Sign in to follow this  
Franchero MVP

Magic sign Channing Frye

I think this doenst make al ot of sense to me, but i really want to reserve judgement and watch the team up until Christmas to see if anything is happening.

Frye is the type of player Hennigan wants on this team. Character guy, on and off the court. He will spread the floor and make things easier for our PG's.

Did we "over pay"? Sure. But you have to consider our position as well. We aren't a contender, and we aren't going to be in the immediate future. If you were Frye, all things being equal, would you rather go to Orlando or a contender? So, we have to sweeten the pot to coax him here to the Magic.

His contract is not anywhere near the level of the Lewis contract.

• Upvote 1

Thank You, sir....To tired to look it up....So we did overpay...with no player/team options.

Nope - don't see him actually getting a MLE in this market. This is a summer of overpaying for sure, but Pelton is wrong (again) about Frye's market value.

Look, I get it. There's nothing Rob can do that you'll question. Awesome.

You usually like to use PER as part of your arguments, but considering Frye had a PER of just 13.26 last season I'm not surprised to see you go a different route with this "argument". Does PER mean anything or does it not? You mocked me for thinking Parsons was a good enough player to warrant using cap space on, you pointed to his PER as evidence he wouldn't bring enough, yet now you're saying the exact opposite about a guy whose PER is much lower.

The guy is 31, he's not worth 8 million per year now, and he won't be worth anywhere near 8 million 3-4 years from now. I find it hard to believe we'll be able to trade the guy at that point unless we attach a pick or other assets.

You've been the biggest Gordon supporter on this forum, and now you're claiming you want him coming off the bench his first two years? What are you talking about man? If Gordon needs to come off the bench his first two years he wasn't worth the 4th overall pick.

I use analytics, PER is one. Go look at the analytics on what Frye did for PHO last year. Go read about about what Dragic's production looked like with Frye on the floor as opposed to not being there.

Did not know I was the "biggest" Gordon supporter, but once again, think about what you are saying. He is 18 years old. The youngest player in the draft. If he does not start off that bat, I don't consider that a bad thing. I don't think anyone would besides the few that are extremely negative and always looking to complain. He needs to put on weight and develop his game like all young players do.

Once again this entire draft is about potential. Embiid may not play for an entire year. Is he worth pick 3? Would you whine about that too?

Finally you can't get let go of Parsons for some sick reason. He is going to get over 8mm a year, so the Magic were not going to compete. Furthermore, the Rockets are not even in play for Melo like you were insinuating all last week, so they can pay him at least 10 a year long term. Are you going to let go of that dream yet?

Frye is the type of player Hennigan wants on this team. Character guy, on and off the court. He will spread the floor and make things easier for our PG's.

Did we "over pay"? Sure. But you have to consider our position as well. We aren't a contender, and we aren't going to be in the immediate future. If you were Frye, all things being equal, would you rather go to Orlando or a contender? So, we have to sweeten the pot to coax him here to the Magic.

His contract is not anywhere near the level of the Lewis contract.

This. Contenders were offering $6M/yr - we gave him $8M to play for a losing team.

/thread

• Upvote 1

This. Contenders were offering $6M/yr - we gave him $8M to play for a losing team.

/thread

The warriors apparently knew it would take more than the MLE (5. 75 mil a year) to get him according to Zach Lowe meaning his market was probably 6.5-7 million. Meaning we may not even have over paid that much.

His contract will come off the books at the same time Payton and Gordon's rookie deals will be up. Look at it as a future cap hold for a mentor who has a skill we need.

Another thing to consider is the fact he will not be looking to take major minutes from rookies. He wants 20-25 minutes per game as a key role player in the big man rotation. The Suns overplayed him last year and it showed by the end of the season...might be one of the reasons he left.

I don't care so much about overpaying as I do about the fact that long term this provides nothing. Part of the reason we let AA go was because by the time we became contenders he was going to be on the downside of his prime years, or maybe past them. He's three years younger than Frye. Offering a little bit more to lure a guy away from opposing teams is great if you're an established team needing immediate veteran help or the player is young enough to be a part of your future. We aren't that team and Frye isn't that player.

Part of the reason we let AA go was the fact that had a player ready to take over those minutes but AA is not ready for a backup role. By the time we became contenders he would have been long gone anyway, or re-signed to a new contract. Maybe he'd be ready for a back up role by then, maybe not, but he certainly isn't at this point, and we're better off letting Dipo get more minutes and shoulder the burden that AA carried for us in the past.

In Frye, we get a player who can mentor some of the new guys, and let his minutes shift behind them when they are ready, while still providing productive minutes. He's a leader on and off the court. Spacing the floor on the offensive side of things will certainly help make things easier for Payton as he finds his way in the PG role for us as well.

He provides a positive impact in many ways, and as Bhnole pointed out, his contract is up the same time the new rookies are ready to get paid as well, so it's a non-issue cap wise as well.

Part of the reason we let AA go was the fact that had a player ready to take over those minutes but AA is not ready for a backup role. By the time we became contenders he would have been long gone anyway, or re-signed to a new contract. Maybe he'd be ready for a back up role by then, maybe not, but he certainly isn't at this point, and we're better off letting Dipo get more minutes and shoulder the burden that AA carried for us in the past.

In Frye, we get a player who can mentor some of the new guys, and let his minutes shift behind them when they are ready, while still providing productive minutes. He's a leader on and off the court. Spacing the floor on the offensive side of things will certainly help make things easier for Payton as he finds his way in the PG role for us as well.

He provides a positive impact in many ways, and as Bhnole pointed out, his contract is up the same time the new rookies are ready to get paid as well, so it's a non-issue cap wise as well.

I don't see how so many people are having an issue grasping those concepts. I'm glad at least a few of you are.

Embiid is injured, are you really trying to compare a guy not playing because of injury with a guy not playing because he's not ready? Sometimes you say things that are just asinine, that's just the truth.

I wasn't insinuating Melo was in play for the Rockets, EVERYONE was. I'm fully aware that we won't be signing Parsons, but that has nothing to do with what my post was about. With Parsons you went straight to his PER, with Frye you intentionally ignored it. I find that ridiculous. If PER is important, it's important. It's not important sometimes, it's important always. Frye has a very crappy PER, he's not worth his contract, he's not a long term answer. What he does for PG play is irrelevant since he's not going to be here in the long term. What's more important is what Gordon does for our PG play, since he's, you know, our future.

Would I rather have Gordon/Frye for 12.5 million, or Parsons for 12.5. That's not something I even need to think about. You seemed to be focused on the future in your previous posts, with the Frye signing you are clearly now focusing on the short term. Otis would be proud.

You are saying a lot of things that are just horribly wrong.

Bottom paragraph - horribly wrong. You are not getting Parsons for 12.5 for one year are you? No. Since Gordon can get opted out in one year, you comparison is terrible and not even applicable to any argument.

Above - PER. I used PER to compare SFs because these are guys you are looking at for production in terms of scoring. It is harder to measure a stretch 4 by those numbers, which is why you would probably want to look at things like advanced analytics to see a teams plus minus with him on the floor. Last time I checked, PER does not do a stretch 4 justice when their main role is to spread the floor and therefore enable the players around them more scoring opportunities. So while you are clinging to the fact that I used PER, you are right. I DID use PER to compare two SFs who can be measured by that statistic more accurately. A stretch 4 spreads the floor a lot more than any SF, which is why they are so valued on the market. To put it in simple terms before you try and say that Parsons also stretches the floor (which he does), a stretch 4 pulls a shot blocking big out of the paint - this is something no SF can do. Hopefully this makes sense to you.

Sometimes I am just asinine. Ok, there is your whiny personal attack which does not address the point I made. The point is that all the top players in the draft are potential picks and may not start or even play right off the bat (Embiid). So your attempt at saying Aaron Gordon was a bad pick at 4 (when he would have gone at 5 if we didn't take him) because he may not start immediately is ignorant of the process and current NBA landscape.

I don't care so much about overpaying as I do about the fact that long term this provides nothing. Part of the reason we let AA go was because by the time we became contenders he was going to be on the downside of his prime years, or maybe past them. He's three years younger than Frye. Offering a little bit more to lure a guy away from opposing teams is great if you're an established team needing immediate veteran help or the player is young enough to be a part of your future. We aren't that team and Frye isn't that player.

We let Afflalo go because this is Oladipos team now. It has nothing to do with him being in the downside of his prime, and there is zero evidence that what you said is true.

So what you are saying in bold - only established teams need immediate veteran help? Are we reading this correctly? Because last time I checked the Magic are one of the youngest teams in the NBA and most people would think they could probably use some as well.

When that veteran happens to be a big that can stroke 3s and statistically improve the efficiency of your PG by a substantial %, that makes a lot more sense than having a log jam at SG and PG.

What about Harkless and Fournier, they are due for extensions one year after Harris and Vuc. I just don't agree that adding Frye is a "non-issue cap wise". We have several big contracts coming up within the time frame that Frye's contract will be on the books.

Funny you bring up Harkless and Harris - 2 SFs that you clearly would like to see kept here by this statement.

How would that be possible by going after Chandler and offering him 12mm to pry him out of HOU? I guess we can agree it will not.

I am glad that argument is finally over.