CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

As for Gordon, he is not going to come out and stroke 3s, but it is something he looks like he can develop over time.

Summer league does not develop players. Its real raw. Once Gordon gets into camp he will start working one on one with coaches and develop his role as a player.

They will move him around a lot more in regular season. Right now he just stands behind the arc if he is off the ball. I think he will be moving and getting midrange looks and open lanes on drives. Now and then he will take a 3, but his game will be about finishing and speed for a while.

IMO thats ok. He is so young that you just have to let him grow as a player and get size in the weight room. Once he gets that size I think we will see him at 4. We know he can defend 1-4. That in itself makes a team running Pick and Rolls really have to execute flawlessly because he can switch to any position and shut down the roll or ball handler.

or you have to fully commit to up tempo offense, there is no way he can play NBA level 3 on offense right now i hope he learns to master pick and roll

Again, do we have the shooting or the ball handling at this stage to run an up-tempo pace effectively? Probably not.

For me it's how patient he is in the lane. A lot of young guards go 100 mph at the basket or force shots. He probes and looks comfortable.

Absolutely. He looks extremely comfortable with the ball and it's a very good thing to see.

I agree. He's played with above average defense, leads the summer league in assists, is a good rebounder, and an efficient (if not high volume) shooter. Smart definitely has a scorer mentality, but he's been inefficient through four games, shooting below 30%. He's probably the better defender of the two, but it's not a huge discrepancy.

Just as Payton will improve Smart will get more efficient. I believe they will both develop into outstanding players.

Payton needs some time before he takes over, but lets see him get 40 or so games under his belt and I think we will see a rather refined player for his age and experience.

I think about Payton in 2 years and get really excited. Thats scary. I like his ceiling more than Smarts. We just saw what Smart is going to be. Nothing wrong with it at all, but Payton looks like he is going to become a true creator of offense.

The thing that really got me was how well Payton ran the Pick and roll. Its just nasty to be that good at it so soon.

Wait till we see him with Vuc, O'Quinn, and Frye. Lots of potential there.

Im really glad we picked Payton to be our PG of the future the more I see of him. This is going to be a lot better than going for Smart.

Obviously we have not seen Exum yet. But I will be surprised if Exum is much better at creating offense than Payton, I really will. Especially since many see him switching to SG.

I look at it like we got the best pure PG in the draft and a complete athletic freak in gordon who is showing some serious potential to be a star if we give him some patience.

Payton almost had a quadruple double counting the 7 turnovers...Here's the link for people that didn't see the game which I didn't.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/media/2.0/teamsites/magic/GAME19BoxScore.pdf

Have you watched one of the games or are you doing the amateur mistake of looking at the stat box of a summer league game to make your assessment of our young players?

No wonder you are so clueless about this team.

Have you watched one of the games or are you doing the amateur mistake of looking at the stat box of a summer league game to make your assessment of our young players?

No wonder you are so clueless about this team.

No, I've been watching most of them...Only today just bits and pieces...I agree Payton has played better....All things considered that assist/turnover rate is not good...But overall he is playing better....agreed.

Can't wait to see what Exum looks like !

No, I've been watching most of them...Only today just bits and pieces...I agree Payton has played better....All things considered that assist/turnover rate is not good...But overall he is playing better....agreed.

Can't wait to see what Exum looks like !

Lol, wanted no part of Exum, couldn't bad mouth him enough...until Rob picked someone else.

Lol, wanted no part of Exum, couldn't bad mouth him enough...until Rob picked someone else.

True....After watching Gordon play summer league you don't question that pick now ???

• Upvote 2

True....After watching Gordon play summer league you don't question that pick now ???

After watching Gordon play I see a project with a good chance to succeed and I see that we didn't reach for a PG because we had a plan to get the one we wanted with a later pick. We came away with what we wanted and picked up a good project to go with him.

I mentioned it in the other thread but I don't bet against guys that fight hard and take competition personally. That much I can see from him even with the missed jumpers. The guy picks up speed extremely quick and moves laterally just as fast. I've seen worse jumpers than his that go in at a decent percentage after guys put in a lot of practice, I would be surprised if that didn't improve. The guys that truly scare me are the Michael Beasley's of the world, tons of talent, don't really care about anything. Gordon cares about winning and helping his team.