CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

An offensive big man who is lacking on the defensive end...sounds pretty similar to me.

Yes, his shot stretches to the 3pt line occasionally, but he isn't going to turn into the next Dirk. He doesn't jump that high, he just has long arms. But he is not going to be the offensive force that this team needs, especially when we have a player who arguably has a similar skill set.

He's 4th on my list of my top 4 and I almost want to drop him out of my top 4 completely and replace him with Stanley Johnson. I just don't like his style of play for this team as it is.

He's not lacking on defense though. I am not sure how you could watch his film and come to this conclusion.

Last time I checked, Vuc couldn't drain 3s, jump out of the gym and face up like a SF.

Or we could just have a different opinion...crazy but that does happen

I watched this video closely and I wasn't impressed. We don't need another offensive big. We need a defensive big and this kid doesn't excel at defense. If the Magic are picking a big, then you have to go with WCS and develop offense around him. It's easier to develop offense than defense. If the Magic are drafting a wing, then go for a 2-way player and hope to sign a free agent defensive big.

The guy is a super athletic 7 footer whose big rips are his strength (or lack thereof), he's a sub-par rebounder, and that, overall, he's very raw. His strengths are his athleticism, ability to run the floor, length, shot blocking ability/potential, ball handling (for his size) and shooting touch.

Outside of his shooting ability, that sounds very far from being like Vucevic.

He averaged 10ppg overseas so I would be pretty hesitant to label him as being an "offensive big".

He's not lacking on defense though. I am not sure how you could watch his film and come to this conclusion.

Last time I checked, Vuc couldn't drain 3s, jump out of the gym and face up like a SF.

Yup

He's lacking post defense because he weighs like 220 pounds at 7'1. He's laterally quick and has great length to bother shots.

Outside of his shooting ability, that sounds very far from being like Vucevic. He averaged 10ppg overseas so I would be pretty hesitant to label him as being an "offensive big".

Actually that's pretty good for a European player. Mirotic was the 2013 Spanish League MVP and he averaged 11.4 PPG

Winslow looks like a young James Harden (little less O, but more D). If he were an inch or two taller I don't think there'd be any debating about our pick. That or he wouldn't be available at #5.

Yup

He's lacking post defense because he weighs like 220 pounds at 7'1. He's laterally quick and has great length to bother shots.

That's ridiculously skinny; he looks like he weighs more than that.

Again, all of those are offensive things. Outside of his length and lateral quickness...I just don't see the defensive juggernaut that we need. He gets pushed around a lot, he can't jump as much as people think he can. His wingspan is stupid which makes him appear like he can jump out of the gym, but he's not getting up higher than Anthony Davis is and I only use that comparison for body type.

If we draft him, playing him and Vuc at the same time would open us up to be demolished by any team with a semi-decent offensive big man. The reason, Dipo/Gordon are so valuable is because both of them are (or will become) 2-way players. We drafted AG on his athleticism and defensive potential. We knew his offense was an issue and that will be something we develop over time.

Drafting a wing like Mario or Winslow, in my mind, puts AG back at the 4 spot for the time being. If we want AG at the 3, then we should draft a big and that big should be WCS who is already an elite defender. It is easier to develop his offensive game than for someone else to be developed defensively.

I personally like Winslow/Mario...I think either of them would be great here. However, I just can't visualize getting Porzingis over WCS.

Cat.....I love your knowledge and information, but not right now. I have seen the same youtube videos on this guy since everyone started raging about him. I like what he is attempting to accomplish but the jury is going to be out on this kid until he goes against NBA caliber players.

I see this kid as a project, he will need a lot of development for what this team needs, and we sure don't need another big getting tossed around like Shawn Bradley, with a 3pt shot! Wow, I almost described Channing Frye! Give him 2 years, but not now...not for us!

Cat.....I love your knowledge and information, but not right now. I have seen the same youtube videos on this guy since everyone started raging about him. I like what he is attempting to accomplish but the jury is going to be out on this kid until he goes against NBA caliber players.

I see this kid as a project, he will need a lot of development for what this team needs, and we sure don't need another big getting tossed around like Shawn Bradley, with a 3pt shot! Wow, I almost described Channing Frye! Give him 2 years, but not now...not for us!

I agree.

Again, all of those are offensive things. Outside of his length and lateral quickness...I just don't see the defensive juggernaut that we need. He gets pushed around a lot, he can't jump as much as people think he can. His wingspan is stupid which makes him appear like he can jump out of the gym, but he's not getting up higher than Anthony Davis is and I only use that comparison for body type.

If we draft him, playing him and Vuc at the same time would open us up to be demolished by any team with a semi-decent offensive big man. The reason, Dipo/Gordon are so valuable is because both of them are (or will become) 2-way players. We drafted AG on his athleticism and defensive potential. We knew his offense was an issue and that will be something we develop over time.

Drafting a wing like Mario or Winslow, in my mind, puts AG back at the 4 spot for the time being. If we want AG at the 3, then we should draft a big and that big should be WCS who is already an elite defender. It is easier to develop his offensive game than for someone else to be developed defensively.

I personally like Winslow/Mario...I think either of them would be great here. However, I just can't visualize getting Porzingis over WCS.

Probably not a really good basis for an argument against the guy. Very few, if any, are getting up higher than Anthony Davis at the moment.

Yeah, I am pretty much with you here! If we go big, it should be WCS just for the respect that he will command on that side of the court.

I don't see his offense being as bad as Tyson Chandler, but he could develop into a more serviceable and smarter.......Dwight Howard on offense in time!

What the heck, he may even be a better version of Dandre Jordon, ....we still winn!!!