Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Official 2014-2015 Strapped-In Season Thread

Just take a look at the trio’s shooting statistics so far during their inaugural 2014-2015 campaign together: oddly enough, Gordon, projected as a total non-shooter, is actually doing better from beyond the line than Payton, whose long-term success largely depends on his ability to hit it from deep. Actually, Gordon is 12/40 on the season (30%), while Payton is 9/38 (23.7%). Meanwhile, Oladipo is also well below league average from deep, but yet is performing better than his rookie teammates, largely due to his ability to hit the corner three, and his diminishing reluctance to take the shot in the first place. He’s shooting 72 for 215 on the season (33.5%), a mark that is exceedingly similar to his tally for his entire rookie season. It’s important to note that Gordon has only played in 42 games (and only 661 minutes in those games, averaging just over 15.5 minutes a game), while Payton has played in 77 (and played 2,305 minutes, averaging about 30 minutes per game). It’s less telling to look at their 2-point % splits – Gordon is a big masquerading as a wing who will live at the basket for the majority of his NBA career – as his field goal percentage from close up should be better. But Payton’s clear inability to splash from deep should be telling.

Oladipo, meanwhile, is much easier to compare to Payton as they both man the backcourt. In 10 less games, Oladipo has attempted 146 more 2-point shots, and converted them at a higher rate (46.5% compare to Payton’s 43.9%). The Magic’s strengths are clearly defense and slashing. Both guards have incredible first steps, and get to the rim seemingly at will; they also are tenacious defenders, which is also Gordon’s best ability. The Magic took a gamble on Channing Frye this season, hoping he would provide desperately needed spacing from a big, and yet there simply isn’t enough rim-protecting defense to go around with those two on the court. This gamble would have been better off made in an analogous player a couple years down the line. In the meantime, it is crucial that Payton develops a 3-point shot that somewhat threatens defenders who are going under picks without thinking twice on nearly every pick and roll Payton runs. It will also be key to force defenders to play Oladipo close on the wing, instead of sagging off to Lance Stephenson/Dwyane Wade like they do right now.

That is not to say that these three can’t improve. The Magic boast one of the best shooting coaching staffs in the league, headlined by shot guru Dave Love. Personally, I believe that all three will get better, with Payton and Gordon topping out at league average shooters from the field and Oladipo possessing the potential to develop into quite an accurate 3-point shooter. If this is the case, the sky is the limit for this young team. If not, they may find themselves back at the top of the lottery in short order, and back to the drawing board. It has also been reported from sources close to the team that the Magic intend to extend Hennigan’s contract. At the very least, we will get the pleasure of seeing Hennigan’s vision followed through. Hopefully, his defensive stalwarts can develop on the offensive end, and bring the Magic back to the NBAfinals, a feat they have managed only once in the past 20 years (and on the giant shoulders of Dwight Howard).

http://thesportsquot...or-defense-over

God this article is terrible.

This is the sports journalist world now. Any Joe Schmo with a computer can write whatever he/she has come to their minds. Anyone can make a website. Anyone can post a "rumor" with "sources". It's really hard to find good quality journalism these days.

Ok I know you aren't watching but the bulls just outscored the heat 33-8 in the third after going 12-33 in the second

I just saw this on twitter. That's insane. Has to be close to an NBA record.

Magic looking to upgrade the bench this summer. A few pieces - T12 (if $ is right), Fournier. They like Amir Johnson & Donald Sloan + more.

Via Twitter

Magic looking to upgrade the bench this summer. A few pieces - T12 (if $ is right), Fournier. They like Amir Johnson & Donald Sloan + more.

Via Twitter

Most of these are completely speculative. Writers make up things with unsubstaniated rumors all the time. That being said, I would love to have Fournier back another year, and T12 if he comes at the right price (which he may not).

Via Twitter

Where is this from? Link? We already have Fournier locked up for next year.

I pinged him about that. He was just trying to illustrate how the bench could look since Fournier is coming back.

I like the idea of Donald Sloan. He could be a steal as a backup PG.

I pinged him about that. He was just trying to illustrate how the bench could look since Fournier is coming back.

I like the idea of Donald Sloan. He could be a steal as a backup PG.

Eh, I'm not against the idea of Sloan. I'd just prefer a backup pg that can shoot.

I wonder, with the way our roster is constructed with Fournier comfortable with the ball in his hands, if we'd be better off going for a undersized shooting guard at backup point.