Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Moving ahead, Gordon will be a "3" (SF)

I'm just curious to see if this dude will be starting from day one. That will be very interesting, especially for Hark and Harris.

I can't see that happening. I think he will have to earn his minutes in camp and practice.

I'm just curious to see if this dude will be starting from day one. That will be very interesting, especially for Hark and Harris.

IMO if Gordon starts at SF to start the season than I truly believe that Harris will primarily play PF

there is no way that will happen if we're trying to win

there is no justification for him playing over either

I find this article to be very accurate so far:

"Assuming Parker enters the draft, Gordon likely has a ceiling of the No. 4 pick. Wiggins, Embiid and Parker are a clear category over the likes of Dante Exum, Gordon, Randle and Vonley. The latter foursome each hold All-Star potential but are not as likely to be transformational pieces. They also carry semi-significant risks in one way or another.

For Gordon, it largely comes down to his offensive development and position. He's slight for his size at 225 pounds, so a coaching staff may be tempted to develop him as a power forward—a mistake considering his skill set but nonetheless a potential pitfall that may harm his long-term trajectory. Gordon is an improving shooter and stretched out to the college three-point line with increasing ease during the NCAA tournament.

He's still a net negative when pushed away from the basket. According to Synergy Sports (subscription required), Gordon knocked down just 29.3 percent of his jump shots as a freshman. Tracking data showed him to be especially poor on jumpers inside the three-point arc, making just 9 of 40 attempts. He was about average (35.6 percent) from three.

Although Blake Griffin is most often the comparison thrown around, Griffin was far more advanced offensively coming out of Oklahoma. Despite his athleticism, Gordon has not developed into an elite offensive rebounder yet. Early in his career, expect Gordon to rely heavily on transition buckets, baseline cuts and pick-and-roll crashes, all areas where he showed promise under Miller.

Where Gordon separates himself, though, is on defense. He may be the most advanced defender among potential lottery picks. He executes team-defense concepts extraordinarily for someone not yet 19, uses his body well in the post and is agile enough to hop out on perimeter defenders when guards need help. Arizona had the most efficient defense in the country, per Ken Pomeroy.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2029007-aaron-gordon-officially-announces-he-will-enter-2014-nba-draft

EDIT: don't post full articles

Thanks for posting, nice read! This will be a great team to watch on defensive end too once again, cant wait for training camp and some preaseason games to start. I think this will be first time in few years I'll be getting league pass again to watch our team play!

This was written by a "Fan"...A huge Magic Fan regarding Aaron Gordon....

Bad free throw shooters, position and Aaron Gordon (UPDATE: back to 1976)

There's been some debate about whether Aaron Gordon is a small forward or a PF. He's mostly playing nominal SF in the summer league. Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I'm considering him a PF, aside from the fact that that's what he played in college, is that that at least gives him a fighting chance to be something. Given that nobody (at least nobody anyone's managed to discover) has ever posted a career NBA free throw percentage more than 16% better than his college FT percentage, it seems highly unlikely (not impossible, just mostly unprecedented) that Gordon (currently at .422) will pass .550-.570 or so. And the fact is that, while it's certainly possible (not ideal, but possible) to be an NBA big man with .550 free throw shooting and no jumper, it's historically been much tougher for wings to overcome that kind of weakness.

In the last 15 years, the following players have seasons with .550 FT shooting or worse while playing starting minutes and shooting 125+ free throws.

CENTERS AND POWER FORWARDS

Andre Drummond 1 (1 under .500)

DeAndre Jordan 4 (3 under .500)

JJ Hickson 1

Dwight Howard 3 (2 under .500)

Blake Griffin 1

Shaquille O'Neal 6 (3 under .500)

Jamaal Magloire 2

Kwame Brown 1

Ben Wallace 9 (all 9 under .500)

Bo Outlaw 1

Antoine Walker 1

Reggie Evans 1

SOMETIMES A "SMALL FORWARD", REALLY A POWER FORWARD

Josh Smith 2

FULL-TIME WINGS AND POINT GUARDS

Nobody.

In fact, 3 of these 15 seasons saw no NBA starter shoot below .550. And aside from Smith and single-season performances from Rajon Rondo (whose FT percentage dipped to .597 in 2011-12),Andre Iguodala (whose .574 in 2012-13 was kind of baffling) and Baron Davis (whose .580 in 2001-02 was equally strange), no SF or guard in the last 15 years has dipped below .600 and still managed to hold down a starting job. All four of these players have career free throw percentages above .600, with Iguodala's and Davis' topping .700.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2014/7/9/5883473/bad-free-throw-shooters-position-and-aaron-gordon

EDIT: you know the rules. Don't post full articles.

• Upvote 1

I was gonna say....See Catman above...It's why I did it...

So you think it's ok to do something wrong when you see someone else get away with it?

So you think it's ok to do something wrong when you see someone else get away with it?

Pulling a Ball Junkie I think it's termed as.

This was written by a "Fan"...A huge Magic Fan regarding Aaron Gordon....

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2014/7/9/5883473/bad-free-throw-shooters-position-and-aaron-gordon

EDIT: you know the rules. Don't post full articles.

If he doesn't improv his FT% (which I think he will), I guess we could say there is a first for everything?

Because of his quickness and athleticism, I see him playing the SF spot with a PF who can stretch the floor. That said, he's also the youngest player in the draft and rumor has it, still growing at 6'9". He can easily add 20 lbs of muscle to his frame too. So who is to say that he cannot be a lightning fast, strong, dominating PF in 3 years?

If he doesn't improv his FT% (which I think he will), I guess we could say there is a first for everything?

Because of his quickness and athleticism, I see him playing the SF spot with a PF who can stretch the floor. That said, he's also the youngest player in the draft and rumor has it, still growing at 6'9". He can easily add 20 lbs of muscle to his frame too. So who is to say that he cannot be a lightning fast, strong, dominating PF in 3 years?

I am sure junkie will find an article saying that he can't.