Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Magic sign Channing Frye

Thats the thing about this summer - none of the free agents are worth the contract they are getting. The Magic saw that coming and budgeted accordingly.

It's smart to take a chance on a guy with the potential to regain his old form in Gordon (this is a classic Spurs move), and then overpay a little but stay at the 8 million mark for a starting PF who fills an immediate shooting need.

Frye's contract will contain 4.5% salary DECREASES to help with the salary cap.

Per Josh Robbins.

So most likely:

14/15 $8,560,707

15/16 $8,175,476

16/17 $7,807,579

17/18 $7,456,238

http://ht.ly/yYWPI

I thought it would have been less than that annual. Could have at least got it down to 6.5. As other's have said, it is slightly insignificant but 400,000k in someones bank in this forum would make them likely to quit their jobs(if they don't enjoy it of course).

Magic sign Channing Frye (four years, $32M)

Grade: C. Coming off back-to-back sub-25-win seasons and without a clear-cut superstar in its developmental pipeline, Orlando was always going to struggle to keep up in free agency this summer. The A-list stars had no reason to give it the time of day, and its pitch to B-list players was focused on the ability to spend well above the mid-level exception rather than any shot at winning big in the near future.

After quickly and drastically overpaying Ben Gordon for no apparent reason, the Magic have now paid Frye, a good player, as if he were a very good player. So far, Frye's agreement ties him with Avery Bradley's contract as the third-largest expenditure of this summer, trailing only the contracts given to Marcin Gortat ($60 million over five years) and Kyle Lowry ($48 million over four years). By comparison, a similarly skilled player -- Spencer Hawes -- committed to the Clippers for nearly 30 percent cheaper. Ditto for Josh McRoberts and the Heat. Last summer, the Hawks added 2014 All-Star forward Paul Millsap for just $19 million over two years.

Orlando will justify its spending -- call it the "perennial loser's tax" -- by first pointing to Frye's reputation as a shooter. The Magic ranked No. 29 in offensive efficiency and No. 19 in three-point percentage last season, and their young guards, rookie Elfrid Payton and 2013 lottery pick Victor Oladipo, will benefit from extra room to work in the paint. The Suns' offensive rating soared from 102.5 when Frye was off the court to 110.4 when he was on the court last season, clear evidence of his team-wide impact.

Although Frye has a soft touch for a player his size, he shot 37 percent from deep last season, which is closer to average than it is elite. His 13.2 Player Efficiency Rating is below average, placing him between the likes of Luis Scola (paid $4.5 million by the Pacers last season) and Glen Davis (paid millions to go away by the Magic, who bought him out). Frye has never been known as a physical presence; last season, he averaged fewer than one offensive rebound per game while taking more than 80 percent of his shots outside the basket area. Put that together, and his overall offensive game shades toward one-dimensional. He's nice as a complementary fourth or fifth option, like he was last season, but he is now set to be Orlando's highest-paid player in 2014-15. Perhaps this would make more sense if he were an impact defender, but he isn't.

This stands as an overpay, one cushioned a bit by Frye's sterling off-court reputation, the likelihood that he will age gracefully because of the nature of his game, Orlando's need for a veteran leader and the Magic's need to pay someone this summer given their minuscule salary commitments. Yes, Frye should make the Magic better in the short term, but his new compensation suggests that he is a core building block, and that's simply expecting too much if meaningful postseason success is the objective.

http://www.si.com/nb...e-agency-grades

That article is not really clued in to what is going on. 8mm does NOT suggest a guy is a core building block in this market. The Magic are building off of guys like Dipo, Payton, Harris, Harkless, Vuc, Gordon. I feel like that should be pretty obvious to a publication like SI.

Still a good read. Trying to think of when Hennigan's grades are high on anything right after they occur and I can not. Its usually a year later the writers change their tune.

Bill Simmons mocked us for trading Ayon. A guy he said he "loved" - for example.

Hmm, interesting.

I agree that the contract we gave him doesn't indicate we think he's building block material (obviously), but the rest of the article is right in line with my opinion.

Even if he offensive game were one dimensional (which it is not), he would still be doing more than just hitting 3's with regard to our offense. The players he is comparing Frye to are also way off considering McBob has had no where near the impact on any team he has played on and Hawes has not been as consistant. I would also add that if Millsap hit the FA market today he would be getting considerably more than 19 over 2.

For the life of me I still can't understand why writers keep harping on the Gordon signing, it's 1 yr which forces a former legit scorer to sink or swim. Either way it doesn't hurt us for any more than this year. It's low risk, high reward, I don't get the issue.

Even if he offensive game were one dimensional (which it is not), he would still be doing more than just hitting 3's with regard to our offense. The players he is comparing Frye to are also way off considering McBob has had no where near the impact on any team he has played on and Hawes has not been as consistant. I would also add that if Millsap hit the FA market today he would be getting considerably more than 19 over 2.

For the life of me I still can't understand why writers keep harping on the Gordon signing, it's 1 yr which forces a former legit scorer to sink or swim. Either way it doesn't hurt us for any more than this year. It's low risk, high reward, I don't get the issue.

I am beginning to wonder if it is because so much of what Hennigan has done is stuff they didn't predict, they panned it, and then it turned out they were wrong. I think there is some animosity toward him for proving them wrong a number of times already. They are not necessarily "gunning" for him, but they may be looking with a negative attitude. Maybe they figure if they keep viewing his moves negatively, eventually they will be "proved right".

They're harping on it because of how much we overpaid. The ability to get rid of him after this season is a separate issue, it's a fact that we overpaid so I see no problem in them bringing it up. I'd think less of their articles if they didn't mention it.

That's preposterous. If it was for two years guaranteed, they would be harping on that as well. It's the terms of the contract, how much per year, and for how many years. They aren't separate issues. The only "issue" is that's it's more difficult to rant about something when you stop to point out the full picture and the benefits associated with the aspects that are being left out to suit the tone of the piece.

Marc Acres made the point that it's essentially only a one year deal, so who cares. The point is that it doesn't matter if it's one year, it's still a highly overpaid one year, having the ability to get rid of him after the season doesn't change that. That's why they are harping on it.

What aspects were left out of the article?

If it was for two years guaranteed you'd be crying "We're giving Ben Gordon NINE MILLION DOLLARS." However, with only one year guaranteed it's "who cares if the second year isn't guaranteed, we're still paying him more than we should".

Other than your perception of his worth and how much we should be paying him for his service, what impact is there to the team?

The Magic are in a no lose situation with Ben Gordon and his contract. If they didn't pay him 4.5 million they'd have to pay somebody anyway, if he steps out of line he can be waived, if he has a poor year we don't pick up his second year, if he plays well he's a trade asset and if he plays really well we can keep him for the second year. How people can just be like "they overpaid- terrible deal" is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

The Magic are in a no lose situation with Ben Gordon and his contract. If they didn't pay him 4.5 million they'd have to pay somebody anyway, if he steps out of line he can be waived, if he has a poor year we don't pick up his second year, if he plays well he's a trade asset and if he plays really well we can keep him for the second year. How people can just be like "they overpaid- terrible deal" is beyond me.

Exactly. Fairly low risk, potentially high reward.