CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

Oh, I know. I just like to remind people that Tim Duncan came into the league as an utterly dominant 2-way player. 1st team all-NBA as a rookie, finished in the top 5 in the MVP voting each of his first 8 years in the league.

We really didn't appreciate Tim enough during the first part of his career.

Agree. Wish there were more guys like that.

But nowadays people would say "OMG, he stayed in school 4 years, he musn't be good".

Totally different world.

Warriors have Bogut who is one of the better defensive bigs in the league when he's healthy. We can agree to disagree on Porzingis. If he goes top 10, let alone top 5, I think he ends up a big bust. I haven't been so against a player in a long time. I was one of the few that didn't like Exum last year but even than I liked him a lot more than I do Porz.

I want Mario, but it is important to understand why the Magic may want Porzingis.

Three best fits

Justise Winslow, SF, Duke (Chad Ford Big Board ranking: No. 6):Winslow could step in right away and help Orlando's shooting issues while also providing solid wing defense. He's a very good rebounder for his size, though defensive board work was already one of Orlando's strengths last season.

Kristaps Porzingis, PF, Latvia (No. 5): Porzingis looks like a fit from the perspective of shooting and his base position of power forward. He can also block shots and is an all-around solid athlete. He's also a slight 6-11, 220 pounds, and, despite the shot-swatting acumen, isn't what you'd call a prototypical rim protector. He would need a few years to add strength, though his skills are polished enough for him to contribute in some capacity right off the bat.

Myles Turner, PF, Texas (No. 10): If he can stay healthy, Turner projects to do the very things we've outlined as Orlando's biggest needs. At 7-0, Turner has the third-highest projected block rate in the draft behind Towns and Washington's super-long Robert Upshaw. And he has a smooth, legit 3-point stroke. He's raw and would take the requisite time to develop, but eventually a coach could craft an elite defensive unit around Turner, Oladipo, Payton and Gordon, right? And Turner helps with the spacing problem.

http://espn.go.com/n...-2015-nba-draft

I wouldn't mind trading down for Turner and pick up additional picks.

I am not sure where you have been but Euro players are playing damn well in the NBA now. We have a good one already in Evan. The Spurs won titles with theirs. The Bulls Euro finished higher than Payton in ROY votes. Main point is that the jury is not out on Euros anymore. I consider it a better feeder than the NCAA, which is essentially a few awesome 19 year olds playing guys who may one day aspire to play in the Euro leagues or China.

Rudy Gobert, as well

I want Mario, but it is important to understand why the Magic may want Porzingis.

I completely understand why the Magic would want a player that in theory could be their stretch 4, just don't think Porz is that guy.

I am not sure where you have been but Euro players are playing damn well in the NBA now. We have a good one already in Evan. The Spurs won titles with theirs. The Bulls Euro finished higher than Payton in ROY votes. Main point is that the jury is not out on Euros anymore. I consider it a better feeder than the NCAA, which is essentially a few awesome 19 year olds playing guys who may one day aspire to play in the Euro leagues or China.

Now Now Cat.....you are being far to defensive here..... I said that Euro players were doing well.....In fact I said they have made a heck of a contribution to the NBA, but the fact remains that the primary feeder system is the NCAA, despite of what anyone may think of them!

No my friend, I have a great respect for the Euro players, in fact they have closed the competition gap considerably.

I really enjoy how they are in many ways, a lot more fundamentally sound than the NCAA players! But the numbers still reflect the reality.

After speaking with NBA scouts and GMs it's still very possible that Hezonja could end up being taken ahead of both Porzingis and Winslow. But will they draft him without the ability to work him out and interview him? Hezonja probably is stuck in Spain through the rest of the draft process because of his commitments to FC Barcelona. It's going to take a GM who is willing to take a risk to draft him above those two. But he has elite size and athleticism for his position, is a terrific shooter and plays with an intensity that few can match in this draft. "He's crazy," one GM said. "But I think it's a good crazy. The type of crazy confidence that elite players need. If he can keep that competitiveness under control and be patient, he's got a good shot to be one of the two or three best players in this draft in five years. He has that 'it' factor that several guys ahead of him don't."

http://insider.espn....-Ford-Big-Board

As important as the #5 pick is you grab a guy to test him against, fly to Spain, work him out, interview him, and come home and choose based on your results!

Yea I would think a lot of teams will be doing that. Does anyone know if that would be a violation of something in his current Barcelona contract? Is he allowed to, hypothetically, meet with Rob and workout for us and stuff? I'm just not sure how professional contracts work over there. Also, has he made any indication that he's actually going to come here next year? I've read nothing concrete confirming that. Just saying he will want to come over here cause he's not playing a lot there seems like a stretch.

Yea I would think a lot of teams will be doing that. Does anyone know if that would be a violation of something in his current Barcelona contract? Is he allowed to, hypothetically, meet with Rob and workout for us and stuff? I'm just not sure how professional contracts work over there. Also, has he made any indication that he's actually going to come here next year? I've read nothing concrete confirming that. Just saying he will want to come over here cause he's not playing a lot there seems like a stretch.

He has a 2 million Euro buyout which he'll have to pay himself but his rookie contract will cover it easily if he takes out a loan. Honestly I can't see him not coming over though. Barca have been pretty crappy with him.