Sign in to follow this  
the notorious S.A.C.

Does Henny know what he is doing poll?

71 members have voted

1. 1. Does Henny know what he is doing?

• Yes...he has a plan and is sticking to it. We will be fine
    • I'm not sure after the draft and questionable trades...Ill give him one more year.
    • No, he has not made good decisions and the team could be managed better by someone else. Its time to move on, I've seen enough.
    • He is Otis Smith 2.0...GET HIM OUT NOW! Ive had enough

I called Otis' roster garbage years ago. He collected every garbage contract in the league. Henny needed to use essentially one of the top 3 in the league to get rid of a small amount of Otis trash. Gilbert became the zillion dollar oops that Devos stroked a check for. Baby and others we still pay for so despite getting rid of them it was no great move...just money. Now we have a missed Exum, trading a first for two slots up, Ben Gordon and now the near Otis move of Frye at 31 years old eating a great portion of what Henny vaporized the team for...cap space. I can understand modeling our lineup after the Spurs but unless Pop or Duncan show up here we arent the Spurs. The Spurs NEEDED to scout late round talent for value because they never got a shot high in the draft. The Magic on the other hand are collecting late first talent by the buckets. Ive got the feeling we are starting to head in the wrong direction again. All I know is a 25 win season wont fill the arena. Frye was a bonehead move. Period. Everyone can try to rationalize it but in the end you just dont give a 31 year old average player a four year deal. Sorry.

This post is filled with preposterous statements. Missed Exum? How in the world can you possibly know Exum will be better than Gordon? Is this the same type of rational that you once used to argue Oden would be better than Dwight? Seriously. And then you insinuate Oladipo, Gordon and Payton are late first round talent. What? This when the ESPN article by Wallace yesterday stated they could be the steals and studs of the draft. And then you make the comment about four year contracts to 31 year olds. I guess the three year contract the Spurs gave to a 32 year old Diaw is horrible, too. Man alive.

Let's face it also. Frye's game is not predicated on speed or athleticism. He sets a pick, he pops to the three point line and he shoots 3's. If the defense switches a guard onto him he backs them down and finishes. That's literally his game. I can't even imagine how, if he remains healthy, he won't be able to do that 4 years from now.

You might wanna change your vote after you listen to Zach Lowe and Bill Simmons talk about Henny's moves....Was trying to find where Eskobar found it and finally did....Here's the link:

http://espn.go.com/nba/

Go down on the front page until you find media....Click Podcasts and it'll say the B.S. Report....Zach and Bill start talking about Henny and the Magic at exactly the 27th minute mark...They actually talk about the team for about 5 minutes.

And remember as your listening that the powers that be on this Forum think Zach Lowe is the best writer on the planet.

You might wanna change your vote after you listen to Zach Lowe and Bill Simmons talk about Henny's moves....Was trying to find where Eskobar found it and finally did....Here's the link:

http://espn.go.com/nba/

Go down on the front page until you find media....Click Podcasts and it'll say the B.S. Report....Zach and Bill start talking about Henny and the Magic at exactly the 27th minute mark...They actually talk about the team for about 5 minutes.

And remember as your listening that the powers that be on this Forum think Zach Lowe is the best writer on the planet.

I would also rather see how it plays out rather than judging it by what is written in a column before the season starts, I'm funny that way. But thank you for posting that Skip.

Can anyone look up some articles about Phoenix before last season started? I won't have a chance to anytime soon, but I distinctly remember them being written off as likely to be one of the worst teams in the league. Hoping we have a season like they did last year.

Transcription of the podcast, the portion about us at least. That actually didn't take as long as I thought it would.

Zach - The flip side would be from Orlando's perspective, maybe his shooting makes it a little easier for all the young guards that they have like Oladipo and Payton and everyone else. In other words, you're running these pick and rolls with Big Baby, Kyle O'Quinn, Andrew Nicholson, and Jason Maxiell, and guys that have to set screens and roll 15 feet from the basket and no one cares about them shooting 15 footers.

Maybe it gets a little easier for the young guys if they have some room to breathe.

That's what I see… Frye opens up the lane for others to drive … and develop as players. Gives them breathing room, if you will. He can play PF and C. I personally believe we overpaid for the guy but I completely understand why we did it. As I've posted before, he's a poor man's Bosh. Do I love the move, no. Do I hate it, no. I want to see this team in action over the course of this year.

I don't see how the new Zach Lowe article makes Henny look any better.....

Charlotte’s play marks an interesting contrast to Orlando, which has used its cap space on Channing Frye and a preposterous contract for banished Hornet Ben Gordon. Those two will earn about $12 million combined next season, less than Hayward, and the Hornets may come up empty here anyway. But I’d rather see a rebuilding team go hard at another young pseudo-star — Hayward, Eric Bledsoe, Chandler Parsons, Greg Monroe — than tie up cap space on middling veterans.

The Magic have clearly decided to punt restricted free agency for now, concluding correctly that it would result in them paying a “B” player “A” money. And they’re still slated to have about $14 million in cap space to play with after July 10, with plenty of future flexibility. They could have used all of that room to help the Cavs clear LeBron-level cap space, as Boston just did in nabbing two useful assets — a first-round pick and Tyler Zeller — as the price for swallowing Marcus Thornton’s expiring contract.

The Cavs reached out to the Magic and just about every other team with the requisite room, but Boston used its leftover trade exception to pounce first. Wringing Zeller and a protected Cleveland first-rounder is a nice touch; Zeller found his footing last season as a useful bench big, and picks are always handy when you’re trying to get Flip Saunders to answer his damn phone.

Perhaps Orlando didn’t want Thornton’s deal, which would have left it with only about $6 million in cap room going into the season. That would have limited its ability to work as a dumping ground in exchange for assets, but that’s exactly what Boston just did. Maybe the Magic think a better opportunity is coming down the road. Orlando and other teams also had to at least think about the roster consequenses of taking on three players.

Chasing one of those restricted free agents would have tied up Orlando’s cap space as other targets signed, but if your targets are Frye and Gordon, there’s not much damage. You can see what the Magic are doing — Frye and Gordon are shooters, and the Magic need shooting. Frye is a killer pick-and-pop guy with a lightning-fast release. Defenders in the pick-and-roll are scared to help off him, which opens driving lanes for ball handlers. Goran Dragic raved about how clear the floor was when working with Frye, and Orlando’s collection of slashers, starting with Victor Oladipo, will feel that breathing space after working with a bunch of nonthreatening shooters.

Bledsoe would have been an interesting target for them, but he has some skill overlap with Oladipo, and the Magic probably have other point guard targets over the next summer or two. They also have to weigh an extension for Nikola Vucevic, which means playing the same poker game Utah played with Hayward a year ago.

Vucevic is a decent two-way player and a voracious rebounder, and 6-foot-10 guys who fit that description generally get eight figures. But Vucevic was a low enough draft pick that his cap hold would be only $6.75 million next summer if he remains a free agent, meaning the Magic could preserve at least $3 million or $4 million in cap room for July 2015 by declining to offer him an extension now. Is that worth the risk of having to overpay him in restricted free agency, as Utah is going to have to do with Hayward?

And for the record....please spare me the Kevin Durant is coming to Orlando talk....

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/gordon-hayward-free-agency-and-the-nbas-middle-class/

I don't see how the new Zach Lowe article makes Henny look any better.....

And for the record....please spare me the Kevin Durant is coming to Orlando talk....

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/gordon-hayward-free-agency-and-the-nbas-middle-class/

He gives a very balanced assessment of the deal and seems to be withholding judgment until he sees the product on the floor. He makes points on both sides of the argument and articulates them well.

KD has nothing to so with this conversation, so I don't know why anyone would bother to bring him up.

He gives a very balanced assessment of the deal and seems to be withholding judgment until he sees the product on the floor. He makes points on both sides of the argument and articulates them well.

KD has nothing to so with this conversation, so I don't know why anyone would bother to bring him up.

He said the Magic may think there is something better down the road...I've seen people posting Durant.....please.....

He said the Magic may think there is something better down the road...I've seen people posting Durant.....please.....

Rebuilding plans that get young GMs hired don't include "Kevin Durant will be a free agent in three years" as one of the steps. It's about building atmosphere and developing team-centered basketball.

Yes, there may be another free agent they have their eyes on. Yes, they may have their eyes on KD. But the plan cannot be "we will sign Kevin Durant" because that's a highly unlikely scenario to hedge all of your bets on as a team.

There's a plan in the works right now, and if KD happens to be willing to sign with ORL, they will probably do everything they can to make that happen. But it would be a bad idea to have "wait for KD to hit free agency" as plan A. Something else has to be going on behind the scenes.