CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

miami and san antonio finished 1st and 2nd in TS%, last year 1st and 3rd

the best defensive team in the league almost lost to an injury plagued hawks team that was below .500

the 2nd best defensive team in the league got destroyed by the heat

You still missed the point completely. These teams are loaded with Vets and stars who were developed over time in SA and bought by Miami. It is no surprise that their true shooting is so high. But look at LBJ and Wade as rookies and tell me that would be the case. You can't. You develop young guys with defensive talent ball IQ and athleticism and the shooting comes. That is the trend. There is not a plethora of guy with the defensive abilities of Payton and Gordon in the draft. That's just ignorance.

It's not like having a good defense precludes you from having a good offense. The Spurs were top 4 in both their eFG% and their eFG% allowed. They were elite on both offense AND defense.

Yes - this.

Also I want to point out I don't think Gordon will become a good ft shooter, just not a "we can't have him on the court at the end of games" ft shooter. I expect he should be able to get around 65%.

Also I want to point out I don't think Gordon will become a good ft shooter, just not a "we can't have him on the court at the end of games" ft shooter. I expect he should be able to get around 65%.

It would be unprecedented for him to do this....See Gordon at "3" thread.

Gentlemen - we can talk all we want about potentials and comparisons, but in the end - we have him and can only hope for the ceiling expecting the basement or somewhere in between.

I'm most excited for the culture of the young men coming onto this team. Hard-working, blue-collar, freakishly athletic players. As was pointed out above, you cannot teach work-ethic, athleticism, and a will to work on defense. Some players truly are going to always be terrible shooters (see B. Wallace, D12, Shaq, etc), but as pointed out, many players who were terrible FT shooters eventually developed steady games (K. Leonard, K. Malone, B. Griffin, etc).

If AG only gets to 60% as a FT shooter, I'll be happy, but IMO I just don't see him being that bad with time and practice. He's going to be a great player for the team either way.

It would be unprecedented for him to do this....See Gordon at "3" thread.

The problem with that is they only use nba numbers. If Gordon shoots something like 58% his rookie year he wouldn't even show up on that data sheet.

Also Baron Davis shot 63% in college and improved to 82% by the end of his career.

The problem with that is they only use nba numbers. If Gordon shoots something like 58% his rookie year he wouldn't even show up on that data sheet.

Also Baron Davis shot 63% in college and improved to 82% by the end of his career.

Theres many players who improved FT % during their NBA careers up to 20-30%. This doesnt even include jumps they made coming into NBA.

http://weaksideawareness.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/nba-players-with-mid-career-improvement-in-ft/

Does anyone know why Miami and Philadelphia get to play in both Summer leagues? Is this something our team could do if we wanted to?

Does anyone know why Miami and Philadelphia get to play in both Summer leagues? Is this something our team could do if we wanted to?

I was wondering the same thing; I wish Orlando would get in on the Las Vegas league. It would give us more game time experience and plus I'd be a 45 minute flight away from being able to watch them in person.

I'm pretty sure it's optional at the discretion of each team to participate in the official NBA summer league (Vegas) or the Orlando League which is hosted and run by the Magic (with both or none also being options).

Another thing about Gordon's FT issue is his problem is a little more unique. He uses a different FT motion at the line. He is working now on using a uniform shooting motion.

These FT% stats do not take any intangibles into account. They basically say "Dwight Howard, Shaq..etc Can't shoot and their FT% is terrible. As a result X player will fail as well".

This is my problem with just looking at stats and nothing else. You never get the entire story.