CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

ESPN Grades for Dante Exum and Elfrid Payton after they completed their 1st games in professional summer league...

Dante Exum, Utah Jazz | Grade: A-

Hype machine, activate! Comparisons to a young Kobe Bryant, Penny Hardaway and Brandon Roy were flying around after Exum’s first game, and his displays of smooth athleticism and skill were often breathtaking. Although there were better overall performances elsewhere, no one flashed more star potential than Exum did. With his vision and first step, he has lead guard written all over him.

http://espn.go.com/b...ue-day-2-grades

Elfrid Payton, Magic

The learning curve from Louisiana-Lafayette might be a little stiff for Payton, if first impressions are to be believed. Payton struggled in his debut; he turned the ball over four times in 17 minutes and scored just two points on 1-for-4 shooting. He showed plenty of athleticism, however, and dished out a game-high five assists. But he struggled at times to bring the ball up the floor against smaller guards such as Philadelphia’s 5-foot-10 Casper Ware, and Payton never looked particularly comfortable running a half-court offense. Like Napier, we might see an upswing in production from Payton as the week goes on and Orlando’s offense begins to gel.

http://espn.go.com/b...-day-1-notables

Also, Soul Bro, I thought Payton generated some nice stats as the week progressed but you left out that he had 20 turnovers to finish with and average of 7 assists per game to go along with 4 turnovers per game.

His worst turnover game(7) being when he was matched up against Marcus Smart(a great defensive player)....Although they weren't guarding each other the entire time.

http://www.nba.com/s..._elfrid_payton/

Spin Masters.......IGNITE !!!!!

No spin needed! Even with 4 TOs per game, Payton was an absolute stud in SL. gold_cup.gif (As 5th Rebuild noted, this might not mean anything!).

As to Exum, you were anti-Exum throughout the entire draft process, often mocking him on this board… Saying he had no real experience, and mocking the different Exum comparisons. Don't try and prop him up when he looks good, as if you called it!

Given that you wanted Randle at 4, the true comp you need to be making over the next few years is Randle to Gordon. That was your position Junkie! Everything else is mushy peas, as they say in England. smile.gif

• Upvote 1

No spin needed! Even with 4 TOs per game, Payton was an absolute stud in SL. gold_cup.gif

As to Exum, you were anti-Exum throughout the entire draft process, often mocking him on this board… Saying he had no real experience, and mocking the different Exum comparisons. Don't try and prop him up when he looks good, as if you you called it!

Given that you wanted Randle at 4, the true comp you needed to be making over the next few years is Randle to Gordon. That was your position Junkie! Everything else is much peas, as they say in England. :)/>

You are correct about my stance on Exum....To much unknown, imo......I am pumping up Exum now to show what has the possibility of being another Henny mistake....Sure I wanted Randle...But as the weeks before the draft passed I could see he wasn't in the Magic's plans so I dropped the ball.

GO MAGIC !!

You are correct about my stance on Exum....To much unknown, imo......I am pumping up Exum now to show what has the possibility of being another Henny mistake....Sure I wanted Randle...But as the weeks before the draft passed I could see he wasn't in the Magic's plans so I dropped the ball.

GO MAGIC !!

So basically if anyone that was available when we selected has a nice game you'll be here to try and rub it in our eyes. That's the plan correct?

• Upvote 1

GO MAGIC !!

I hear you. In my opinion, Henny's biggest (yet small) miss to date has been the Professor. Nicholson has a polished offensive game down low … but is undersized … and has the slowest lateral movement in the history of the human race. The interesting (and hopefully good) news is Gordon is 6 years younger and the exact opposite. Dude is lightning fast and athletic and a great defender … just lacking an offensive game right now. I'm hopeful he not only develops but becomes a stud. Furthermore, I hope he grows a tad more and fills out…

Soul Bro at 18 years old: 6'3'' and 165 pounds

Soul Bro at 22 years old: 6'5'' and 220 pounds

The point is I'm really interested in seeing what happens with Gordon.

So basically if anyone that was available when we selected has a nice game you'll be here to try and rub it in our eyes. That's the plan correct?

Not trying to rub anything in your face....Trying to show Henny isn't the God-like figure most people here think he is....Sorry if that's offensive to you.

Not trying to rub anything in your face....Trying to show Henny isn't the God-like figure most people here think he is....Sorry if that's offensive to you.

Ok. Full stop:

WHO said Henny was a God-like figure? Right now, I want you to answer that question.

I hear you. In my opinion, Henny's biggest (yet small) miss to date has been the Professor. Nicholson has a polished offensive game down low … but is undersized … and has the slowest lateral movement in the history of the human race. The interesting (and hopefully good) news is Gordon is 6 years younger and the exact opposite. Dude is lightning fast and athletic and a great defender … just lacking an offensive game right now. I'm hopeful he not only develops but becomes a stud. Furthermore, I hope he grows a tad more and fills out…

Soul Bro at 18 years old: 6'3'' and 165 pounds

Soul Bro at 22 years old: 6'5'' and 220 pounds

The point is I'm really interested in seeing what happens with Gordon.

LOL about your comments about the professor....agree....My stance on Gordon and I'll repeat is, he'll be an excellent role player but will never develop his offensive game to the level that Magic organization wants or needs.

That is fine but you are conveniently omitting things along the way. I would also add that if by saying God like you mean predicting the future then yes, he is not God like. He does however make good sound decisions that are based on doing his homework vs shooting from the hip and flipping out over you tube videos and public opinion. I would take that any day.

Not sure why you believe anyone thinks he's a God- like figure or why you think one summer league performance is going to have any impact on people's perception? It will probably be 2-3 years before anyone can definitely state Hennigan whiffed or hit home-runs in this draft, so to constantly do this is premature and somewhat childish. There's a certain nanee-nanee, boo-boo'ness about it that doesn't offend but, instead, irritates me.

ESPN Grades for Dante Exum and Elfrid Payton after they completed their 1st games in professional summer league...

Dante Exum, Utah Jazz | Grade: A-

Hype machine, activate! Comparisons to a young Kobe Bryant, Penny Hardaway and Brandon Roy were flying around after Exum’s first game, and his displays of smooth athleticism and skill were often breathtaking. Although there were better overall performances elsewhere, no one flashed more star potential than Exum did. With his vision and first step, he has lead guard written all over him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/69678/las-vegas-summer-league-day-2-grades

Elfrid Payton, Magic

The learning curve from Louisiana-Lafayette might be a little stiff for Payton, if first impressions are to be believed. Payton struggled in his debut; he turned the ball over four times in 17 minutes and scored just two points on 1-for-4 shooting. He showed plenty of athleticism, however, and dished out a game-high five assists. But he struggled at times to bring the ball up the floor against smaller guards such as Philadelphia’s 5-foot-10 Casper Ware, and Payton never looked particularly comfortable running a half-court offense. Like Napier, we might see an upswing in production from Payton as the week goes on and Orlando’s offense begins to gel.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/69402/orlando-summer-league-day-1-notables

Also, Soul Bro, I thought Payton generated some nice stats as the week progressed but you left out that he had 20 turnovers to finish with and average of 7 assists per game to go along with 4 turnovers per game.

His worst turnover game(7) being when he was matched up against Marcus Smart(a great defensive player)....Although they weren't guarding each other the entire time.

http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2014/players/sl_elfrid_payton/

Spin Masters.......IGNITE !!!!!

What did they have to say as the week went on? What do you have to say about what 5th rebuild posted?

I think our problem was that we thought Gordon + Payton was greater than Exum + anything else at pick 12.

Additionally, it is true we could have had an amazing back-court of Exum and Oladipo, but our defensive line would have been extremely weak interiorly with Vuc manning the middle. Instead, we opted for Oladipo and Payton (whom additionally was touted as being able to get into the lane "whenever he wanted," like Exum) and we got a guy who in AG who will ultimately become a defensive anchor in this league at either F spot, citing his work ethic, athleticism, and clear ability to probably gain another 20-30 lbs of muscle if he hits the weight room with that frame.

I'm not saying that we might not kick ourselves later on down the road (as I do think Exum will be an All-Star), it's just that I think Payton will become a better overall two-way team player (i.e. defense and passing will be better, with scoring slightly lower than Exum)... two-way players lead to championships.

We all want that star, but what we ultimately should want instead is a championship. I think we get that better with Payton + AG rather than Exum + ______.