CTMagicUK

Official 2015 Draft Thread

So you're saying that Enes Kanter is worth more than the 14th pick, lamb, Novak, and Jones?

Not sure about that

They need to determine if Kantner, $5.5M in 2015 tax savings, and even more 2016 tax savings due to repeater is worth more than pick 14, Lamb, Novak, and Jones. If it was just about talent, they never would have traded Harden.

Also, just from a quick glance, I'm pretty certain we could still do that deal anyway.

Yes we definitely could and this is why I keep saying that people overreact way too much about this Frye deal.

That's not what that part of the link means.

It means that, for instance, the Magic's CAP holds for Vasquez and Richardson aren't counted in determining the Magic's tax liability.

Enes Kanter was a member of the team this year. His salary for this season is very much counted towards whether or not the team pays the tax.

The Thunder's CAP hold for Kanter won't go into effect until the FA period begins.

You're right, my bad. I misinterpreted. OKC is definitely a taxpayer this year, they would be trying to avoid paying the repeater tax next year if they made the deal.

I am expecting Russell to get off to a fast start to his NBA career even though he will play the first half of his rookie season as a teenager. In his only season at Ohio State, he showed that he not only possessed great skills, but also maturity and confidence well beyond his age.

Although he has not physically matured yet and there will be a learning curve for Russell as a point guard at the league's most dynamic position, he is likely to be put on the floor immediately and be allowed to grow into the position. By my count, there are at least five teams who will pick in the early part of the lottery that desperately need a point guard.

Point guards are used to having the ball in their hands and are not as reliant on their teammates for them to have success, so it may be easier for Russell to have an immediate impact. And because the NBA is officiated more closely with less contact on the perimeter than in college, strength is not the factor that it is in the low post.

http://insider.espn....-fast-nba-draft

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to determine that a player likely selected in the first three picks will get off to a fast start to his NBA career, though players like Derrick Williams, Hasheem Thabeet and Michael Beasleycould be classified as "busts."

I expect the 6-foot-11 Towns to start strong as an NBA rookie in part because he played his best basketball at the end of the season and rapidly improved. Keep in mind that he did not have a game with double-figure field-goal attempts until Feb. 3. That changed down the stretch of Kentucky's season.

In Towns' last five games, all in the NCAA tournament, he played 23 minutes per game and averaged 14.2 points and 6.8 rebounds while shooting 63 percent. And although he was part of Kentucky's season-long platoon system, he evolved into a major offensive weapon for the Wildcats.

Towns' freshman season per-40-minute numbers were remarkably similar to those of former Kentucky player and rising NBA star Anthony Davis, and just behind fellow former Wildcat DeMarcus Cousins.

http://insider.espn....-fast-nba-draft

Pelton: I went with shooting here. The Magic have loaded up on good athletes like Aaron Gordon, Victor Oladipo and Elfrid Paytonthe past two drafts, but at the expense of shooting. Orlando hoped to get that from Channing Frye, but the veteran free agent was something of a disappointment in his first season with the Magic.

Chad Ford:I think shooting and rim protection are the two areas where I see the most need. Obviously, if the Magic get the No. 1 pick, I love Karl-Anthony Townshere because he does both so well. I think D'Angelo Russell's shooting would be welcome, though there might be a logjam at guard if they take him. Assuming they pick around No. 5, Willie Cauley-Stein is an obvious choice because of his defensive and rim-protection abilities, but I don't see how you can draft him after taking Aaron Gordon last year. So two other names interest me: Kristaps Porzingis and Myles Turner. Both are essentially higher-upside versions of Channing Frye with the added benefit of being rim-protectors. I have Porzingis ranked ahead of Turner, and the Latvian would be my choice, but Turner would be very intriguing as well.

Pelton: I think we're going to hear Justise Winslow a lot if Orlando ends up outside the top four. Winslow's athleticism is intriguing with the Magic's guards, but despite his 41.8 percent 3-point shooting at Duke, he doesn't project as a good outside shooter. He made just 64.9 percent of his free throws.

http://insider.espn....rnets-nba-draft

Im sorry, but Ford is on drugs if he thinks the obvious choice is WCS at pick 5. That just makes no sense to me. I think the Magic would take Winslow, and if he was already taken that means that Okafor or Mudiay or Russell is there and they would take one of them.

If we took turner at 5 I'd be stunned. Porzingis I could see. But I still think Mario would be a better pick than both of them.

• Upvote 1

Im sorry, but Ford is on drugs if he thinks the obvious choice is WCS at pick 5. That just makes no sense to me. I think the Magic would take Winslow, and if he was already taken that means that Okafor or Mudiay or Russell is there and they would take one of them.

If we took turner at 5 I'd be stunned. Porzingis I could see. But I still think Mario would be a better pick than both of them.

I don't get why you think WCS is a horrible pick at 5? He fills a need on defense and we have other offensive options, so he wouldn't have the pressure of needing to put up points each night.

WCS > Turner x 1000000

I know you're all aboard the slashing SG/SF train, but we also need a defensive big man and WCS is arguably the best on the board.