CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

Yeah, I just remember reading somewhere that they want an heir to Kobe and some people are questioning the effectiveness of an okafor- randle frontcourt

I think it would be nasty. Okafor is a beast on offense. Maybe Im missing something.

I think it would be nasty. Okafor is a beast on offense. Maybe Im missing something.

It'd be like pairing up Vucevic and, I dunno, Luis Scola?

Two very good offensively versatile big men with very poor defensive reputations at this point.

It'd be like pairing up Vucevic and, I dunno, Luis Scola?

Two very good offensively versatile big men with very poor defensive reputations at this point.

Yeah, I just think Okafor is a can't miss big man. And I know he is not a great defender, but he is something special still. To have those two guys down low would give them a really talented front court.

If LA does take Russell, I think Philly takes Mudiay and NYK takes Okafor for a steal at 4.

d

Robis a great evaluator of talent and also follows a different mindset than you and other posters here do. He believes that shooting is the skill that can be developed and improved the most. It is a common thought in the NBA, especially when you look at guys like Demar Derozoan and Kawai Leonard, two abysmal shooters in college who are now legit star wings.

To say Payton will have problems if he's not able to develop a shot is obvious. The Magic knew this before taking these guys.

Maybe. In the end it doesn't matter who follows which mindset. Rob came into a terrible situation and is trying to build his way out of it. On the way, we've had the worst consecutive three seasons in Magic history.

Whether Rob's moves look good in the abstract ultimately doesn't really matter. You can create rationales after the fact to support many different decisions. The only thing that matters in the end is whether Rob can create a winning team, and at this point no one knows the answer to that. To assume that he makes great decisions in the absence of evidence of their effectiveness is not something I'm prepared to do.

If the Magic start to win, then he deserves credit for his decisions, but not until then. I do think hiring Skiles is a step in the right direction.

My mock:

Min - Towns

LAL - Russell

Phi - Winslow

NYK - Okafor

Orl - WCS/Johnson/Porzingis/Turner

Sac - Mudiay

Den - Mario

My mock:

Min - Towns

LAL - Russell

Phi - Winslow

NYK - Okafor

Sac - Mudiay

Den - Mario

I'll give you a 10 for originality.

Right now mine would be:

Towns

Okafor

Russell

Mudiay

WInslow

WCS

Porz

Johnson

Mario

I think Mario drops a bit on draft night. Not a ton, just a tad. That could change though.

My mock draft would be:

#1 - Okafor, TWolves

#2 - Towns. Lakers

#3 - Russell, 76ers

#4 - Winslow, Knicks

#5 - WCS, Magic

#6 - Mudiay, Kings

#7 - Johnson, Nuggets

#8 - Porzingis, Pistons

#9 - Hezonja, Hornets

#10 - Turner, Heat

#11 - Kaminsky, Pacers

#12 - Lyles, Jazz

#13 - Oubre, Suns

#14 - Booker, Thunder

My mock draft would be:

#1 - Okafor, TWolves

#2 - Towns. Lakers

#3 - Russell, 76ers

#4 - Winslow, Knicks

#5 - WCS, Magic

#6 - Mudiay, Kings

#7 - Johnson, Nuggets

#8 - Porzingis, Pistons

#9 - Hezonja, Hornets

#10 - Turner, Heat

#11 - Kaminsky, Pacers

#12 - Lyles, Jazz

#13 - Oubre, Suns

#14 - Booker, Thunder

In this scenario we should be picking up an asset for Mudiay, but I could certainly see this being the final outcome after a trade.

My mock:

Min - Towns

LAL - Russell

Phi - Winslow

NYK - Okafor

Sac - Mudiay

Den - Mario

I don't think they'll let us draft 4 players

@fieldhoops: Willie Cauley-Stein is scheduled to workout with Sacramento, Orlando, New York and Miami.

d

Maybe. In the end it doesn't matter who follows which mindset. Rob came into a terrible situation and is trying to build his way out of it. On the way, we've had the worst consecutive three seasons in Magic history.

Whether Rob's moves look good in the abstract ultimately doesn't really matter. You can create rationales after the fact to support many different decisions. The only thing that matters in the end is whether Rob can create a winning team, and at this point no one knows the answer to that. To assume that he makes great decisions in the absence of evidence of their effectiveness is not something I'm prepared to do.

If the Magic start to win, then he deserves credit for his decisions, but not until then. I do think hiring Skiles is a step in the right direction.

Actually it does matter if we are discussing the draft and how and who the Magic pick and why. That is why I brought it up.

As nice as it is to say we need to wait to win until judging Rob, many people will not wait 15 seconds past the draft selection to start condemning the Magic and their future if the person they want is not selected.

Something funny about the new Zach Lowe article

Thompson had blown Saunders away during a pre-draft workout in 2011, when Saunders coached the Wizards. The Washington brain trust considered reaching for Thompson with the no. 6 pick before going the safe route with a big man — Jan Vesely, who ranked higher on most draft boards but is now out of the league. “We toyed with it,” Saunders says, “but heaven forbid you go out of the box and pick someone you’re higher on than anyone else.”

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/whats-next-for-kevin-love/