Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

GAMETHREAD: ORLANDO vs Washington

O'Quinn absolutely could be a starting C in the NBA, which in turn would make him one of, if not the absolute, worst starting C in the NBA.

I extend his limited minutes into starter minutes to show his estimated averages (given they are probably higher than he would actually average) and you merely make a baseless assessment that he would be the worst C/PF in the league with no rational or argument.

Looking at playmaking, shot selection, bball IQ, passing ability, and defensive intangibles, players that he is better than (or at the very least equal to) who are starting in the NBA:

Robin Lopez

Andrea Bargnani

Tyler Zeller

Jared Sullinger

Henry Sims

Mirza Teletovic

Amir Johnson

Anderson Varejao

Gorgui Dieng

Cody Zeller

Josh McRoberts

Enes Kanter

Ed Davis

Jordan Hill

JaVale McGee

He would be far from the worst big man to start (at this point - presuming he doesn't grow more). Additionally, he brings multiple things that do not show up on the stat sheet: leadership, work ethic, and bball IQ (help defense / finding the open man in offensive sets). I BY NO MEANS think O'Quinn is the next coming of Tim Duncan, but I'm saying he's an important role player who I think will produce on a winning team if given starter minutes in this league. It goes beyond PPG. It's about how the offense and defense run when he's out there.

I extend his limited minutes into starter minutes to show his estimated averages (given they are probably higher than he would actually average) and you merely make a baseless assessment that he would be the worst C/PF in the league with no rational or argument.

Looking at playmaking, shot selection, bball IQ, passing ability, and defensive intangibles, players that he is better than (or at the very least equal to) who are starting in the NBA:

Robin Lopez

Andrea Bargnani

Tyler Zeller

Jared Sullinger

Henry Sims

Mirza Teletovic

Amir Johnson

Anderson Varejao

Gorgui Dieng

Cody Zeller

Josh McRoberts

Enes Kanter

Ed Davis

Jordan Hill

JaVale McGee

He would be far from the worst big man to start (at this point - presuming he doesn't grow more). Additionally, he brings multiple things that do not show up on the stat sheet: leadership, work ethic, and bball IQ (help defense / finding the open man in offensive sets). I BY NO MEANS think O'Quinn is the next coming of Tim Duncan, but I'm saying he's an important role player who I think will produce on a winning team if given starter minutes in this league. It goes beyond PPG. It's about how the offense and defense run when he's out there.

Holy crap!!!

The o'quinn love has gone way too far. I would take Lopez, sullinger, both zellers, Johnson, varejao, dieng, kanter, Ed Davis, hill over o'quinn hands down. In fact, I would trade o'quinn plus Harkless and a second round pick for most of those players.

I'd also take McGee if we could somehow get him on O'Quinn's contract.

Take off the black and blue shades and have an actual concept of how the rest of the league plays.

It's worth noting that you can't just adjust someone's stats up without other considerations.

In O'Quinn's case, he commits far too many fouls to ever play 36mpg consistently, even if you put him on a team where he could start.

And so it begins, and like the ones that have come and gone. O'Quinn may be the player for which brings out the most biased of fans. Not even Harris or Oladipo get this much blind love.

But it's not failing...

Our record says otherwise. I mean yes: we were going to suck this year no matter what, but the rotations, preparations, and other aspects that fall on the coach are falling short, too. Sure - part of it is the talent, either too young or just not good enough, but part of it is definitely coaching.

Our record says otherwise. I mean yes: we were going to suck this year no matter what, but the rotations, preparations, and other aspects that fall on the coach are falling short, too. Sure - part of it is the talent, either too young or just not good enough, but part of it is definitely coaching.

Vegas put the over under at 28.5 wins. We're on pace for 30 wins. On jan 9th we might be on pace for 38 wins. We're exceeding expectations

O'quinn is bo outlaw redux. Nothing more, nothing less. And that's just fine.

Bo was basically all hustle and very good on the defensive end of the floor, Kyle provides a better offensive threat, that has to be respected, and he still provides a reasonable defensive presence and rim protection when he is at 100%.

I like your comparison, Kyle is hands down the better of the 2. IMHO.

For the record..... Bo is one of my all time favorite Magic players! Kyle may never make that list.... for whatever that is worth.

Vegas put the over under at 28.5 wins. We're on pace for 30 wins. On jan 9th we might be on pace for 38 wins. We're exceeding expectations

Looking at the schedule I legit believe a .500 record at the end of the season is not only possible, but a good chance of actually happening. If that happens a 6th seed in the east is there for the taking.

Bo was basically all hustle and very good on the defensive end of the floor, Kyle provides a better offensive threat, that has to be respected, and he still provides a reasonable defensive presence and rim protection when he is at 100%.

I like your comparison, Kyle is hands down the better of the 2. IMHO.

For the record..... Bo is one of my all time favorite Magic players! Kyle may never make that list.... for whatever that is worth.

This is fair.

Looking at the schedule I legit believe a .500 record at the end of the season is not only possible, but a good chance of actually happening. If that happens a 6th seed in the east is there for the taking.

I want to pace my expectations. I want to see how we look by February. I'm not ready to say we'll be .500 because of injuries/hitting a wall/teams figuring us out.

It is definitely possible though. Especially considering how good the team looks when healthy

When someone has played fewer than 10 games, you don't really get to discount anything as an anomaly.

And if his current pace stays the same or improves after 40 games?