CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

Rob just did an interview with SVP & Russillo. Here are the key take aways from the interview:

- skiles hire was right fit and right hire based on coaching skills; familiarity with org was icing

- want to get talent that complement what already have; don't want to duplicate talent

- thinks shooting is a skill that can developed (of course they understand there's a cap in how great one's shooting can improve); they like to "bet on guys that can compete and have physical traits that can translate well to the nba game; like guys with strong work ethic to improve" and they'll always make that bet, in hopes their shooting improves.

- understands shooting is a little issue for the Magic but they'll continue to work towards addressing it

- trying to not make the team TOO young; wants balance

They asked some good questions. Hearing him answer them, makes me believe WTCS is the guy.

1- not young enough to make us too young

2- loves to compete & has awesome physical traits that should translate well.

3- good work ethic to improve his shooting

4- compliments our current pieces very well

everything just screams "safe pick"

winslow or WCS seem the safest

porzingis seems like the biggest boom or bust guy and that doesn't fit our profile

So with the comparisons, we have:

Porzingis best = Dirk

Porzingis worst = Frye

Porzingis middle = Rashard Lewis?

The upside is an all-time great scorer...but the greater likelihood is a mediocre player who fits into a certain role on a team. I don't see the defense we need in the post.

Everyone wants to salivate over potential but at least give me someone who I know will translate to the NBA. Mario's game translates to the NBA, most of the guys in college translate to the NBA. Mudiay translate to the NBA. I just don't see Porzingis becoming the next great international player. I see him being a bust more than any other player in the draft.

I don't care who we draft, they will not make a massive impact on this team year 1.

For clarity to what Im saying : Rob's comments yesterday have nothing to do with wanting WCS, what they tell me is that the Magic will most likely resign Tobias Harris. They refer more towards free agency.

So that means whomever we draft will most likely not be a starter and will not be expected to fill all the holes we have, because that is impossible.

We have many holes..shooting is one. Porzingis is an elite shooter with size and a very gd help side defender. I believe he would be drafted by a team who needs that. We need those things.

We need two way players - Winslow and Johnson are that

We need rim protection - WCS

We need another shooter in the backcourt and a potential go to scorer - Russell former plus latter , Mudiay latter.

Shooting can be found in free agency this year. Rob doesn't draft for shooting.

We could essentially take any of these guys listed at 5 and be a better team for it. We have that many holes.

So Russell cancelled his Philly workouts which means he's got a promise at 2 or he wants to force a move to 4 or 5

That's strange because I thought I read somewhere that he was excited about the prospect of playing in Philly. Wonder what it would cost to move up 2 spots? If they love Porzingis maybe we draft him, swap, and throw in a future protected 1st for draft rights to Russell. Philly does enjoy snatching picks from us.

So Russell cancelled his Philly workouts which means he's got a promise at 2 or he wants to force a move to 4 or 5

Sounds like his agent is trying to place him with the the Lakers or Knicks....

Go back to the conversation 2 pages ago where pretty much all of us acknowledged his floor. I don't think any of us expect him to become an All-Star but he has a lot more potential than anyone in this draft class and as a trade-off, he probably has the most bust potential as well.

The way I see it, the past couple years, Hennigan picked the safest guys on the board, which isn't necessarily an issue. It's a great way to start building a core. But eventually, you have to take a little bit of a gamble, especially when you're picking outside of the top 2 or 3.

He does not have more potential than anyone in the draft class. Anyone that will be available when were picking at 5? Maybe. But his potential is not better than Towns/Okafor/Russel and one could easily argue Mario/Winslow/Mudiay have just as much if not more potential. I completely agree he has the most bust potential.

Also, AG was a gamble and anything but a sure thing.

I don't care who we draft, they will not make a massive impact on this team year 1.

For clarity to what Im saying : Rob's comments yesterday have nothing to do with wanting WCS, what they tell me is that the Magic will most likely resign Tobias Harris. They refer more towards free agency.

So that means whomever we draft will most likely not be a starter and will not be expected to fill all the holes we have, because that is impossible.

We have many holes..shooting is one. Porzingis is an elite shooter with size and a very gd help side defender. I believe he would be drafted by a team who needs that. We need those things.

We need two way players - Winslow and Johnson are that

We need rim protection - WCS

We need another shooter in the backcourt and a potential go to scorer - Russell former plus latter , Mudiay latter.

Shooting can be found in free agency this year. Rob doesn't draft for shooting.

We could essentially take any of these guys listed at 5 and be a better team for it. We have that many holes.

Agree with most of what you said here except the Porz being an ELITE shooter. Didn't he shoot right around 30% from deep? Mario is an elite shooter, Porz can shoot but is far from "Elite" right now.

I don't see Frye at all in Porzingis. Porzingis is way taller. more athletic, and more fluid.

I actually hate that comp as well.

LA will pick him up. They need an offensive talent to play next to Kobe and to groom.

Agree with most of what you said here except the Porz being an ELITE shooter. Didn't he shoot right around 30% from deep? Mario is an elite shooter, Porz can shoot but is far from "Elite" right now.

I think he put up 45% at one time. I may be wrong, but I read this recently.

I actually hate that comp as well.

Yes but role wise he would play the same way if he floors it. Thats all I meant.