CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

Magic fans have already been discussing the Olidipo/Noel debate here....With, I think a majority choosing Noel (see comments below article)....I'm going to post this guys comments because I really like the way he expressed it;

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2014/7/5/5873823/should-hennigan-have-drafted-noel-last-year

The people that were against drafting Noel for the most part said that because he was injured....Right now he isn't.

How much time has Noel had to work on his game vs NBA level players and under the direction of NBA coaches vs Gordon?

• Upvote 1

Not trying to rub anything in your face....Trying to show Henny isn't the God-like figure most people here think he is....Sorry if that's offensive to you.

Here's the thing, I like when you post your opinion about Magic players and topics. However, if you begin systematically posting non-Magic related stuff in an anti-Henny campaign, how is that not a "deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion?"

I think our problem was that we thought Gordon + Payton was greater than Exum + anything else at pick 12.

Additionally, it is true we could have had an amazing back-court of Exum and Oladipo, but our defensive line would have been extremely weak interiorly with Vuc manning the middle. Instead, we opted for Oladipo and Payton (whom additionally was touted as being able to get into the lane "whenever he wanted," like Exum) and we got a guy who in AG who will ultimately become a defensive anchor in this league at either F spot, citing his work ethic, athleticism, and clear ability to probably gain another 20-30 lbs of muscle if he hits the weight room with that frame.

I'm not saying that we might not kick ourselves later on down the road (as I do think Exum will be an All-Star), it's just that I think Payton will become a better overall two-way team player (i.e. defense and passing will be better, with scoring slightly lower than Exum)... two-way players lead to championships.

We all want that star, but what we ultimately should want instead is a championship. I think we get that better with Payton + AG rather than Exum + ______.

Exactly. If you believe that Payton is a star PG and you can get him and a good project it's smart to get both rather than one good player and lesser project at 12.

That is fine but you are conveniently omitting things along the way. I would also add that if by saying God like you mean predicting the future then yes, he is not God like. He doors however make good sound decisions that are based on doing his homework vs shooting from the hip and flipping out over you tube videos and public opinion. I would take that any day.

I think what's gonna kill Henny is based on our current roster we are gonna suck for the 3rd year in a row...probably in the lottery again (which isn't a bad thing with all the great bigs in next years draft)....Anybody that lives in Florida knows how fickle fans here are...If you aren't winning nobody cares...I've seen Magic forums around the internet voicing repeatedly how they are not re-newing season tickets because of this.

How long can the Magic organization sustain like that ????....At some point the wins gotta come.

I thought my God-like statement was clear but I meant that based on the poll it seems this forum thinks he is for the most part mistake-free (like a God, Hercules, maybe j/k ?)

Not sure why you believe anyone thinks he's a God- like figure or why you think one summer league performance is going to have any impact on people's perception? It will probably be 2-3 years before anyone can definitely state Hennigan whiffed or hit home-runs in this draft, so to constantly do this is premature and somewhat childish. There's a certain nanee-nanee, boo-boo'ness about it that doesn't offend but, instead, irritates me.

You don't things here irritate me ???....This is a public forum...You just gotta roll with it.

Also, Soul Bro, I thought Payton generated some nice stats as the week progressed but you left out that he had 20 turnovers to finish with and average of 7 assists per game to go along with 4 turnovers per game.

His worst turnover game(7) being when he was matched up against Marcus Smart(a great defensive player)....Although they weren't guarding each other the entire time.

Let's look at Payton's Last two games. It's true that he had 8 turnovers in the game against Boston (8 points, 10 assists, 9 rebounds), but if we go to the Detroit game, he had 18 points, 8 assists, 4 rebounds, 4 steals on only 2 turnovers.

I believe as he settles down, he'll make less and less mistakes as time passes. I'm really not worried about turnovers at this point in his career.

Additionally, if you're worried about him not being able to handle good defenders, I have NO DOUBT Oladipo and Payton will be pitted against each other in practice scrimmages. He'll get plenty of opportunity to practice against great defense and get better because of it (like Gortat went from a 2nd round pick to a beast because he was playing against D12 every practice).

I think our problem was that we thought Gordon + Payton was greater than Exum + anything else at pick 12.

Additionally, it is true we could have had an amazing back-court of Exum and Oladipo, but our defensive line would have been extremely weak interiorly with Vuc manning the middle. Instead, we opted for Oladipo and Payton (whom additionally was touted as being able to get into the lane "whenever he wanted," like Exum) and we got a guy who in AG who will ultimately become a defensive anchor in this league at either F spot, citing his work ethic, athleticism, and clear ability to probably gain another 20-30 lbs of muscle if he hits the weight room with that frame.

I'm not saying that we might not kick ourselves later on down the road (as I do think Exum will be an All-Star), it's just that I think Payton will become a better overall two-way team player (i.e. defense and passing will be better, with scoring slightly lower than Exum)... two-way players lead to championships.

We all want that star, but what we ultimately should want instead is a championship. I think we get that better with Payton + AG rather than Exum + ______.

Nice points....But could you imagine if we took Noel last year and took Exum with the 4th this year....OMG !!!

I think what's gonna kill Henny is based on our current roster we are gonna suck for the 3rd year in a row...probably in the lottery again (which isn't a bad thing with all the great bigs in next years draft)....Anybody that lives in Florida knows how fickle fans here are...If you aren't winning nobody cares...I've seen Magic forums around the internet voicing repeatedly how they are not re-newing season tickets because of this.

How long can the Magic organization sustain like that ????....At some point the wins gotta come.

I thought my God-like statement was clear but I meant that based on the poll it seems this forum thinks he is for the most part mistake-free (like a God, Hercules, maybe j/k ?)

And those same fair weathered fans will be right back the moment we start winning. The franchise has made it past rebuilds and mediocre teams that were far more un-watchable than what we have been our will be. What is more important? Getting them back now or building for a decade of teams in contention?

How much time has Noel had to work on his game vs NBA level players and under the direction of NBA coaches vs Gordon?

Precisely.

Noel had to opportunity to sit, watch, and learn for a full season. He was extremely raw last year, and now he's easily in the mix for potiential ROY. Noel I don't believe would have been near as good in last year's summer league as he was this year had it not been for the year of learning and development. So, for those wanting Gordon to be an instant stud, be patient. Time does wonders to a young basketball player willing to learn and work hard.

Nice points....But could you imagine if we took Noel last year and took Exum with the 4th this year....OMG !!!

Do you know that Exum will be better than Payton and Gordon? Do you know that Noel will have more of an impact than Victor?

I agree

Then we wouldn't have Oladipo and while Noel would be there to cover up mistakes, team defense would be in dire need of help. This is all pure speculations ("What if we had gotten the first pick this year??").

In the end, I would still rather have Gordon, Oladipo, and Payton than Exum, Noel, + _______. Why? Because of why EVERYONE was scarred off by him last year: Big Men with knee problems. Something inside of me fully expects for him to have an injury-plagued career. If it were that simple, why would so many teams pass on him if he was the clear #1 pick? Exactly.

• Upvote 1