Years of Tragic and Magic

Jacque Vaughn Thread

42 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jacque Vaughn be fired this year?

• No, he is under contract.
    • No, he is a good coach.
    • No, he needs more players.
    • No, the Magic have always been loyal to a fault.
    • Yes, he will be the fall guy for our failures.
    • Yes, its a shame because he was a good coach.
    • Yes, he is a horrible coach.

It might be hard to get a good coach mid season but you have to try.

JV is trying to force the Spur's method of offense and is not succeeding.

You're wrong on both counts.

Vaughn needs to go. I'm convinced with a Skiles type of a coach, we'd be at .500 right now and our young guns would be growing.

Our offense in particular is a dumpster fire. Why we have O'Quinn starting to stand at the three point line is a wild mystery to me. Why we are playing the Professor and Frye together makes little sense. Why our guards are trying to force their dribble and passes into the clogged lane early in games with significant turnovers resulting is simply bad ball. Why Hark is now forever in purgatory is confusing.

We need a new coach. I can see no clear direction or consistency with this team, and that's on Vaughn.

Agreed

You're wrong on both counts.

I don't believe I am.

Forcing a team, to be like another, while ignoring their strengths and losing, is not success.

Bringing in a coach, if you can, now, you can stop fitting a square peg in a round hole and start early on chemistry.

Another poster asked when does the clock start for Henny? It started 3 years ago. Two more years. If we're not in the playoffs and at least competitive, time to move on.

Reposting this from another thread (because the idea should be in this thread rather than the season's thread):

I don't want to make this comparison, but remember when everyone was clamoring to have Doc Rivers fired at a 1-19 start because the team was better than he was coaching them? That he had "lost" the players?

I don't think this is another case of that (a great coach being unfairly blamed), but I wonder if we truly did and do have too high of expectations for this team after showing promise (like the '01 magic team against Detroit in the playoffs), and if JV is just becoming a scapegoat for our team's natural regression to their "norm."

Again, I'm someone who think JV is the inherently problem with our team, but I also thought that Doc at the time was the problem, and that's clearly not the case if you ask anyone today. Just a comparison I thought that would be fair to at least pose.

Obviously, James Borrego finishes out the year if Jacque loses his job, but give me an example(s) of your preferred candidate(s) for the summer if we get to that point?

Spenser Strode: This is a rare instance where a re-tread household name may be the appropriate coach to bridge the gap between Jacque Vaughn and the coach that is installed once the team is deemed ready to compete for a title. Two names that probably aren’t plausible, that I don’t think would be a long-term fit, but who may be the perfect link from the present to the future would be Scott Skiles and Nate McMillan. Name recognition, proven NBA track records, and coaches that garner respect from their players. We should be so lucky.

Brian Serra: I think a popular name this year, deserved or not, will be George Karl. But what I think the team needs is a coach that will get the defensive potential out of Elfrid Payton, Victor Oladipo and Aaron Gordon. Last year’s draft not so subtlely showed what Rob Hennigan wants to build – now he needs a coach to match. If a re-tread were to be targeted, a possibly fired Frank Vogel would be welcomed as well as a coach with USA Basketball roots in Nate McMillan. On the new coach route, Ed Pinckey or the younger Adrian Griffin of the Bulls would meet the defensive mentality. Dipping back into the USA Basketball pool and college ranks, two Virginia schools have interesting candidates in VCUs Shaka Smart and UVAs Tony Bennett – both who coached Payton and Gordon on the U-19 team (sorry Billy D).

Preston Raulerson: George Karl. I really want to see an established coach that comes in having decades of experience. More importantly, I think he would shift the focus to offense, and we would get a better look at our rebuild and our ability to maintaining scoring after being so pathetic for these last three years. Another option would be Mike Malone, but I worry that another opportunity for a young coach is going to be yet another variable for us to deal with when trying to assess the rebuild overall.

Adam Papageorgiou: As long as it’s not Billy Donovan. I can’t imagine the PTSD Tobias Harriswould have if he re-signs here and Scott Skiles is waiting for him in his office. I like George Karl, but I have no idea if his body can handle the physical toll of a full NBA season. I’d rather go younger. I’m not opposed to Nate McMillan or Mike Malone. I’m not big on Frank Vogel. There just isn’t a candidate in my eyes right now where I’d leap out of my seat and demand Jacque be fired in order to acquire. Shaka Smart and Kevin Ollie are two college coaches who I’d definitely try and interview, but they key listening to what my young core of players thinks of any candidate. Respect is the key here and not necessarily offensive or defensive schemes. I’m mentally prepared for Rob Hennigan to interview international candidates.

http://network.yardb...e_head_18036722

I don't believe I am.

Forcing a team, to be like another, while ignoring their strengths and losing, is not success.

Bringing in a coach, if you can, now, you can stop fitting a square peg in a round hole and start early on chemistry.

Another poster asked when does the clock start for Henny? It started 3 years ago. Two more years. If we're not in the playoffs and at least competitive, time to move on.

We play nothing like the Spurs.

We play nothing like the Spurs.

Our basic offense (from my eye test anyway) is very similar to that of the Spurs. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, either we haven't implemented (m)any of the wrinkles that make that offense great or else our young guys just can't make the reads that the offense demands. Or, our guys just don't have the right skills to make it work.

Our basic offense (from my eye test anyway) is very similar to that of the Spurs. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, either we haven't implemented (m)any of the wrinkles that make that offense great or else our young guys just can't make the reads that the offense demands. Or, our guys just don't have the right skills to make it work.

A little bit of both. Spurs offense works because they move the ball. Without that, it's terrible.

A little bit of both. Spurs offense works because they move the ball. Without that, it's terrible.

And they move themselves. We don't move off the ball nearly as much. Guys make an initial cut and then stand around and wait for the guy with the ball to do something.

And they move themselves. We don't move off the ball nearly as much. Guys make an initial cut and then stand around and wait for the guy with the ball to do something.

Yesssss

I don't mind the idea of borrego as an interim guy to shake it up.

he has more assistant coaching experience than JV did when we hired him. he spent longer under pop as an assistant, he was a coach to JV on one of the spurs championship teams. he has two rings as a coach with the spurs. I'm not going to pretend I know anything about how he'd be as a coach by himself other than summer league which doesn't really mean anything, but whenever I hear him talk in the after half interviews I usually agree with him, now he may just be saying whatever was said in the locker room or soemthing. But I honestly don't feel like he'd be a downgrade from JV on an interim basis. Scheme wise it's smoother, familiarity wise it's smoother, longer spurs assistant pedigree, and I feel like he's got a front row to the "man we should be doing this or that, but JV won't do it" How do you argue with JV on his subs in mid game or whatever as lead assistant?

I think borrego would be fine to finish out the season. if it doesn't look to be improving so what? it wasn't improving as it was. Puts all the available coaches on notice that we'll be interviewing without the "i don't want to interview for another guys job" feels. and maybe there's an off chance that borrego's legit and we start winning again, or coaching decisions at least seem to make sense more often than not...Maybe Moe didn't bang borrego's daughter like he must have with JV's and he at least gets active. I'm not saying i really give a crap about moe playing more or anything, but I do feel like whatever is going on there feels like it may be starting to be a cancer to the guys that are all pals with moe. I think JV sucking is a bigger issue than moe sucking.

I also think just from comparing the speaking style of JV vs Borrego, Borrego seems to speak more clearly and directly to the point which I think young guys need and respond to better (build a effin' wall!). JV does a lot of jib jab double speak type of talking that can be misleading or confusing and I can see young players not being clear on what he's wanting to do because of the way he relays the information. Maybe that's just the way he talks on camera. obviously this is strictly based on televised/internet videos of them describing our team, but I just have a gut reaction that borrego is easier to get what he's saying and move along. maybe JV touchy feely talk was required for noobs to develop, but we're moving past that inspirational talk crap, and "i was a player too" crap and we need to execute something precisely and if it's not relayed clearly I can see that being a source of some of our issues. lol, fwiw I just googled borrego's schooling, he has a master's degree in leadership studies...

/end borrego brain dump