 points, 5.7 assists and 3.6 rebounds a game.

http://www.nba.com/m...agics-backcourt