CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

Everyone talking about shooting and rim protection and I'm over here like, why not Kristaps? He's a risk, but he could potentially provide both needs to the team.

grantland.com/the-triangle/who-is-kristaps-porzingis/

Everyone talking about shooting and rim protection and I'm over here like, why not Kristaps? He's a risk, but he could potentially provide both needs to the team.

30% from 3 and .5 bpg don't fix anything. That article is why I don't want to draft him.

I wouldn't want Jordan period

You wouldn't want Jordan because he is overrated as a rim protector plus his offense is limited.

I think WCS is going to be better than Jordan on both ends. It's not like you will see Jordan chasing down stretch 4s and disrupting their 3 point shots or running the floor that quickly on fast breaks.

If we did draft this guy, I think Vuc is trade bait mid season and we become a very athletic team. Maybe the most athletic team in the league. I believe our defense would be very similar to Golden States, except it could be better once everyone gets familiarized. The problem is that Golden State also has an amazing offense.

The Magic have a chance at having a great offense if they add the right SF. The reason I say this is because Oladipo and Payton can create off the dribble and so can Evan. A lot of these spread teams can't do that. The Hawks really just had Teague and Carroll. If you singled everyone like teams used to do to the old Magic, it essentially destroyed their 3 point shot %. CLE did a great job of that.

Look at the Clippers - we would have an interesting version of them if WCS was our 5. The Clippers have a god at PG in Paul and a beast at PF in Griffin. We don't have that, but Gordon and Payton are showing flashes of at least being a B version of those guys, especially if Payton starts hitting more 3s.

The interesting thing is the Clippers wings are not as good. Would you take JJ and Barnes over Victor and even Tobias? Probably not. If the Clippers had better wings would they have beaten the Rockets? I think so.

Just some stuff Ive been thinking about. Remember, Skiles loves rim protectors. He played Bogut too much, but he knew Bogut was an elite 5 for his system. I wonder if thinks the same of WCS.

So maybe we should trade that great player and a pick for WCS. Seriously Dedmon is no where near what WCS is as a player. WCS is projected as one of the best defensive players of the last 5 years. We need rim protection desperately! It would cover so many of our interior issues and allow the guards to take more gambles defensively. I am not for creating a log jam at an already filled position. We have no one with presence inside period!

Lol, No way am I saying that Dedmon is on the same level as WCS. What I'm saying is that Dedmon is a pretty good shot blocker and it would be foolish to waste a top five pick on rim protection. Do we need more rim protection? Absolutely! That kind of need can be found in either free agency or in the 2nd round.

Kill two birds with one stone. I'd rather have him than WCS at five for sure.

Lol, No way am I saying that Dedmon is on the same level as WCS. What I'm saying is that Dedmon is a pretty good shot blocker and it would be foolish to waste a top five pick on rim protection. Do we need more rim protection? Absolutely! That kind of need can be found in either free agency or in the 2nd round.

Actually, Im not sure if it can be found in FA. I posted on this earlier, and I just don't see many options. I think Brandan Wright may be the best one, and he is not exactly a guy who can anchor a team for years like WCS should do.

You may get lucky and find a guy like this in the 2nd round, but the numbers suggest the Magic would actually do better to find a shooter in that round. Rim protectors are very coveted right now, because there are not many.

I used to think Dedmon was a poor man's WCS..same thing. But he is not for many of the reasons I already posted. A few :

- Does not run the floor at elite speed for a big

- Can not defend stretch 4s

- Terrible at pick and roll, a total liability on offense

It's not a crazy idea by any means. It just matters what the Magic want.

WCS is a guy you can run the pick and roll through.

Porzingis is going to avoid contact and not be that guy. You'd be running him off screens and treating him like a SF on offense. I'm also not sure how good he would be at rim protection when things get physical compared to WCS.

Boils down to the style of offense the Magic want to run.

Unless Henny goes to Spain, I don't think we will workout Hezonja.

I hope this doesn't sway Henny away because Hezonja is by far my favorite for #5.

Rob is likely in Italy for Eurocamp this week, so likely we get to see Mario, if we're interested.

Right now I'd be delighted with:

Hezonja

Porzingis

Winslow

and I'd be pretty happy with:

Johnson

Oubre

WCS

This list assumes the top 4 of Towns, Okafor, Russell and Mudiay (and I'd be happy with anyone of those guys except maybe Mudiay) so that just about covers pretty much everybody who's likely to be picked in the top 10 so I'm pretty cool with whichever way we go.

Or Myles Turner?

You wouldn't want Jordan because he is overrated as a rim protector plus his offense is limited.

I think WCS is going to be better than Jordan on both ends. It's not like you will see Jordan chasing down stretch 4s and disrupting their 3 point shots or running the floor that quickly on fast breaks.

If we did draft this guy, I think Vuc is trade bait mid season and we become a very athletic team. Maybe the most athletic team in the league. I believe our defense would be very similar to Golden States, except it could be better once everyone gets familiarized. The problem is that Golden State also has an amazing offense.

The Magic have a chance at having a great offense if they add the right SF. The reason I say this is because Oladipo and Payton can create off the dribble and so can Evan. A lot of these spread teams can't do that. The Hawks really just had Teague and Carroll. If you singled everyone like teams used to do to the old Magic, it essentially destroyed their 3 point shot %. CLE did a great job of that.

Look at the Clippers - we would have an interesting version of them if WCS was our 5. The Clippers have a god at PG in Paul and a beast at PF in Griffin. We don't have that, but Gordon and Payton are showing flashes of at least being a B version of those guys, especially if Payton starts hitting more 3s.

The interesting thing is the Clippers wings are not as good. Would you take JJ and Barnes over Victor and even Tobias? Probably not. If the Clippers had better wings would they have beaten the Rockets? I think so.

Just some stuff Ive been thinking about. Remember, Skiles loves rim protectors. He played Bogut too much, but he knew Bogut was an elite 5 for his system. I wonder if thinks the same of WCS.

On the topic of Bogut, I wonder how much Vuc's defense steps up under Skiles. Vuc has tools to do well on defense.

Rim protection, in my mind, is having a good rotational system and an athletic big man. WCS is that... but so is Dwayne Dedmon, and with more discipline, I think Dedmon could turn into that rim protector we need. WCS has only done well offensively because of his size, which he won't have as much of an advantage of in the NBA.

On the other hand, having an big athlete who can shoot the lights out is much - much - tougher to find in the NBA. You teach Mario (like Rashard Lewis) to play good TEAM defense, and that's all you need.

WCS is known for his lack of effort during some periods of time on the court. That hasn't been the case for ANY of our players drafted in the last 2-3 years. They may not be as skilled, but you never questioned their concentration or work-ethic on the floor.

For this reason alone, I am 99.9% sure we will not draft WCS.