Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Magic sign Channing Frye

If they guard him closely then we win. It pulls a big out of the lane so Dipo and Payton can attack the rim.

Every game last year I saw Dipo beat one or two defenders off the dribble only to have a big waiting for him. The idea is that big won't be there now or will be too late to help.

Bingo - that's it.

The modern NBA is built on 2 shots - the 3 and the above the rim high % finish. A fast team with excellent defense can focus more on lane penetration.

We are so used to seeing teams bombing from 3 point range that we forget that speed kills in the paint.

I definitely do not see Frye getting as many open 3s as he did in PHO. Can't argue that. But I also think the Magic know that as well.

For the stat hounds out there, I don't follow Frye much - he a good defender? What kind of defense is he good at?

It vaguely looks like we're going for a Spurs/Pistons model - REALLY good defense, and then players that are smart and creative (although apparently limited?) on offense.

For the stat hounds out there, I don't follow Frye much - he a good defender? What kind of defense is he good at?

It vaguely looks like we're going for a Spurs/Pistons model - REALLY good defense, and then players that are smart and creative (although apparently limited?) on offense.

He is not a shot blocker but he can defend well. Stays in front of his man and has length to disrupt shots. Not a weak defender, not a great one. But IMO better than anything we had at PF the last few years.

• Upvote 1

He is not a shot blocker but he can defend well. Stays in front of his man and has length to disrupt shots. Not a weak defender, not a great one. But IMO better than anything we had at PF the last few years.

I would say that O'Quinn did a reasonably good job on the defensive end when he played the PF, though he got a lot of "rookie fouls"; but I would agree that Frye does better defensively than anyone else we had playing at the PF spot.

I think with Frye on our team we'll see the Utah Jazz type of offense when they still had Okur. Very athletic team with lots of cutters and big man 3point thread to keep the middle clear.

Frye's contract will contain 4.5% salary DECREASES to help with the salary cap.

Per Josh Robbins.

So most likely:

14/15 $8,560,707

15/16 $8,175,476

16/17 $7,807,579

17/18 $7,456,238

http://ht.ly/yYWPI

Frye's contract will contain 4.5% salary DECREASES to help with the salary cap.

Per Josh Robbins.

So most likely:

14/15 $8,560,707

15/16 $8,175,476

16/17 $7,807,579

17/18 $7,456,238

http://ht.ly/yYWPI

See guys, Henny is a cap ninja :)

Sounds like Rashard Lewis.

(Which is a good thing). I guess I assumed he couldn't defend(I don't pay attention to the league like I used to). Maybe this ain't so bad, chief. Especially factoring in the front loaded contract.

Gordon to an effective one year deal, with the second being a team option, Frye front loaded. It's almost like Hennigan knows what he's doing. Even if you disagree with the personnel choices or the amounts involved, you'd have to, at a minimum, acknowledge that both those provisions were smart moves.

• Upvote 1

Gordon to an effective one year deal, with the second being a team option, Frye front loaded. It's almost like Hennigan knows what he's doing. Even if you disagree with the personnel choices or the amounts involved, you'd have to, at a minimum, acknowledge that both those provisions were smart moves.

Good points.

The Gordon deal is fine, it's too much for the one year but that doesn't really matter.

With Frye, is it really a big deal that year three is 200k less than we originally thought, and year four is 550k less? I mean, it helps, but if a team is going to trade for him, it's not like a few hundred thousand would make or break the deal. With the cap going up in future years, it's not like that little bit of savings is going to be the difference in us landing a player we want or not.

I think where it helps is if we use the stretch provision. We can make that last year 3 years for the cap hit at 2,485,412

Right or 2.66 if it was the original 8 million. I think we're splitting hairs here, red ones even.

I'm glad it doesn't go UP, but the amount it goes down is insignificant IMO.

That 200k might be really important lol