CTMagicUK

Summer League Thread

Relax guys, AARON GORDON IS 18 YEARS OLD. He was the youngest guy in the draft and it's the summer league. Gordon will put on weight, he'll get stronger, and he'll develop a consistent jumper IMO. We just signed Frye so he doesn't have to start for at least a year and that'll help him work on his game even more.

Channing Frye...?????

Nobody is saying his process of development will be complete in a few summer league games, where do you get this stuff? My point is that it seems wise to let the guy play his role, if he's not going to be jacking up threes (and I don't think he is) during the regular season, then what benefit does it serve letting him do it in SL? I understand it's a much more loose, and less structured style of play, but with the amount of work his offensive game needs I don't think jacking up 3's accomplishes much.

I will say that he handles the ball extremely well for a guy his size. With his athleticism if he could develop a nice pull up jumper he could be something special. Guys would be forced to respect his shot and he'd just blow right by them.

we'll see if he can develop that shot.... It's so early for him... He's 18.... I'm still waiting for Maurice's deconstructed shot to start falling.... That's what's holding his minutes back imo... If he can learn to be consistent with it then he'll be a fine player.... I could care less about pocket 3 point shooters... What I want to see is consistent shooting from 18 to 20...... That opens up their game for driving to the rim...

Gordon has ball handling skills but no idea what to do with it. It's funny.

LOL... seriously... Gordon gets the ball, starts dribbling and is like, do I cross over, do I go around the back, do I go through the legs, where is the lane at, can I jump dunk it from here.

• Upvote 1

Nobody is saying his process of development will be complete in a few summer league games, where do you get this stuff? My point is that it seems wise to let the guy play his role, if he's not going to be jacking up threes (and I don't think he is) during the regular season, then what benefit does it serve letting him do it in SL? I understand it's a much more loose, and less structured style of play, but with the amount of work his offensive game needs I don't think jacking up 3's accomplishes much.

I will say that he handles the ball extremely well for a guy his size. With his athleticism if he could develop a nice pull up jumper he could be something special. Guys would be forced to respect his shot and he'd just blow right by them.

Fair enough.... Where I get this stuff is that you and Chillups seem to want to grade this kids career before it even gets started.... I totally understand your concern, but we have to remember that players CAN develop.... some do and some don't....... You can't teach athleticism.... You can teach everything else.... Some players figure it out and others don't.... I understand that.......... We have to wait and see what we have....

LOL... seriously... Gordon gets the ball, starts dribbling and is like, do I cross over, do I go around the back, do I go through the legs, where is the lane at, can I jump dunk it from here.

He's like Mike..... Eat your heart out....... :)

lol..... His shooting was just fine when the team worked him out pre-draft..... Like any player the key will be if he can learn to calm down and actually hit the shots in a game.... It does actually take time. Some players never learn it.... Some do.....

glad you brought that up.

those pre draft workouts are useless in some areas.

i prefer to judge people on game tape, not in an empty gym at 10 am with a couple other people on the floor.

his free throw shooting is terrible because he has no touch, and i don't know how many guys who are awful foul shooters, can also develop a passable J

since his shooting looks the same as when he was in college i am going to maintain my position until he proves otherwise. he can handle the ball but can't do it well enough to get by defenders, he doesn't have a post game, he has no jump shot. what can he do? he can defend, he can dunk and he can make some passes. sounds like a role player

can't wait to hear how gordons shooting is fixable again, just brutal

if he doesn't develop a post game he is going to be a role player and nothing more

Because concluding that an 18 year old kid won't be able to improve his shooting after 2 summer league games is way more reasonable.

Payton looked like Rondo today. Hope he can develop into that sort of NBA player.

He said after the game that he is def the best pg from the draft. Hope it turns out that way. Almost a trip dub in is 2nd summer league game. Regardless of the comp it's still a great game.

glad you brought that up.

those pre draft workouts are useless in some areas.

i prefer to judge people on game tape, not in an empty gym at 10 am with a couple other people on the floor.

his free throw shooting is terrible because he has no touch, and i don't know how many guys who are awful foul shooters, can also develop a passable J

since his shooting looks the same as when he was in college i am going to maintain my position until he proves otherwise. he can handle the ball but can't do it well enough to get by defenders, he doesn't have a post game, he has no jump shot. what can he do? he can defend, he can dunk and he can make some passes. sounds like a role player

He probably will be a role player year 1, as a 19 year old rookie. Big deal.