Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Magic sign Channing Frye

Spacing only matters if you're players are capable of hitting the shot. Spacing doesn't make someone a better shooter, it just gives them more room to actually shoot. If your players aren't great, or even good shooters, having a guy who can help spread the floor isn't as beneficial. I don't think I've seen Payton take a single jump shot in three summer league games (I also have been in and out of the room so maybe I missed them). Expecting him to become a reliable three point shooter just because Frye is on the team is a bit unrealistic in my opinion. The guy has to learn how to shoot first.

Spacing doesn't just help shooters. It means that the paint is less clogged with bodies and therefore gives more room for athletic slasher type players that can drive and dish or just plain drive. Last I looked we have a few of them.

I guess that's cool and all, but what or how does that relate to the rest of the team?

I was just pointing out what I think jmmagicfan was getting at.... not arguing his point for him.

Spacing only matters if your players are capable of hitting the shot. Spacing doesn't make someone a better shooter, it just gives them more room to actually shoot. If your players aren't great, or even good shooters, having a guy who can help spread the floor isn't as beneficial. I don't think I've seen Payton take a single jump shot in three summer league games (I also have been in and out of the room so maybe I missed them). Expecting him to become a reliable three point shooter just because Frye is on the team is a bit unrealistic in my opinion. The guy has to learn how to shoot first.

Dragic and Bledsoe both shot better last year from 3 than any previous year in there careers.

If a player doesn't provide good leadership, then "veteran leadership" wouldn't apply to that person. The point is that there are many guys who can bring it, you don't need to pay anyone 8 million to find it. You're just reading more into what I said than whats there.

As for the rest of your post, let me guess, Frye can spread the floor?

No, actually, I'm taking your post at face value, but you're extracting all these things that were never actually said and acting as if you explained them in detail, we're all just to dense to comprehend. When literally everyone else has "reading comprehension issues" maybe it's time to look inward.

Frye was a guy Hennigan wanted, for several reasons. His market value was hinted to be above the MLE, pushing the 7M per year range for contending teams. We aren't a contending team, so Hennigan paid a small premium to secure his services. It's not the end of the world, get over it.

...but all he does is shoot 3's!!!

Wow !...Great stat....He's gonna add 10 more wins to our team !!...Nice find and there is no doubt in my mind his game fits our team and he is gonna help us tremendously in multiple ways.

But we are now just so young....All you had to do was watch our lottery picks this afternoon and you can see this team even with Frye is gonna go through some serious growing pains.

Wow !...Great stat....He's gonna add 10 more wins to our team !!...Nice find and there is no doubt in my mind his game fits our team and he is gonna help us tremendously in multiple ways.

But we are now just so young....All you had to do was watch our lottery picks this afternoon and you can see this team even with Frye is gonna go through some serious growing pains.

Of course they are, and no one should reasonably expect otherwise. With a team so young, we're going to see a good bit of youthful boneheaded plays, and we should see some serious "wow" moments as well. I don't think we'll be a serious playoff team in the next two seasons unless some guys develop a lot faster than expected, or we make a big move.

Very true. I think a combination of things will make us a little better than our overall talent might suggest. If Tobias and Vuc are both healthy, they could both put up some big numbers with the lack of otherwise scoring threats. Also our defense could be smothering at times, and lead to a lot of scoring with our athletes in transition.

I'm embarrassed we have all spent so much time explaining to this guy why the signing happened and he still doesn't grasp basic concept like how a stretch 4 does not just make shooting 3s easier for PGs.

He then claimed that he doesnt think this signing actually will hurt us in the future.

He also states that he knows we can't get Parsons.

Junkie of course trolls as usual and agrees with him, cementing the fact that he has no idea what he is actually talking about.

At this point I am curious - what could the Magic have done in free agency that would make the whiners happy and turned this team into am immediate contender?

All I read is complaining, but no real reason why or see any alternatives presented.

Harris can't provide the same spacing as Frye with his shooing percentage, size, and style of play. Frye providing all that he does helps the development of young players, which has been previously pointed out in this thread.

Young players develop because of the veterans around them. This isn't the NBA 2K series. The vets you bring in during these developmental years directly affects how the younger players will turn out in the future.

I go back and forth on Junkie. Sometimes I think he is trolling. Other times I think he deliberately just takes the opposite position of the majority on the forum to promote discussion.

If you think I don't understand the concept of a stretch four, or how that benefits his teammates in more ways than just a PG shooting threes, it's because you're telling yourself that to feel superior.

The trickle down effect of Frye having a successful outside game isn't exclusive to Frye, anyone who can shoot three's with consistent accuracy would bring all of the same benefits that Frye brings in terms of spacing the floor. Without giving Harris enough time to prove he's capable of that, it's foolish to lock a guy up for 32 million. The name of the game was patience, development for the future, but a lot of people seem to be turning their attention to the present all of a sudden. When it's all because of a guy like Frye, I can't help but think half of you are joking.

Give it a rest dude. You don't like the signing. We get it. You act like we just gave Gilbert Arenas 20M a year for the next four years. It's your privilege to think that Rob made a mistake, but it's only your opinion and nothing more.