Years of Tragic and Magic

Jacque Vaughn Thread

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jacque Vaughn be fired this year?

• No, he is under contract.
    • No, he is a good coach.
    • No, he needs more players.
    • No, the Magic have always been loyal to a fault.
    • Yes, he will be the fall guy for our failures.
    • Yes, its a shame because he was a good coach.
    • Yes, he is a horrible coach.

Watching our offense last night, it felt terribly simple: a high screen that led to a drive and/or a kick out. Meanwhile, Memphis had many off-ball screens and multiple wrinkles to help get guys open (not an amazing offense, but I was impressed with some plays).

All you had to do was watch when Marc Gasol had the ball vs. when Vuc had the ball to see the difference. When Marc had the ball in the post, multiple off-screens would be set and depending on how defenders reacted, he would pass the ball to the open man (or take it himself). Vuc had the option to shoot or pass to guys standing around the 3-pt line (we had a cutter only a handful of times).

It's a little thing, but shows me it's not that our players aren't offensively talented... We just have a poor system in place that doesn't give many easy shots (unless it's a fast break... Which is why we have looked so much better).

Watching our offense last night, it felt terribly simple: a high screen that led to a drive and/or a kick out. Meanwhile, Memphis had many off-ball screens and multiple wrinkles to help get guys open (not an amazing offense, but I was impressed with some plays).

All you had to do was watch when Marc Gasol had the ball vs. when Vuc had the ball to see the difference. When Marc had the ball in the post, multiple off-screens would be set and depending on how defenders reacted, he would pass the ball to the open man (or take it himself). Vuc had the option to shoot or pass to guys standing around the 3-pt line (we had a cutter only a handful of times).

It's a little thing, but shows me it's not that our players aren't offensively talented... We just have a poor system in place that doesn't give many easy shots (unless it's a fast break... Which is why we have looked so much better).

I think you really don't know what you're talking about.

• Upvote 3

I think the minimum JV gets is to the end of his third season. At that point he should be evaluated on how much progress the team has made this season. After seeing the team improve from 20 wins to 23, I suspect the improvement needs to be near to 30 wins for an argument to keep him on. The thing that makes me feel he will be here next season is that this was a full scale rebuild, and the team seems hell bent on taking the slow methodical way of rebuilding the roster. Fingers crossed this rebuild actually works out because the last thing we need is to end up like the Scaramento Kings and be in a never ending cycle of rebuilding. For me, this season was about developing the young talent and philosophy of this team, and by helping the players take the next step, increase the win column. And that is why I think JV, rightly or wrongly, will get a fourth season as our head coach. At that point the gloves will be off and the team will need to start winning on a regular basis to become a serious play off contender, because spending any longer at the bottom end of this league will mean the rebuild has arguably failed, and changes need to be made.

• Upvote 1

But we did struggle and we did turn the ball over a ton even when we weren't running and guess what, we also lost a ton. I just think it's convenient that JV is now taking credit and saying this was his master plan all along now that the players took the initiative upon themselves.

Obviously there's no way to know for sure, but we sure did seem lost prior to that Portland game and Frye even mentioned it was basically the team that said, "**** this, we're running". If I had once heard JV say we need to run more or push the pace I might believe him, but I never heard any of that after any of our consecutive losses. Of course he can say I was just waiting for Payton to impose his will if he wants, I just don't happen to believe him.

Actually there is an easy way to know. Go read what Vaughn said after we drafted our new guys. It can't be anymore obvious than that.

Actually there is an easy way to know. Go read what Vaughn said after we drafted our new guys. It can't be anymore obvious than that.

Haven't you heard? If we lose its JVs fault. If we win, it's also in spite of JV. Boy, I'm sure anyone of these guys would love to be critiqued like that at their daily job.

Or listen to the audio from Frye two pages back when he says it was the team who said "screw this" and made the decision to push the tempo, after being flatly asked if Vaughn instructed them to run more. Feel free to believe whatever you want, but there's no reason for Frye to lie that I'm aware of.

• Upvote 1

Or listen to the audio from Frye two pages back when he says it was the team who said "screw this" and made the decision to push the tempo, after being flatly asked if Vaughn instructed them to run more. Feel free to believe whatever you want, but there's no reason for Frye to lie that I'm aware of.

Payton has been quoted to substantiate Frye's claim. Either way, JV is screwed. Two of his players gave him no credit for the recent "resurgence" and it's on record. JV is too passive for this team. That is all.

I think you really don't know what you're talking about.

Marc Gasol had 8 assists.

Vuc had 0 assists.

Since your post has +2, I'm assuming I'm not seeing something you guys are seeing. I would ask that you watch as well when Nik has the ball and see if guys stand around and wait or if they're setting off-screens to get someone open while he faces-up/backs-down the defender.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who actually listened to that interview.

Here is what I simply want: if the players truly want JV back (because they love and respect him), then hell yes - bring the man back. However, if (as I suspect) the players are beginning to tune-out the words of JV... why keep him around another season when you have more than enough talent on this team to make the Eastern Conference playoffs under a good coach? Hell, if we just go .500 the rest of the way, we will in reality MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. West teams WISH they had that luxury.

Marc Gasol had 8 assists.

Vuc had 0 assists.

Since your post has +2, I'm assuming I'm not seeing something you guys are seeing. I would ask that you watch as well when Nik has the ball and see if guys stand around and wait or if they're setting off-screens to get someone open while he faces-up/backs-down the defender.

Im pretty sure Gasol is one of the best passing bigs in the league regardless of the offense being run. Not so sure that ability is in Vuch skill set.

Im pretty sure Gasol is one of the best passing bigs in the league regardless of the offense being run. Not so sure that ability is in Vuch skill set.

Yeah that comparison is pretty stupid at best. Both are two different types of players in different parts of their career playing two different types of offenses.