CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

Gordon, at the age of 18, has probably the most defensive awareness of anybody in this draft, at Arizona he was almost always in the right spot on defense in terms of rotating and helping. He is in no way a bad off the ball defender. Steals =/= defense.

I saw a few of his games in college and watched his scouting tape. He played good team concept defense. I am more talking about impact defense. I dont want jj defense at the 4th pick in this vital draft. I want shawn marion, josh smith or ak47. I would like defections and weak side shot blocking from aaron. Seeing him not even try to rotate for a block or him missing box outs are things he can correct. He is 18, so the sky is not falling. I am not in panic mode. I am more so stating my first impressions.

You dont have to agree. This is my prefence and my hopes with the 4th pick. Even young noah, who was 0 for 1000 shooting in his first game, got 3 blocks and a steal.

Not having any stats does not mean your playing well defensively. It can also mean your not active or aware. There is a reason many teams judge players by their steal rate in college. It is a good stat that translates to sucess in the nba.

I blame myself and everyone else who hyped up this draft too much. People thought it was a group of superstars when in reality it's going to be a bunch of potential all stars as they develop down the road.

Especially damaging to people who don't watch a lot of college basketball like myself!

Tell me Payton is not going to be a top 5 rookie out of this class.

This guy is a freaking stud.

We basically gambled on him being as good or better than Exum so we could take Le Freak in Gordon and mold him into a beast over a couple years.

Love it. This is the PG Orlando fans have been begging for for over 10 years.

I can't believe people whined about trading a protected pick (that will probably end up being a 2nd rounder) for a talent like this.

It's freaking hilarious.

I admit I was a bit concerned about what we gave up to move up just two spots, however I was just so thrilled that we weren't dealing with another overseas player situation like Fran (Saric) that I didn't mind too much b/c I wanted Payton (or any PG) and did NOT want Saric.

I needed something to be excited about, and I mean NEXT season, not three seasons from now, and I'm happy to have that in Payton. My GF is near heartbroken about Jameer though...

This is the problem with the media though. Guys say stuff like this and if in 4 years time Gordon is an All Star these guys will never get called out on anything. Instead they'll be on TV saying what a great job Rob has done building this team and what a great player Aaron is.

Amen, brother.

You're upset that he doesn't gamble for steals?

At this point, I'm convinced that half this board just wants something to be upset about.

Only half?

Especially damaging to people who don't watch a lot of college basketball like myself!

I admit I was a bit concerned about what we gave up to move up just two spots, however I was just so thrilled that we weren't dealing with another overseas player situation like Fran (Saric) that I didn't mind too much b/c I wanted Payton (or any PG) and did NOT want Saric.

I needed something to be excited about, and I mean NEXT season, not three seasons from now, and I'm happy to have that in Payton. My GF is near heartbroken about Jameer though...

Amen, brother.

Only half?

i was not looking for things to be upset about. I was stating my first impressions. Thus far, payton has looked like the top pg - with out yet seeing exum at 1030pm today. so a pf and pg was what i was looking for in the draft. If we drafted exum and traded the 12pick, a 1st and 2nd for a pf. It could very well be the same impact. They went with the big with the highest ceiling, which I understand.

it was stated that Gordon would have went 5 to the jazz. So we got the top pf and a super pg. I am happy. Most of my happiness comes from payton and marble thus far- based proformance and first impressions.

Payton ranked the MVP of the Orlando Summer League:

#1 Elfrid Payton, Magic

Despite being miles away from reaching his full potential considering his inexperience and inconsistent outside shooting, Payton did show off his versatility, court vision and defensive commitment during Summer League week. He approached two triple-doubles and had a solid scoring game in the finale (18 points). Payton did seem a bit overwhelmed in the first game, but he quickly restored his confidence as the week carried on.

http://www.nba.com/m...summer-league-3

• Upvote 2

You're upset that he doesn't gamble for steals?

At this point, I'm convinced that half this board just wants something to be upset about.

But steals and blocks ARE defense. It's all about impact, right? We want Josh Smith or Shawn Marion, cause those guys stats show their prime years' impact to be totally the same. If you're not getting blocks and steals it must mean you're not aware of the court. I mean, we don't want a Dennis Rodman type defender - he sucked on D. Right? Oh . . . damnit. Well, Gordon's offense still sucks, and he'll never get better. Rabble rabble rabble rabble!

But steals and blocks ARE defense. It's all about impact, right? We want Josh Smith or Shawn Marion, cause those guys stats show their prime years' impact to be totally the same. If you're not getting blocks and steals it must mean you're not aware of the court. I mean, we don't want a Dennis Rodman type defender - he sucked on D. Right? Oh . . . damnit. Well, Gordon's offense still sucks, and he'll never get better. Rabble rabble rabble rabble!

Some players get steals and blocks as they occur in the game. Others get steals and blocks by gambling and for every steal they get, they're out of position multiple times and give up points. Would you rather have a guy who gets 3 steals per game but gives up 8 points on gambling or a guy who gets 1 steal per game but is always in front of his man.

lol

I would not compare gordon to dennis. as I stated before it is more so my opinion and first impression. I also stated that gordon has shown great on ball defense thus far. Denise was both great on ball and off ball. He got some blocks and steals but taking charges was his great strength. Dennis would also close out defensive stops with rebounding. Dennis showed production on the court and was alway active.

I am a big fan of rodman. I dont see the same activity on the court to compare them. you may want to wait until gordon records his first double digit rebound game first. rodman averaged 18.7 rebs one year. tangible stat for activity

Some players get steals and blocks as they occur in the game. Others get steals and blocks by gambling and for every steal they get, they're out of position multiple times and give up points. Would you rather have a guy who gets 3 steals per game but gives up 8 points on gambling or a guy who gets 1 steal per game but is always in front of his man.

I refuse to believe Tony Allen isn't an objectively worse defensive player than Josh Smith. Look at the blocks and steals!