Years of Tragic and Magic

Jacque Vaughn Thread

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jacque Vaughn be fired this year?

• No, he is under contract.
    • No, he is a good coach.
    • No, he needs more players.
    • No, the Magic have always been loyal to a fault.
    • Yes, he will be the fall guy for our failures.
    • Yes, its a shame because he was a good coach.
    • Yes, he is a horrible coach.

We seem to have lots of ball movement and playing at a quick tempo, I would have thought that was a step in the right direction for our offense.

I'm not saying Vaughn's at the top of his field but I probably don't hate what his doing with this team as much as many here do.

we have a bunch of new players and players hurt. it is going to take time to jell. I need to see more games this year before judging how well jv is coaching. this is the first year he has had some talent. this is also the first year he must start winning.

we have looked good the last few games. To bad gordon went down because he was playing the best defense on the team. neither vic nor payton have shown me the type of defense i have been hoping for but it is early. vic had one good half on def vs knight but that is about it. in contrast, payton got abused by knight. Our offense has won our games, now i want to see more stops and ball pressure.

The funny thing is that the team's projected weakness is our current strength; 3 point shooting (thanks frye and evan). And, you have to like the ball movement our spacing creates on offense. This is one reason i feel payton has been sat. He is scared to shoot. I understand creating for others and setting up the offense; but when the ball comes back to you, after it was already swung, you must shot the open shot. There is only 24 seconds on the shot clock. when players go 20 feet under the screen, you must shoot the ball. luke has shot when open and payton has not. Payton should have the edge on defense but i have barley seen it yet. Payton also was doing a good job pushing the tempo but that has changed the last few games. He is walking the ball up the court. Bottom line, payton is young and things will come to him. I do want to see more tempo and defense from him, because this is what separates him from luke.

we have a bunch of new players and players hurt. it is going to take time to jell. I need to see more games this year before judging how well jv is coaching. this is the first year he has had some talent. this is also the first year he must start winning.

we have looked good the last few games. To bad gordon went down because he was playing the best defense on the team. neither vic nor payton have shown me the type of defense i have been hoping for but it is early. vic had one good half on def vs knight but that is about it. in contrast, payton got abused by knight. Our offense has won our games, now i want to see more stops and ball pressure.

The funny thing is that the team's projected weakness is our current strength; 3 point shooting (thanks frye and evan). And, you have to like the ball movement our spacing creates on offense. This is one reason i feel payton has been sat. He is scared to shoot. I understand creating for others and setting up the offense; but when the ball comes back to you, after it was already swung, you must shot the open shot. There is only 24 seconds on the shot clock. when players go 20 feet under the screen, you must shoot the ball. luke has shot when open and payton has not. Payton should have the edge on defense but i have barley seen it yet. Payton also was doing a good job pushing the tempo but that has changed the last few games. He is walking the ball up the court. Bottom line, payton is young and things will come to him. I do want to see more tempo and defense from him, because this is what separates him from luke.

I agree with everything in this post. Overall, the past few games, except the Washington game, are the best the team has ever looked under Vaughn.

A week ago, I wanted to have him fired. Now, I think he's doing an adequate job. What a week makes!

The reason I need a larger sample size

My question would be who would be the JV replacement?

Mark Jackson is about the only name that I can think of, of someone worth going after. Until there is a suitable replacement that is far better than JV, I say we stick with the coach who has been there at the beginning of the rebuilding until it is proven that he is the issue for the teams trouble.

My question would be who would be the JV replacement?

Mark Jackson is about the only name that I can think of, of someone worth going after. Until there is a suitable replacement that is far better than JV, I say we stick with the coach who has been there at the beginning of the rebuilding until it is proven that he is the issue for the teams trouble.

Kevin Ollie would be my choice if we had to replace Vaughn, but I'm willing to give Vaughn 1 or 2 years before I judge him harder

In the Charlotte pre game interview with Jacque it felt like the reporters were kinda dancing around the question of "why isn't Moe playing more?" It was mentioned that Moe was as good of an athlete as any and then a reporter asked something like (paraphrasing) "how can that athleticism be put to use?" (I don't know it was something like that). Anyway Jacque said " If you're that athletic you should be one of the first guys down the floor every time, you should be helping the big guys rebound and you should be using your athleticism to get by your man on the perimeter" Take from that as little, or as much, as you like but to me it kind of felt like he was basically saying Moe just isn't aggressive enough.

Kevin Ollie would be my choice if we had to replace Vaughn, but I'm willing to give Vaughn 1 or 2 years before I judge him harder

Ollie isn't leaving uconn

In the Charlotte pre game interview with Jacque it felt like the reporters were kinda dancing around the question of "why isn't Moe playing more?" It was mentioned that Moe was as good of an athlete as any and then a reporter asked something like (paraphrasing) "how can that athleticism be put to use?" (I don't know it was something like that). Anyway Jacque said " If you're that athletic you should be one of the first guys down the floor every time, you should be helping the big guys rebound and you should be using your athleticism to get by your man on the perimeter" Take from that as little, or as much, as you like but to me it kind of felt like he was basically saying Moe just isn't aggressive enough.

I would have to agree with JV. Moe definitely has the athleticism, but until he gets the fire going, he's not deserving of quality playing time. It has to be frustrating for a coach to have a player with that much smooth natural talent who plays like he's on cruise control. Maybe Aaron Gordon will rub off on him. We can only hope.